Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-21, 08:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Vegetables and fruit and stress relief? Really?

A new study from Australia is popping up in my news feed. On its face, it seems to make sense.

Quote:
Eating a diet rich in fruit and vegetables is associated with less stress, according to new research. The findings revealed people who ate at least 470 grams of fruit and vegetables daily had 10 per cent lower stress levels than those who consumed less than 230 grams.

Eating more fruit and vegetables linked to less stress, study finds

It might even be true. But it certainly isn't true for me, and I wonder just how much that's true for other people: especially those, like me, who are dealing with autoimmune issues.

I wonder if this study got the cart before the horse.

Quote:
The findings revealed people who ate at least 470 grams of fruit and vegetables daily had 10 per cent lower stress levels than those who consumed less than 230 grams. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends eating at least 400 grams of fruit and vegetables per day.

Lead researcher, PhD candidate Simone Radavelli-Bagatini from ECU's Institute for Nutrition Research, said the study strengthens the link between diets rich in fruit and vegetables and mental wellbeing.

"We found that people who have higher fruit and veggie intakes are less stressed than those with lower intakes, which suggests diet plays a key role in mental wellbeing," said Ms Radavelli-Bagatini.

What if people "who have higher fruit and veggie intakes" are less stressed to begin with? Isn't this one of those healthy mindset fallacies?

Even if we gift them some kind of reliance on data that isn't the notoriously unreliable food diaries. Health-conscience people eat more fruit and vegetables. Because that's what they have been told.

But fruit has sugar and vegetables have lectins. And both of those are known inflammatory sources. I go by Dr. Teresa Wahls, who helped me put my autoimmune into remission. And here's what she has to say:

Quote:
by TL Wahls · 2019 · Cited by 16 — Wahls initially theorized that detailed guidance to increase intake of specific foodstuffs would facilitate increased intake of nutrients key to neuronal health (Wahls™ diet). Dr. Wahls further theorized restriction of lectins would reduce intestinal permeability and CNS inflammation (WahlsElim version).

Review of Two Popular Eating Plans within the Multiple Sclerosis Community: Low Saturated Fat and Modified Paleolithic

To be clear, I think leptin sensitivity can vary widely. But if someone is sensitive, all kinds of mayhem can ensue.

Dr. Georgia Ede put my mind at ease about avoiding vegetables and sticking to low sugar fruits like zucchini, tomato (no skins or seeds) and berries. Because just because vitamins and anti-oxidants show up in the lab doesn't mean it winds up in our body.

Now, I eat in a way where I lower my oxidation stress at the source.

Also, people under stress aren't hitting the salad bar...
Sponsored Links