Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 21:15

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Any marathon runners out there

Hi everyone

I ran marathons in college at around 140lbs (5' 6")

through the 90s, work, family, etc I gained 75 pounds (ouch).

Last year, I managed to lose 45, with lots of running and loosely eating a Sugarbusters type of diet. I ran 3 marathons.
I have had trouble losing more weight and I know LC to be effective. Is anyone doing any serious running and following a reduced carb diet. I'd really like to see another 20 come off.
Thanks.

Last edited by kghamilton : Tue, Feb-18-03 at 21:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 14:43

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%

way to go!!
Yes I have been low carb for a very long while. I run 10 miles per day and and maybe one long run on the weekends. I get my carbs from veggies. I feel great!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 16:04

BF:

10 miles per day and low carb?

Wich vegetables do you eat?
How many carbs on average do you take in?

I've got 3 marathons this year and I'm trying to figure out a diet that I can live with and lose another 15-20 pounds. Thanks.

Ken
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 16:14

BF:

Yes ten per day! Today I did 15!!! Yesterday I ate very low carb by accident- just never got them in! I had a steak, salmon, eggs, and for veggies 2 salads. I usually have more vegetables though. The usual ones - salads and broccolli, cauliflower. You can do it!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 16:22

BF:

Glad to see such a prompt response.
I haven't been able to run much without feeling really lethargic on my runs after a few days of low carbs.

Do you get better at it after your body becomes more efficient at burning fat?

Right now, I'm doing low carb and carb loading the day before my long run (I run 16-23 on Sat or Sun). This is something new that I'm trying.

Thanks

Last edited by kghamilton : Sat, Feb-22-03 at 16:23.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 09:37

BF:

Hi again! Yes it does get much easier. But don't forget, I eat salads and that really does the trick for me. I don't need any additional carbs. I have never carb loaded only becaudse I did not need to. I don't do fruit either. Keep up the great work! Water Water Water!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 11:12

BF:

Thanks for your tips. I'm going to try it this week and give up on the fruit. I generally drink a fair amount of oj.

Three questions
Do you drink any vegetable juices?

Any idea on how many carbs a day you might actually be getting?

Do you use any types of special salad dressing?

Sorry for all the questions; but thanks for the information.

Last edited by kghamilton : Sun, Feb-23-03 at 11:25.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 18:11

BF:

I just realized you are from NC. You are soooo lucky! You would not believe the weather we have had in CT this winter! some of my runs were in temps of minus 20!
To answer your questions:
Never any veg juices. Before I run if I eat I have almond butter rolled in protein powder.
After my run a HUGE omlet with what ever - mushrooms pepppers, cream cheese, etc. Not big on regular cheese.
Salad dressing is straight olive oil. Sometimes real blue cheese. lots and lots of mayo on everything from salads to fish and chicken.
How many carbs? Not really sure. All veggies are fresh - well as fresh as we get at a grocery store in CT in the middle of winter!! I eat alot of orange and yellow peppers. lots of "watery" crisp vegetables. All of this has enough energy to sustain me. I probably eat more fat than anything else.
The best thing about this is it takes the "worry" out of my runs. I never have to pre plan. From the diet I am always well hydrated and my energy is level from all of the fat. Give it a try. Your stats look great!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 03:43

BF:

That sounds very interesting, I'm definitely going to try it.

I'm actually from Canada, I've only been here three years.
One of my biggest problems was always trying to keep running in the winter. It sounds like your doing better than I did at it.

I never even thought of real blue cheese. I think that will be my next purchase!
It also sounds like you're not too worried about counting, which is also great. People are doing so much math over their carb intake. If you exercise and eat right, it shouldn't be that stressful over a carb here and there.

Thanks...I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited by kghamilton : Mon, Feb-24-03 at 03:47.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 11:13

BF:

I am so proud of you! I used to be very scared of the weather. Cold, rain, wind, ice, etc.. Every time I thought I was being "smart" by skipping my run due to the weather I would hear someone talk aboout what a great run they had! I "faced my fears" and started to challenge myself. It was such a great feeling to know you are out running in snow etc.. while others are sleeping in! Even as recent as yesterday...a friend of mine is training for a March marathon and did not run because we had terrential downpours and some lightening. (We run at 3:15 am) I ran after the lightning stopped and - big deal- got wet! Still had a great 10! Today - major ice on the road but managed to get the goal! There is a great site called connectors.com. They have a no excuse email everyday - sign up it is great! Committ to your plan, you won't be disappointed!
As for counting...never! Like you said, as long as it is low carb and natural I feel good. I would count if I ate chemical or frankenfoods - but I don't!
Stay health and keep me posted on you progress!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default Another great thread Ken.

Looks like we found some more long distance LC data!

JKMOM it sounds like you have no problem at all with keeping up the miles while LC. I think that is great news. Currently I am still a few pounds away from building any distance. It has been ten years since I last ran, that and quite a few pounds. I am taking it slow and using weight training to lose the weight. I'll start adding the miles after I get below 200.
I have been running two to three miles and feeling ok. I'm so out of shape I would'nt know if I was tired from that or from the LC!!

I'm getting there though..
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/145/135
BF:
Progress: 60%
Smile marathons

I've been training for a marathon am just now up to 12 miles. It feels like I've hit a brick wall, though, when I reach 12 miles. I don't run very fast -- about 12-minute miles on long runs -- so when I get to 12 miles I've been running for about 2 and a half hours. I probably eat about 40 carbs a day, but on these long runs sometimes I have that very weak, no energy feeling like I've been fasting. I don't eat fruit, but I do eat low-carb bread (5 grams a slice, 2 slices a day maximum). The short runs are wonderful and I can run them faster. I used to do the short runs on 20 carbs a day with no problem. While I was a competitive middle-distance runner 10 years ago, I don't know anything about marathon running. I've been reading on marathons but all of the training programs seem geared towards a high carb diet. I know everyone's body is different, and it seems that I need more energy, but I don't want sugar or high-carb products to be a part of my life. Have you found anything particularly helpful (i.e. eating more vegetables than meat, less dairy, etc.)? Thanks so much!

Liv
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:56

BF:

JK,
Now I have to worry more about the heat and humidity than the cold. but there really are no excuses. Do you race at all or just run for enjoyment? Keep up the great work.

I ate more vegetables in the past 2 days than I have in about a month...

I got the website of some electrical company for connectors.com. Could you double check that when you have chance. Thanks.

We may soon need a runner's forum

Last edited by kghamilton : Mon, Feb-24-03 at 16:09.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:34

BF:

Too funny! Sorry about the website! I have the info at work I will get it to you ASAP! It has something to do with bob green and Oprah. I think it might be connecting connectors . com (?) I am proud of your veg intake!!! I hope you feel good.
In response to Maine daddy- Way To Go!! Get out there and put in the miles- You CAN do it!!! I also weight train - (I do personal training as a side job) and find the training has really improved my running. Don't stop the weights!!
Livvy --great work!!! Keep it up! Try adding more fat like almond butter to your diet. It sounds like you need more pre run fuel. I take a tbsp of almond butter and roll it in protein powder. This is a handy snack and you can bring it with you on your run. While my running group eats goo, I eat this! They laugh!

You guys are wonderful! Keep up the hard work and you will be so glad you did! You make me proud! I will think of you when everyone talks about their pasta carbo load while I am eating steak! Great to know I have support!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 18:04

BF:

Where do you buy almond butter? I don't thnik I've seen it. I take soy protein every day, might be a good change of pace with the almond butter.