Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#241   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 12:26

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just wanted to add that even though I had increased my carb intake for several days, it never got over 10% of my calories. I'm not worried about the extra protein turning to glucose (the body does need a tad bit of glucose anyway). From what I've read, that only happens in rare situations. I'd have to find the reference, and don't have time to find it now.

I've already read in MANY places that if you have fat to lose, your fat intake should not be really high, even on a ketogenic plan.

Who knows? Each of us has to figure out what works and what doesn't. So personalized.

I'm going to try the higher protein, lower fat, VERY few carbs (if any) for a week or so and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 13:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Protein into glucose isn't rare. It's just not that fast.

And--when we're talking about high fat ratio versus other ketogenic plans, things are very different. There is absolutely no doubt that the ketogenic diet given for epilepsy, or the one advocated by D'Agostino and Seyfield will increase ketone metabolism and decrease glucose metabolism. The studies sourced by smart folk like Amber O'Hearn don't actually address protein in those ranges.

Suppose I eat lots of protein. Maybe I'll increase my lean mass. I won't turn into the Hulk. Once I've hit the point of minimal return, any increase from increasing protein will be... minimal.

Now, if habitual protein intake relates to levels of gluconeogenesis in a ketogenic diet--is there reason to believe that no matter how much protein you take in, your body will just keep ramping up glucose production? Or will the process become saturated at some point--and then increasing protein will no more increase glucose synthesis, than increasing protein in the other example would make me Hulk out? Will added protein increase gluconeogenesis? Maybe the question is backwards--is there some point of decreased protein intake where gluconeogenesis will be decreased? We already know of one--fasting. Answer the question, and you'll know that as long as the starting protein is below that point--then adding protein will increase glucose production, until you get to that point of diminished returns.
  #243   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 14:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default The Boulder Carnivore Conference

From Dr. Georgia Ede's recent newsletter:

Quote:
"I'm excited to announce that the world's first carnivore conference dedicated to the science and health effects of plant-free diets will take place on Thursday March 7th, 2019 in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. This pioneering event is the brainchild of the brilliant Amber O'Hearn, who has deep knowledge of and long experience with plant-free diets. Whether you are already purely carnivorous or just curious to see what all the fuss is about around this hot micro-trend, I hope to see you there! You'll want to register ASAP, as space is limited to approx 200 people. Ticket prices go up Jan 1st (if there are any left). The international speaker lineup is fabulous. My presentation title is yet to be announced but my talk will include information about the mental health implications of carnivory. Registration includes catered plant-free lunch."

Conference link:
https://carnivorycon.com/info/?utm_...619a98-97647217
  #244   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 15:13

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
good to see you around here Uberfat! I have experimented with Carb intake too, over carbing and my body weight shoots up 20 lbs in 3 days then stablilizes - feel crummy but not sick or craving. return to very low carb or straight fasting and return to normal pertty quickly. Eating carbs is "fun" but not worth it - I think they are over rated

I've yet to try zero carb - may give that a shot after some experimenting with strict alternate day fasting - maybe I can do that with zero carb...

PS, I still can't find a good source of lamb fat here in USA haha! Later UBER.

haha, yes lamb fat is something rare but you have pork . if it is natural produced pork i guess it will be very healthy too.
in thailand villagers never eat pork from supermarkets but they buy from street market raw fresh. I guess in foreign countries they call it organic.
pork ribs one of the most delicious food in the world so if i could find in Turkey i would eat very often. i suggest try natural pork. good thing about pork is everywhere body fat
also very very very cheap
yummy.
  #245   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 04:33

Plan: keto
Stats: 156/127.8/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

if you want totally grassfed lamb here is a link, not cheap https://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/meat-store/products

Sam's club has decent prices on lamb I forget if it is from new Zealand. they get fresh deliveries

Slanker meat link, I have histamine issues so I like the way these folks process their meat. they immediately freeze it after they cut it.

I can't afford grassfed for my diet, but I wanted to incorporate as much as I could afford. I definitely wanted my liver and organ meats grassfed as well as my bones. The fat is too strong tasting for me, but on the meats it is great.

I get their primal blend of hamburger and tolerate it well. I get it in the buffalo blend for variety.

Last edited by baskington : Fri, Nov-16-18 at 04:42.
  #246   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 09:06

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Bawdy,

Have you looked at diet composition from the "grams" perspective? I don't find % that useful for my purposes. Hopefully this link will work for you.

OKL Chart

https://www.google.com/search?q=okl...P8lTo5Y5jG9M :

By holding the Ctrl key down and moving your mouse wheel you can make the page bigger or smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
THIS is where I get confused. Some people say you need to be up around 70 - 80% fat for it to work, and others say if the fat is too high your body will burn the fat you eat rather than the fat stored on your body.

I've tried this every which way, and there don't seem to be any patterns. I know from the Dr-ordered elimination diet (based on IgG testing) that I'm sensitive to dairy, eggs, lettuce, tomato, and few other odd things. I'm only moderately sensitive; no foods registered highly inflammatory for me. When I did the elimination diet, I ate roasted white or sweet potatoes usually twice a day, and had 1 or 2 bananas twice a day. I lost 15 pounds in 3 months without really trying.

I think I'll take my experiments back to my journal so as not to interrupt the discussion here.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and support!

Last edited by wyatt : Fri, Nov-16-18 at 09:27.
  #247   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 15:13

BF:

Wyatt, yes I look at things from the gram perspective, too. Right now I'm shooting for around 1470 calories with 90 grams of fat, 20 grams of carbs, and 145 grams of protein (trying the higher protein for a while). That fits right into the ranges they suggest for my height (5'6") on the chart you linked to. Interesting chart. Thanks for sharing!
  #248   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-18, 07:28

BF:

Awesome BW!

Quote:
Wyatt, yes I look at things from the gram perspective, too. Right now I'm shooting for around 1470 calories with 90 grams of fat, 20 grams of carbs, and 145 grams of protein (trying the higher protein for a while). That fits right into the ranges they suggest for my height (5'6") on the chart you linked to. Interesting chart. Thanks for sharing!
  #249   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-18, 09:06

BF:

Yesterday was my second day of much higher protein. (Thursday was 103 and Friday was 138. That's up from an average of round 60. This morning I stepped on the scale and was down 2 pounds!!! After a month and losing and gaining the same 2 pounds, I'm now 2 pounds lower that the lowest before. Woo-hoo!!!

Breakfast is a double protein shake (beef protein powder) with a touch of heavy cream and some frozen strawberries. That's a good 48 grams of protein to start the day. I try for 50 grams of protein per meal. Haven't gotten to 150 grams of protein yet (shooting for a total of 140), but I'm getting closer.

I might just be one of those people who needs more protein.
  #250   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 01:47

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow! Thanks Jey100 for letting me know about this thread!

I decided to try ZC to resolve glossitis which has been annoying me greatly for four years or more. I had already quit drinking wine to see if that made any difference. It did, but not much.

I have been ZC almost five months.

I am now limiting my food to grass fed beef and water, one decaf coffee and 1-2 black teas per day.

I have noticed reactions are stronger on ZC. For instance on keto I could have one cup of coffee with cream. On ZC I feel like the top of my head is going to blow off if I have coffee, so I gave it up.

The glossitis is improving, but still only 3/4 of the way there.

I love steak, and have not tired of the eating.

I do miss my regular 💩s. I used to go every day, with beautifully formed light brown creations with perfect consistency.

Now, I go every 3-4 days and they are dark brown “Dairy Queen” creations.

I do suffer from sensitive colon, and have done since surgery two years ago to remove my lady parts. I was dx’d with Stage IIb Ovarian Cancer post surgery. Oh! I just remembered to post my stool samples today. ( I just raced to the post box now. All this talk about 💩.

I am feeling stronger, have gained some weight since I returned from walking the Camino earlier this year and am training for a 5 km run using the NHS Ciuch to 5k podcast.

I enjoy reading about ZC, have learned to make pemmican and continue to see improvements. My hair is thick and healthy. My arms are more firm. My legs are firming up. My skin looks reasonable for an old fart. I am almost never hungry but I was in the first few weeks of ZC.

What else? I look better than most 30 yo women. 🙄

I am vain. My waist is now 26-1/2” and I have gained an inch on my hips.

I only drink twice - three times a year, and my joints and feet feel great. Joint pain has disappeared. Knuckle pain gone.

I hope ZC will clear up my glossitis and my bowel sensitivity.

I intend to stay ZC until year end, then reassess.

I miss macadamia nuts and dark chocolate.
  #251   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 09:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I find eating more ketogenically increases my sensitivity to caffeine during the switch. A day of fasting with just coffee does the same, sometimes I'll have to drink less to keep from getting jittery or turning into Woody Woodpecker. I drink more like seven or eight cups a day, I could see how if somebody already drank lowish coffee the increased sensitivity could knock them right off the stuff.
  #252   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 00:33

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I find eating more ketogenically increases my sensitivity to caffeine during the switch. A day of fasting with just coffee does the same, sometimes I'll have to drink less to keep from getting jittery or turning into Woody Woodpecker. I drink more like seven or eight cups a day, I could see how if somebody already drank lowish coffee the increased sensitivity could knock them right off the stuff.

Yes, it is incredible. And I love coffee but on ZC I just can’t handle the huge impact of one cup of barista style (strong) coffee.

I remain on decaf.

I intend to stick with ZC until year end, then perhaps go back to Keto or add a few foods in to see how I go. It really depends on whether my glossitis clears up. If I am still feeling the benefits of ZC, I will remain.

I am going to a wholistic dentist to see whether she can shed light on my tongue issue.
  #253   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 21:35

BF:

Quote:
Yesterday was my second day of much higher protein. (Thursday was 103 and Friday was 138. That's up from an average of round 60. This morning I stepped on the scale and was down 2 pounds!!! After a month and losing and gaining the same 2 pounds, I'm now 2 pounds lower that the lowest before. Woo-hoo!!!

Breakfast is a double protein shake (beef protein powder) with a touch of heavy cream and some frozen strawberries. That's a good 48 grams of protein to start the day. I try for 50 grams of protein per meal. Haven't gotten to 150 grams of protein yet (shooting for a total of 140), but I'm getting closer.

Nice work BW!

Hate to generalize but a good percentage of people need more protein considering the CHO ridden diets I see around me.

Good to inch the protein up and don't be afraid to have steak and eggs for breakfast if the budget allows.
  #254   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-18, 18:48

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:

I'm right there with you, BW. I increased protein consumption a several months ago, and I'm seeing only positive results. It has not "kicked me out" of ketosis, and I am able to ramp up my fitness routines easily while maintaining muscle mass. All good!
  #255   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-18, 11:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Scrolling through my library's ordered list...Shawn Baker will publish The Carnivore Diet. Reminds of Dr Fung saying how can you write a whole book about not eating? So assume this book will be short on Recipes.

https://www.amazon.com/Carnivore-Di...r/dp/162860350X

End February, of course I put it on hold
Closed Thread