Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 08:07
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/125/101 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Questions abt induction

1. Im 1.53m and 113pounds and im hoping to lose abt 10pounds. 10-12 times my weight is 1130-1356. I find it hard to consume so little cal and consume abt 1500cal most of the time. Muz i restict my cal to below 1356?

2. Mayonnaise contains sugar as an ingredient. Is it ok so long as i stay below 20g of carbs a day? I use Best Foods Real Mayonnaise and din find anything much on it on the mayonnaise thread in hot links

3. I use artificial sweetener of the brand Hermesetas, which uses saccharin. It's in a small tablet-like form and its label says zero cal, and carb. Do i need to limit my daily intake of this or add anything to my daily carb count when i take it?

4. Can soybean products such as soybean curd and soybean milk and tofu be taken during induction? No sugars added, artificial sweeteners used. I take quite alot of it when on induction.

5. Im Asian so i used to take alot of chilli sauce? It contains sugar and starch. Can it be taken during induction, in moderation and adding to daily carb count? Or is it not allowed altogether? If allowed, how much a day? If not allowed, any suggestions for substitutes?

6. I'm quite confused abt the diet's requirement of not consuming sugars. Why is it that certain foods with sugars (such as mayonaise and cream cheese) is allowed, just have to take note of their contribution to the carb count for the day. While sugar substitutes instead of sugar must be used in coffee and tea. So when Dr Atkins says to be careful of ingredients such as corn syrup in hotdogs, does that mean we cannot take hotdog which contain corn syrup or starch as ingredients during induction? Or can we take it in moderation, just to remember to add to carb count for the day? From the rules of induction it seems that no sugar is allowed. However, certain foods which contain sugars are in the Acceptable foods list. So does it mean that sugar can be taken during induction but to choose the foods to take it in wisely?

7. Can breaded fish (for eg fish n chips without the chips) be taken? (adding to daily carb count but staying below 20g per day.

8. what'll happen if one has been consuming less than 20g of carbs a day for some time but one day, consume 2-3 g of carbs above the 20g daily limit due to undercounting certain things such as soy sauce, salt and pepper and other small things? What will be the effects of the slight overconsumption on weight loss? Im worried abt counting and consuming exactly 20g of carbs daily as im afraid i may have left out 1 or 2 g of carbs somewhere.

9. What is the carb count of 1 cup of coleslaw from Swensen's or bought from outside or fast foods such as Long John's Silver? Doesn't taste like sugar has been added. There is some strips of carrots mixed with the cabbage though. Is this acceptable?

10. I cannot find any fibre supplements without sugars or aspartame and resorted to consuming dulcolax, a medication for constipation. But my constipation problem has not improved. What else can i do?

11. The carb counter on the Atkins site says that firm tofu contains 1.5 g carb per 4 oz. Those sold in supermarkets show 1.2g per piece (abt 7oz). I get my tofu from the market. So what is the carb count I shld put to this firm tofu?

12. Is all soy milk only 1.2g of carb per 8 fl oz? As I drink up to 3 cups of soy milk a day, I'm afraid that mis-counting its carbs can be disatrous.

Thanks for helping me in answering all these...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 09:28

Plan: My Own Mad Creation
Stats: 350/339/175
BF:
Progress: 6%

I really believe you need to read the Atkins book cover to cover before you start if you haven't done so already. It will answer many of your questions.

1. Calorie restriction is not a part of the Atkins nutritional approach. You will most likely find that after 2 days of restricting your carbohydrate intake to 20g or less, your hunger will evaporate. I've been in ketosis for a few days and have to remind myself to eat. I believe my total calorie intake has reduced greatly without my having to keep track of it or worry about it.

2. Store-bought mayonaise most likely contains hydrogenated and trans-fatty acids, which are very unhealthful. If you really want to use it, though, the amount of sugar in it is negligable. I just looked at the label on my jar of Hellman's (same as Bestfoods) and it said 0 carbs per 1 tablespoon serving. In the USA labels can still say zero even if the amount of carbohydrate is a fraction of a gram in some cases. Personally, I see no need to use mayonaise very much because I normally think of it as a sandwich spread; I eat no bread, so no spread is needed. If you normally use it as an ingredient in salad dressing, you may want to try to make an emulsification using white wine vinegar, dijon, and while beating with a whisk, adding oil (canola or olive) slowly in a thin stream. Continue beating until the mixture thickens and is very opaque.

3. Saccharin is allowed on Atkins, or at least was in older editions of his book. Look on the ingredient label. If you see anything on it that looks or sounds like "maltodextin", it'd be wise to count each teaspoon or packet as 1g carbohydrate. If it's just saccharin, though, you don't have to count it towards your daily carbs. Be mindful though that your body will release some insulin whenever it thinks it's getting sugar, and the sweet taste of many artificial sweeteners may cause such a release of insulin, which will slow down your weight loss.

4. You can use tofu, but beware that it contains carbohydrates. Measure your portion and count the carbohydrates towards your daily 20g.

5. Look for the carb count on the label of your chili sauce. If you can find none, I personally wouldn't use it. You may want to try an American style hot sauce like Tobasco brand. The ingredient list is: peppers, vinegar, salt, which are all alowed on induction. The label says 0g carb.

6. The small amounts of sugar in something like a hot dog won't really effect one's blood sugar or insulin lever very much or at all. A tiny amount of sugar and starch, when combined with considerable protein and fat, is absorbed much more slowly than a teaspoon of sugar in one's tea.

7. Breaded anything is a bad idea and should not be taken. It would have too much starch. One alternative I use (I'm not doing Atkins per se so I don't follow all the induction rules) is to chop some nuts very finely into a powder in my food processor. I dip a pounded chicken breast into a beaten egg, and then coat it with about 2 tablespoons of the nut powder, and fry it in my large skillet.

8. Try writing down what you consume. I shoot for about 10g CHO (that's short for carbohydrates) a day to give myself some wiggle room. I do that because I'm incredibly insulin resistant (and want to manically loose weight quickly so I will fit in the airplane seat when I fly to San Francisco in December) Fortunately for you, even if you ate a few grams more than the 20g CHO allowed you'd probably still maintain ketosis, especially in the first two weeks of the diet.

9. There's almost always sugar in cole slaw even if it doesn't taste like it. I'd avoid it. I do plan on attempting a low carb dressing experiment soon though. I'm going to try to make the traditional california sweet and hot cole slaw boiled dressing with splenda.

10. If you have anything like a Whole Foods or Wild Oats or some other health food store with a bulk bin section. Look for rice bran among the bins. I find that a tablespoon of it with food twice a day works well.

11. Always follow the label on the food product. Carb counters are a fall-back tool for foods that come without labels, like fresh fruit and veggies, etc.

12. According to my glass pyrex measureing cup, 8 fluid ounces equals one cup. I would always measure a beverage like soy milk. Atkins does exclude regular milk from induction though. Personally, I'd avoid soy milk all together.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Good luck on your weight loss! Just remember that approximately the first seven pounds you loose will be water. You may want to over-shoot your goal a bit.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 09:39

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there......

That's quite a list of questions you have there!!

I'd like to make a suggestion: Why not start a journal? It will give you a place to collect all of your questions and answers so that they can all be together for your ready reference. It will also give the rest of us a place to visit you and offer encouragement.

1. You say that you are doing Atkins Induction and his instructions say that the only thing you need to count are carbs. (See page 143 of the latest edition of DANDR)

2. Just count the carbs in the Mayo. Alternatively, you could make your own using an A/S.

3. Atkins say to use saccarine in "moderate" quantities. (See page 128 of the latest edition of DANDR)

4. I don't see tofu or soybean products on the list of allowable foods during Induction.

5. Rule 5 of Rules of Induction: Eat nothing that is not on the acceptable foods list. (See page 123 of the latest edition of DANDR)

6. Refer to Rule 5 of Rules of Induction. The idea is to eliminate sugar as much as possible. Spend your 20 daily carbs on high nutrition carbs: Vegetables.

7. No. Rule 4 of Induction: Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, ...... (See page 123 of the latest edition of DANDR)

8. It won't hurt for you to be 2-3 carbs over or under the daily limit as long as those carbs are coming from approved carb sources...preferable high nutrition sources: Vegetables.

9. I don't know the carb count, but I'd be avoiding anything where I didn't know for sure what was in it.

10. Spend your carbs on high fiber vegetables.

11. See answer to question 4. After Induction I'd be only using products that give their carb count on the packaging.

12. See answer to question 4. After Induction I'd be only using products that give their carb count on the packaging.

HTH
Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 10:20
Registered Member

Stats: 165/157/142
BF:39%
Progress: 35%
Thumbs up Encouragement!

Hi BabyJJ!
I've got to say how much I admire your efforts! It can't be easy for someone in the Asian culture to do this diet-eliminating rice, tofu and your much-loved chili sauce! I don't have answers to your individual questions, but I can add a few tips: 1. Hot dogs vary in their carb content-some have a lot of cereal for filler, therefore a higher carb count, so check labels 2. Red pepper-especially crushed red pepper is a good carb-free spice 3. I recently made eggplant parmesean by slicing the eggplant, dipping in beaten egg and parmesean cheese and spices,then frying each slice in olive oil. It came out crispy and golden. That's another "breading" method without the carbs. Good luck! Lynda
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 19:25
Pending Member

Stats: 125/125/101 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanx so much for all the advice... I haven gotten the book coz the libraries here dun seem to haf it n i've juz completed my studies n is on some sort of budget.. i've been reading all i can from the atkins website and forum though..

yes lyndat i do find it a little hard to do this when i am used to eating Asian cuisines all my life... Read many posts (here n in other forums) of pp mentioning missing chinese food n how it is a big no-no. Also, products in supermarkets here dun always come with nutrition labels. N i cant find any sauce that's LC, as in LC tomato sauce and so on.. So its really a little hard but i try my best to stick to it.

After all this advice, guess im coming out of the Fat Fast n doing the Induction again. This time minus the soy milk and tofu (i hope i can do it!)

N as for starting a journal here, may i noe wat's the diff between starting one here and posting the link to my fitday one..

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...ml?Owner=BabyJJ