Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 19:39

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Finally made it to the rheumatologist...

got diagnosed with fibro... and possible Sjorgren's syndrome. From what I have ready now, I definitely fit the Sjorgren's syndrome profile. She is also testing me for RA and lupus.

I went the allergist today. Very, very disappointing. I was so hoping for an allergy as opposed to an autoimmune disease.
He was so sure that I had some type of inhalant allergy, he didn't order the food tests. So, now I have to go back on Tuesday to get that done. The only thing I am severely allergic to is cockroaches! And I am mildly allergic to dust mites and cats. And that is it! No trees, grasses, pollens or molds. That's good...but bad.

Wednesday I go to the sleep doctor.

Have a real good feeling about the rheumy doctor. She was appalled that I had told three GPs about my choking and snoring at night and none of them had ordered a sleep study. And she was upset at the eye doctor as well. As she said "dry eyes may be a problem, but it doesn't cause swellling around your eyes so badly that they close up." She thinks the eye doctor should have suspected Sjorgren's. I don't know.

I am feeling pretty low right now. Can't take any meds until all this is done.

I guess I had just so hoped that the allergist would have a piece of the puzzle today. I dissapointed to the nth degree, and so angry at my body!

Anyway, just wanted to blow off steam. Thanks guys for being here!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Been There

Hi,
It was good to get a supportive doctor even though the news wasn't great. I know that with CFS, just finally getting a diagnosis is somewhat of a relief. It ends one stage and begins another. I have found that the grief process cannot be hurried. It seems to have a life of its own (in my case), and even though you may be cogniscent of a phase, it doesn't mean that the cognition will speed the passage. Perhaps it even hinders it? I guess a license to genuinely feel and give periods of abandonment to each phase is ultimately the best.

Vent away!!!

Colin
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 09:23

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Thanks, Colin...

You know, I get so, so angry with the doctors.

For two years I have been trying to get someone to figure out what is wrong with me. I have been told to use nasal spray, eat more fiber and exercise, and been put on 10 different anti-depressants. That's it.

I have had to do all the research and make appointments with the appropriate doctors! Another example is what happend on Friday with the allergist. Its outragious that you have to diagnose yourself, and then present it to the doctor!

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

I go back to the allergist tomorrow morning for the food allergy tests and then for my first visit to the sleep study doctor on Wednesday.

I am hopeful that by the end of the month, I should have a full, clear picture of what is going on.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:35

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Boy, I can relate to being angry with doctors. Before I finally got my food allergies diagnosed, my doctor insisted the horrific stomach pain I was having was due to acid reflux. She insisted I try Prevacid. I cried, and told her I tried it before, it makes me feel worse. She got very angry with me, and shoved a paper bag full of Prevacid samples in my hand, and told me "This is the only thing that will help you." She then pushed me out the door. I stood in the hallway, crying, feeling like I was crazy. I think I left the bag of samples on the floor when I left. I went to the library (before I had the internet) and read and read. I finally realized I had food allergies.

I went to a different doctor, and made up a story about thinking I was allergic to corn. I had no idea what or if I was allergic to. Anyway, I was sent to an allergist, got tested, had numerous airborne allergies, and TONS of food allergies. I was eating practically everything I was allergic to on a daily basis, no wonder my stomach felt like it was turning inside out!!

You definately have to take charge of your own health. Research is a great tool. You are right, it is outrageous that you have to diagnose yourself. But unfortunately, that is just the way it is.

I hope you start to feel better, soon! I understand, believe me, and my good thoughts are with you!!

Take care!

-Jess