Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 13:55

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

darcijj:

I am hypothyroid ...have been for over 16 years. I've had varying dosages of Levothyroxine during this time. Weightloss has been a nightmare for me until I was introduced to DRNDR this past fall.

About 3 years ago I read an older book found in our local library (written during mid 1970's) put out by a dietician (can't remember her name) who was successful in helping those with metabolism problems to loose weight. Thinking back, it was likely a moderate LC way of eating. I didn't work for me. When someone told me about a high protein / low carb diet, I told them I tried one but it doesn't work for me. She explained that there are many low carb plans out in the market and that I need to find the one that is best for my particular metabolism needs. So I read DANDR as well as Protein Power. Protein Power reminded me of that previous diet put out by the dietician. Since Atkins' diet talked of even lower carbs, I tried that out & it has been working for me (amazing!). You can see by my profile how well I've done on it. During a 3 month stall, I twigged on to cheese & nuts as stalling agents for me. At the moment, I'm taking in maybe 30ish carbs / day ( I don't know how many calories I get ...I haven't taken the time or interest to calculate that) and maybe loose about 1 pound per week. I try to take a 1 hour walk 2 - 3 times a week.

All I can encourage you to do is possibly consider experimenting with different LC approaches. With unique health challenges, one LC program may work better than others. Different LC programs is compared through this LC website if you want to look things up. If you have a 'Curves' fitness centre in your area, you can get lots of info & support through them. It sounds like you have great perseverance ...be willing to adjust & readjust where necessary in order to attain your goal.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/141/145 Female 66 "
BF:
Progress: 110%

thanks Swarz for your encouragment.. I think I decided today to give Atkins another try... last year when I tried it I was not on thyroid meds and too tired to deal with anything... but the main problem I had was not knowing what to eat ... hard boiled eggs for breakfast everyday can get tiresome.. I think I need menu suggestions to get me started again.... and I should eat more smaller meals a day.. but I just don't know what to eat in between breakfast, lunch and dinner.... I am so used to hearing people tell me to eat less and you will lose weight... I wish it were that easy...

well the only carbs substantial carbs I had today was at lunch... and this week I am going shopping this week and will have to make a list of items I can have...

Thanks again!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:59
Registered Member

Stats: 55.1/48.3/25
BF:
Progress: 23%

Why not check out some of the journals for menu suggestions? You should start one of your own as well if you have not done so. That way you can look back and see what worked for you and what didn't. Also check out the recipe section of this forum for terrific ideas so you don't feel stuck with the same old thing every day. Eatting to lose weight is a hard concept to deal with after all the crap we have been taught about being fat because we eat too much. Rest assured that Atkins does work. Remember that there is more to the Atkins WOE than induction. Too many people get caught up in the induction phase and feel overly restricted.
You can do it!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 06:00
Registered Member

Plan: protein power - modified by self
Stats: 218.5/218.5/137.5 Female 66 inches
BF:41.1
Progress: 0%
Default me too, me too!!!!

HI!
I just found out less than a month ago that I am hypo also. TSH is around 7.2. Doc put me on 50mcg of Synthroid, but to be honest, I'm still waiting to feel better. Sometimes I wonder If I am doing too much at once to my body...i.e, Synthroid, my LC WOE, etc....I worry that it will get confused even more so than it already obviously is! My first week of LC I lost 13lbs. I know that most of that was water. Then my next week I lost 2lbs. Now...I have gained 5lbs. Talk about depressed....LOL! It was here that I learned that I was not eating enough calories or fat. Iwas averaging 850 cals / day...my poor body thought it was starving. hence, the gain....it was putting away for a rainy day!!! hah!

Well, the monsoon is here! I've upped my calories and fat intake....I've resigned myself to stay off my scale for 1-2 wks at a time. (my scale hates me....) and I am really hoping that all of this starts to come together. I have to talk to my doc in a week or so, and I am hoping to go to 75mcg on my meds, because i just dont feel any better on this dose. But, I know it can take a while, and don't know how long I'm supposed to wait for results.

The GOOD thing is that while i havent lost a ton of weight, I HAVE lost some inches...I can feel it....i dont feel 'as' bloated as I did a few weeks ago. Which is good, because that starting weight you see is an all time high for me. I thought i was going to just keep going until I exploded!! Good luck to all, I'll check back to see how we are all doin!!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 10:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi nill4me,

50mcg of synthroid T4 hormone is a very low dose .. your doctor will be increasing it gradually till you reach the maximal dose for YOU, which will bring your TSH down (preferably below 2). You should be having your TSH checked regularly, every 10 to 12 weeks, and based on the level, your dosage of hormone will be increased in small increments until the adequate dosage is reached. It's important to increase in gradual steps, rather than blast in the full dose at once. Thyroid hormone can cause the heart to race, blood pressure to go up, insomnia and other symptoms .. this is why it's added gradually.

You might be interested to check out this list of foods and drugs which can interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone. Check out the rest of the About.come Thyroid site while you're there; lots of good information.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Doreen
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 167/154/140
BF:
Progress: 48%

Does anyone konw where to find the evidence to prove that we are meant to have a low (under 2) TSH level? Everyone keeps saying it's so, but I've not been able to find any papers proving it. My Doctor doesn't believe this to be true, so unless I can show him some research, he is quite happy to keep me at 6 or just under!

Thanks.

Shaz
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 17:54

Stats: 185/141/145 Female 66 "
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default to Nill4me

I know how you feel.. when I first started on armour it seemed to take a while to get my energy back.. i was up to 60 mg a day and still had trouble getting out of bed.. Then my doc suggested adrenal gland supplements.. that my adrenal glands may have been exhausted and that helped contribute to my low thyroid.. I now take 2 tablets of Ardrenogen.. one in the morning and one in the afternoon.... if I miss doses I can tell .. I get that tired feeling again.. so If your doses go up but you still do not feel back to your old self .. ask your doc about adrenal glad exhaustion... afterall both the thyroid gland and the adrenal gland work together to regulate the body...

I also take several vitamins a day.. a multi vitamin... chromium.. selenium, vitamin C and licorice...

hope you feel better soon...
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 05:46
Registered Member

Plan: protein power - modified by self
Stats: 218.5/218.5/137.5 Female 66 inches
BF:41.1
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks doreen & darcjj!

thanks for the good words folks...I am hoping that over the course of the next year that I will be able to get my thyroid level down & regulated properly, and that in combination with my new woe, wol, will help the other things fall into place...I'm still having issues with the calorie thing also, but i'm working on that. does anyone know, can I throw some whey protein into a smoothie or something like that? I know i can add calories with fat, i already use full fat dressings, and olive oils. I'm wondering though if some kind of smoothie in the morning, or evening...or even those protein bars. I've found one that I actually like, called myoplex, by EAS. I know that there are hidden carbs in it, but my carb count really is usually 20 or less, so i can spare few here and there. They are 240 calories per bar, and I think that would help. I could eat those at work during the day. Thoughts??

I happened along about.com/thyroid very shortly after I was diagnosed, and read it regularly...it is a truly excellent site for anyone with hypothyroidism....lets you know that no....you ARENT crazy!!! you really DO feel badly!

hugs.
Jenn
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 23:56

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/155/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Unhappy yep I've got it!!

I've got hypothyroidism . I've been doing the diet for 5 months and lost around 20 lbs. Slow... but I am losing . Something I was unable to do before . What kind of meds are you taking? I've found that the natural thyroxin works better for me than the synthetic kind. I've on the meds for ten years now. How about you?
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:40

Plan: Somersize/Atkins
Stats: 176/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:

I've been on synthetic thyroid for about 6 years now. I can't find a doctor who will prescribe Armour. They all seem to be afraid. They say it is too hard to regulate. I added Cytomel about 9 months ago and finally bumped the synthroid up to .75 from .5. My skin is so much better and my mind seems to be clearer.

20 pounds! Fantastic! Keep up the good work!

I've been a poor Atkins/SS/whatever candidate, having fallen off the wagon repeatedly, but not regained any weight. I've lost a consistent 8 pounds since December. I'm trying to get into ketosis again and drop another few. At this rate...hmm....I could be thin in about 20 years...:-)
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:49

Stats: 254/194/180
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi

I'm on 90 mg Armour Thyroid for about three months. Also 15 mg of Remeron for depression and 80/12.5 Diovan HCT for hypertension. Just finished 6th week of Atkins induction. Feeling better, lost 22 pounds, 15 in the first two weeks. Now about 1-2 pounds per week. Still have 40 pounds to go. Planning to stay on induction for atleast another month then starting phase two.

Running has increased from <10 miles per week to over 20. Somedays I am very tired, like today. I find wieght loss is like running. It takes time. It took me 51 years to get to this point, a couple of months or years isn't so bad to get where I want to go.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:10

Plan: Somersize/Atkins
Stats: 176/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:

Way to go! Keep up the good work!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:24

BF:
Default Armour brand Thyroxin

Well....I did not know that Armour Thyroxin even existed until I moved to a different town, and decided to try out a Naturopath.... Now I have always been a little leery of those guys, so I'm not really sure why I did it....But I'm glad I did. She was the one to introduce me to natural Thyroxin. And she also raised my dosage. In her opinion the majority of hypothyriod patients in the U.S.A. are generally under medicated. Well, I accepted her idea up to a certain point. I decided to call up several pharmacies and question them on this new information...she was right. So, now I've been taking this new brand of meds and new dose for the last 3 months. I'm feeling better than I have in ten years!!! No bulging eyes, no hypractivity, no case of the grumpies, generally speaking no overdose symptoms. Also I started taking Conjugated Linoleic Acidor CLA . It also is a natural supplement
It actually decreases the fat cells ability to take in energy (calories), hence the consumed energy is rerouted to muscle tissue. I've had a significant decrease in cellulite and a big increase in muscle tone. With no real significant amount of exercise. I can only imagine what it will be like when I get motivated to exercise. Punch CLA into a search engine. You won't believe it. Bye
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 20:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/189/145
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default hypothyroidism

What a relief to find out that I'm not alone! Beside IGT and IR, I had a clean bill of health in Jan 2001 when I lost 23lbs Atkins in 3 months, hit a plateau, then in Nov 2001 regained 80% in 3 weeks. My doc tested & said hyopothyroidism, & prescribed thyroxine. I found this forum in a state of despair, because I was still doing Atkins, but without the same sucess as this time last year. I see now that I am lucky to have lost the 10lbs in the past 3 months. I have not regained my enery and enthusiasm that I lost at that time, in fact some days I feel so ill I only get out of bed long enough to go to gym, and then come back and sleep for the next 18 to 20 hours. At these times, I become so despondant that I feel like taking all the medication and turfing it out the window. I often wonder if it is not all the side effects of all these synthetic hormones and chemicals that are causing this lassitude and exhaustion. A friend and fellow Atkinser reminded me of the fat fast fat fast (pg 239 New Diet Revolution 1999) which I am trying, starting today. I'll post my progress on that one. Thanks for sharing everybody!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 22:24

BF:
Default What is DRNDR?

Darcij...What is DRNDR