Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 12:12

Plan: CKD
Stats: 324/171/180
BF:55%/20%/8%
Progress: 106%
Default Question on Flax Seeds

I use psyllium seeds to get most of the extra fiber that I need, but they are darn expenssive. I bought some flax seeds to compliment the psyllium but I have a few questions about whole flax seeds.

1) The nutritional value of a serving of seeds is 4.5g fat, 3g protein, 4g of fiber.

2) If I don't grind the seeds up, do any of the nutrients get absorbed?

3) Do I need to store the whole seeds in the refridgerator as well, or will a dry, cool place do?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 18:03

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default milled flax vs. flax seed oil?

I was just looking for a spot to post a very similar question! Sorry, just tagging on to see if we both can get answers. My question is, does it really make a difference if I get milled flax in small amounts and buy frequently, or do I NEED to get the whole seed and mill daily? Is it like whole bean coffe and grinding it daily for best flavor or is there significant value to daily fresh grinding? Also, other than the fiber aspect, which by the way has greatly improved my daily living , is there any reason to stick with the flax seed, or just go for the oil?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 18:33

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi, it so happens that I make crackers from flax seeds. They are great for locarbing.
If you don't grind them up you have to chew them really really really well or they pass through untouched.
Store in a cool dry place. No refrigeration necessary. But you DO need to refrigerate flax oil.
To make crackers, soak 1C whole flax seeds for 4hours in two cups water. Drain off the water, but save the gel. The gel is an excellent fiber source, and has a neutral taste.
Toss in a little sea salt. You can also add peppers, spices, a jar of salsa, etc.
Spread it all on a non-stick cookie sheet evenly, about 1/8 inch thick.
Dehydrate them in your oven on it's lowest setting. When it starts to firm up, score with the back side of a knife into cracker size. Let them dry all the way crispy. This doesn't need to cook per se.
BTW, for bulking and regularity use psyillium seed husks, which are cheap. Not psyillium seeds.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: Kaufman, Atkins
Stats: 142/130/110
BF:22% or so
Progress: 38%

Hmmm--this is an older post but I just found it, in the nick of time. I have some flax seed that is organic, cold milled. It is ground, not whole. You are supposed to use a few tablespoons a day, but I haven't done very well and it is supposed to be used within 45 days of opening. I wonder if it would work exactly the same way as with the whole seeds? I might as well try as they will just sit there otherwise. They do have 4 carbs for 2 tbsp. but hopefully that is a couple of BIG crackers!

I did run across a recipe that used psyllium seed (husks, I guess?) last night but I can't seem to put my hands on it at the moment. It said that it was basically free of carbs and tasted good.

Marj