Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 22:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%
Default Pilates Fans here we go!

Ok everyone, since there's been so much talk about Pilates, and since I absolutely LOVE Pilates, I figured why not have a thread about it? We can post advice, ideas, tips on good DVD's, motivate each other, etc. I think it would be great, we could also keep each other 'in line' and make sure we're doing our Pilates!
I did post this thread in this forum because I was posting about people doing Atkins who are into Pilates...also, there was a big discussion regarding Pilates in this forum, so I wanted the people who come to this forum to see it. I hope it doesn't get moved!

Anyway, I just got done doing my Pilates. I did the Winsor Pilates 20 minute workout. WOW I love that workout! I decided for Christmas to tell everyone who is getting me something to please get me something workout related, especially more Pilates DVD's. I'm sooooo hooked on them! And I need my variety! I'm hoping someone get's me some hand and ankle weights also. That would be great!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 22:27

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Exclamation

i don't think the pilates i have is winsor pilates, but i will buy them soon. I also just did my routine for the night. I did it earlier today, but i felt energetic tonight and figured it couldn't hurt. I am more of a night person, so this is probably when i'll end up working out. Since i am new to this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. in the meantime, i'm just gonna take it slow and try to keep with my two week committment.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 22:29

becky, WOW, you did it twice today??? YOU GO GIRL!!!! See what I mean about Pilates getting addictive? LOL! A month ago you couldn't have convinced me at ALL that I would actually say something like the above about ANY exercise program
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 22:42

BF:

i would never have tried it if you hadn't told me it was worth it. i appreciate yu starting a thread like this.you never realize how much sharing your experiences can help someone.THANKS!!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 22:56

Stats: 308.6/299.2/199 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have to go get them first!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 23:35

becky, I'm so glad you're doing well with them! I love being able to help, and I have found SO much help from others here! I simply could NOT live without the forums, the people, and all the great advice around here!

krs1One ~ lol! That'd be a good start!

SHOOT the thread got moved anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 17:03

Where are all the Pilates people!? Everyone disappeared..I thought we were all geared up to support eachother and give eachother a kick in the behind if we got lazy??? heh
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 14:28

BF:

lazy? who me? I have been christmas shopping frantically for the past few days. but i've stayed on with my pilates routine and only "sort of" slipped on the diet. pretty good considering the holidays.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 14:43

Stats: 286/286/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know a girl who lost tons of inches, didn't change her eating habits at all but never missed a day with winsor pilates and she looks fabulous!
I bought the tapes but of course am procrastinating. Have to start soon.
Maureen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 14:59

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, everyone~

I just received my 20-minute Winsor Pilates DVD and haven't looked at it yet.

I'm posting just to ask anyone who is familiar with the workout to offer advice, tips, experiences, suggestions, etc. to help out with the workout, since I will probably take my first peek at it tomorrow.

Thanks a lot!

Best, Sona
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 22:12

Hi Sona,

I've been doing the Pilates workout for about 4 weeks now, and one thing I can tell you is if you cannot do all of the moves at first (which I don't think most people can) definitely follow the woman called 'dagne'. They put her on there and she shows the modified version of the moves for people who have back/neck problems, etc.
Also, I've found that if I'm having a problem with a move (for example, I have this bad habit of subconsciously using my neck for momentum as opposed to my 'powerhouse') I will put my head down and do the moves exactly the way they are being done, but without taking my head/shoulders off the floor.

You will be AMAZED at how fast the 20 minutes goes! It's a great workout! I won't say it's easy, because it's not, but it's MUCH better than other workouts, in my opinion. I've been doing it about a month and I can already see/feel the difference, plus the proof is there, because I can do some of the moves that I couldn't do in the beginning.

My last piece of advice ~ Stick with it! I think you'll LOVE the results of it if you do it at least 3 X's a week!

Good luck, and please feel free to join us here to chat about it!

Maureen ~ I believe it! I lost 4 inches already and I've only been doing it for a month! Plus I feel stronger, and amazingly, my lower back problems seem to have VANISHED!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 14:01

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for tips, Jadeca! I will be starting on Wednesday (it's gym time tomorrow), so I'll let you know how it goes.

Best, Sona
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 02:30
AlphaKitty

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 171/130/105 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Newbie here - both to the forums and to Pilates - but I hope you don't mind my jumping in! I wanted to mention that I've only done Pilates 8 times (Winsor 20 minute one), but I, too, am noticing a change. The exercises are getting easier and my jeans aren't quite so tight. My neck must be really weak, because I think that's where I feel it the most! LOL! I really wondered if I would be able to stick it out. The first couple of workouts left my rear end SO sore. I don't know if I just adjusted or if it was that I started working out on top of a sleeping bag, but the pain is gone. I was really wondering if this is something everybody goes through or if I'm just a weenie.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 15:01

kholland,

Welcome!

Feel free to join in, of course! Aren't Pilates awesome?! I too was having trouble when I first started them because I was using my neck and shoulders too much to do the work instead of using my 'powerhouse.' I am definitely finding it easier now though, since I've been doing it for a month.
BELIEVE me, you are not the only one that goes through it! I felt like SUCH an out of shape weakling when I first started doing the program! I couldn't do much more than half the moves, and it was very daunting! However I stuck with it and am finding myself doing the moves better and more now than I thought I would. There are still some parts where I have to put my head down and do it that way because my torso and abdomen still aren't strong enough to support me fully, but I can definitely see a change!

Good luck and be sure to come back, it's nice to have you here!

Michele
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 15:12

Stats: 304/249/175 Female 5'7
BF:don't/wanna/know
Progress: 43%

I'm working on it! I have the Pilates for Dummies DVD. I felt like such a retard doing them. I could hardly do most of the moves/poses. My daughter was watching me for entertainment! I can't lie, I felt great after doing it, but it was so BORING! But, I will try to get back on track. I hear rave reviews on it!