Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 04:10

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default 4 pounds in 2 days on Paleo

I am not new to the forum but I am on a restart. Lots of stress lately has led to me gaining almost 20 pounds and I was getting nervous so a couple of days I went back to Paleo and even with TOM arriving yesterday I have dropped over 4 pounds. This is such a confirmation to me that this is a healthy way of eating . NO other lifestyle has ever helped me lose this kind of weight and I am so thankful to have found this forum as a way of support along the way. I have had my share of starts and stops and I really feel committed to concentrating on my Paleo my way of eating for life. Nothing feels as good as feeling healthy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 08:29

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Puppetlady,

I just saw a posting from you-I believe 2007, involving fibromyalgia and grains. Today I decided to look more into the Paleo way of eating and here you are again! I have basically been just watching my carbs, but after some slip ups,I see the light when it comes to pain and grains. A few weeks ago I decided to get some whole grain rye bread- real dense stuff. Oh the pain the next day was unreal in my left shoulder and arm. Well, monday I decided to have a bowl of wheat puff cereal and again, the worst pain immaginable. Now question is- can I have the gluten free bread I see in the health food section? I miss bread the most on my low carb diet,but Iam finally admiting to the fact that I have an allergy to grains.I have never read a book on Paleo, but will get one next week after pay day. Any recommendations?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 10:55

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

It's almost all water, you know. I'm not saying this to discourage you, but your weight loss is going to slow down dramatically for sure and you shouldn't get disappointed when it happens, because the diet still works.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-10, 18:58

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram
Puppetlady,

I just saw a posting from you-I believe 2007, involving fibromyalgia and grains. Today I decided to look more into the Paleo way of eating and here you are again! I have basically been just watching my carbs, but after some slip ups,I see the light when it comes to pain and grains. A few weeks ago I decided to get some whole grain rye bread- real dense stuff. Oh the pain the next day was unreal in my left shoulder and arm. Well, monday I decided to have a bowl of wheat puff cereal and again, the worst pain immaginable. Now question is- can I have the gluten free bread I see in the health food section? I miss bread the most on my low carb diet,but Iam finally admiting to the fact that I have an allergy to grains.I have never read a book on Paleo, but will get one next week after pay day. Any recommendations?

gluten free breads are generally made from a combination of "flours". some are potato and tapioca, others have rice or corn flour. you would have to try a variety to see if they exacerbated your pain or not, but if you think grains are the culprit then find a brand that uses only root flours (assuming you don't react to nightshades)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-10, 21:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you're trying to lose weight, I'd skip the gluten free breads, they're carbier than regular bread because wheat is comparatively higher in protein than non-gluten flours, which often contain tapioca or potato starch.

Why don't you try some of the coconut flour or flax meal breads in the cooking forum? I've been making some pretty good almond meal biscuits from http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-10, 01:04

I just give up "breads" all together. I find that I do better not trying to replicate carby foods.It leaves me feeling dissatisfied and still looking for the "real" thing even though the real thing isn't good for me at all. I use a lot of romaine wraps instead.

Everyone is different but I am allergic to lots of nuts and also can't eat nightshades so for me it just isn't worth the hassle.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-10, 02:30

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

As you say we are all different. I tried the gluten free route but I only dropped weight when I cut back the total carbs. For me it doesn't matter if it's grains or starchy veg, I gain weight when I eat too many carbs. However if your goal is not to lose weight but just avoid the pain it is worth trying some of the other breads. Now I've been at this a while I find it easier to do without than to try and produce alternative bread. You do get used to it.

I'm semi paleo - more primal blueprint aka Marks Daily Apple.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-10, 07:19

Plan: CAD
Stats: 167/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you feel better AND you are losing, go for it!!

Congrats on finding a good plan for you!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-10, 08:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppetlady
I just give up "breads" all together. I find that I do better not trying to replicate carby foods.It leaves me feeling dissatisfied and still looking for the "real" thing even though the real thing isn't good for me at all. I use a lot of romaine wraps instead.

Everyone is different but I am allergic to lots of nuts and also can't eat nightshades so for me it just isn't worth the hassle.

Yeah! That's an even better idea.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-10, 10:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/249/165 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Congrats on the weightloss puppetlady! Even if the initial loss is mostly water, it's still extra weight you were carrying around and as far as I'm concerned properly balancing our fluids and electrolytes is just as important as fat loss. Keep up the good work!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-10, 13:25

"Congrats on the weightloss puppetlady! "

Thank you for the encouragement. My husband just announced that he wants
to go for Pizza where they make fresh dough and I have already decided I am having Chicken Salad while I am there with the fruit cup. Hooray for me!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 12:40

Plan: PaleoNu
Stats: 157/145/145 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
It's almost all water, you know. I'm not saying this to discourage you, but your weight loss is going to slow down dramatically for sure and you shouldn't get disappointed when it happens, because the diet still works.

I would add that losing "water weight" is every bit as important and useful as losing "real" weight. One reason that one might have so much water weight in the first place is because the elevated insulin levels in the body increase sodium retention and thereby water retention. Losing the water weight is the first physiological sign that this is being reversed, allowing for your blood pressure to normalize.

All in all, congratulations on the great progress!