Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 16:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/127/129 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Crystal Light slurpee at 7-11??

Hey!

I saw something at 7-11 ... it was a crystal light slurpee and was labelled 'sugar free'.. I didn't try it though as I am thinking it is too good to be true.

Anyone know anything about this? My husband tried one and he said you can tell it has no sugar (he isn't on LC). I didn't try any since I don't believe it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 17:31
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I heard about it late yesterday but the weather in Winnipeg has been the pits today. I will be trying one though and I would trust that it is ok for two reasons - Crystal Light normally has no sugar and I can't see their brand being used with a product having sugar. 2nd the fall out from serving a labeled sugar free product that has sugar would be unbelievable. If you are low carbing because you want to then a little sugar would throw you off, really annoy you and might even make you mad, but for a diabetic worse could happen. Once my Dad got regular Pepsi in a case of Diet Pepsi - it was amazing the lengths that Pepsi went to set it straight.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 22:11

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Had a "raspberry ice" crystal light slurpee today that i got at a local 711. SOrry but it was rather disgusting IMO....
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 09:08

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

Sounds safe to me. Since I am a Type 1 Diabetic, I always carry my blood glucose monitoring supplies with me. I place a drip of the drink on the test strip to see if there is any sugar....it would pick it up, if there was. Some ketone test strips are dual strips - they check for ketones (purple side) AND glucose (green side). That is always an option.

I look forward to trying these drinks at 7-11. About time!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 10:48

Plan: Own
Stats: 350/249/190 Male 69"
BF:Nope, straight
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Had a "raspberry ice" crystal light slurpee today that i got at a local 711. SOrry but it was rather disgusting IMO....

Raspberry ice crystal light just isn't good as a drink, to me and most people I've known who've tried it. Try lemonade, pink lemonade or the orange sunrise.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 16:24
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

Well I had one today and I'd buy it again. I thought it was pretty good - but then it's been 2 years since I've had a slurpee.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 19:01

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Ah, I guess I gotta go to 7-11 since I saw that they were "Coming Soon" and I love the raspberry flavor hehee. I love slurpees too!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 14:27
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I haven't had a slurpee for almost TEN years... I can't believe they have sugar free slurpees!! I'll definitely be looking for one this weekend, even though the weather is crappy and cool here!

Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 05:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I tried one and I thought it was pretty good. It was hot here yesterday.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 16:44

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

They are pretty good I got a huge one and drank the whole thing, yeah, you KNOW I didn't feel great after that hahaha.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 06:48
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I finally got one on the weekend, and I really liked it! I don't think that we have any flavours but Raspberry Ice, though. I heard an ad on the radio, and they only mentioned the raspberry flavour.

Jenn
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 11:16

Stats: 154/146/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I've had two. The first one was so good and I was so thrilled to be able to have a cold treat. The second one was just as good, but within an hour I was glued to the toilet and I swear the stuff acted like Drano!! Not sure if I'll be getting another one any time soon. Maybe I'm just not used to having so much aspartame.

Last edited by hap2cu : Tue, Jun-14-05 at 12:24.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 12:10

Stats: 265/150/- Male 192cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hap2cu
I've had two. The first one was so good and I was so thrilled to be able to have a cold treat. The second one was just as good, but within an hour I was glued to the toilet and I swear the stuff acted like Drano!! Not sure if I'll be getting another one any time soon. Maybe I'm just not used to having so much aspartame.

I don't think it was aspartame; they must use a sugar alcohol like maltitol or hydrolyzed starch hydrolysate because I had the same laxative effect as eating no sugar added ice cream or candies. I wish 7-11 would post an ingredients list for the sugar free slurpee's because if it does contain maltitol or other polyols they still contain some carbs and 1/2 to 3/4 the calories of sugar. Here is a good explanation of Sugar Alcohols http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 12:28

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar-Free
I don't think it was aspartame; they must use a sugar alcohol like maltitol or hydrolyzed starch hydrolysate because I had the same laxative effect as eating no sugar added ice cream or candies. I wish 7-11 would post an ingredients list for the sugar free slurpee's because if it does contain maltitol or other polyols they still contain some carbs and 1/2 to 3/4 the calories of sugar. Here is a good explanation of Sugar Alcohols http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html

Some stores do post the ingredients, including the one nearest me. They contain sorbitol in large amounts.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-06, 14:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/194/125 Female 5.0
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Probably not the aspartame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hap2cu

Hi. I looked up the ingredients of this online and it said it has sugar alcohols in it. They can give you diahreah, bloating, gas...sound familar? I ate some protien bars with very little carbs but they had a lot of the sugar alcohols and it messed me up for days not to mention the same symptoms you had after drinking this stuff. I tried one today but only drank a little and decided (since it was so sweet) to find out what was in there. Oh oh. Gonna dump the rest down the drain even though it tasted okay. ;-)
LOL