Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 03:00

Plan: Atkins 14 day
Stats: 189/186/164 Female 5ft 11inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Question for Trainerdan :)

Hi Dan,

Firstly can I just say what a brilliant web site and you put so much into it -keep up the good work!

My problem is I am a newbie and am doing the diet to improve my running. I have an Interview where I need to do the shuttle run and this is my weakest area. I am an ex swimmer and now excel at rowing in particular, I also do weights regularly. Since starting the diet my performance rates have dropped and running is harder than ever.

I have however lost 12 Lbs in 14 days will increasing my carbs help and will I still lose weight if I do this. Has my performance dropped because I don't have the extra weight in rowing for example?

I really want to lose the weight but to carry on improving my running - I would be very grateful if you could advise.

Janice
England
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 11:07

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Talking thanks ...

Quote:
Firstly can I just say what a brilliant web site and you put so much into it -keep up the good work!

Thanks Jan ... but there is a team of us here that make it a great place to come for support and info, so I would be at fault at accepting all of the praise ... but keep it coming!!! LOL

To answer your question: On the CKD, weight will not increase. While you probably will see a "rebound" effect each week from Friday night (before carb-up) to Monday morning (after carb-up) of a few pounds, REMEMBER that it is in the form of glycogen storage and is fuel for your intense workouts.

You will come out ahead in the end by registering a 1 to 2 pound per week loss after all is said and done (assuming of course that you adhere to the CKD guidelines).

In the CKD 101 post, I recorded my weight loss through one of the early times I did a CKD ... and I doing the same for my current CKD cycle.

Feel free to ask any questions re: running, etc. in the exercise forum.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 13:08

BF:
Default Tips

Dan,

Thank you sooo very much for your prompt reply, was extremely informative as a newby I hadn't even got as far as digesting CKD info (no pun intended!!!) Had just panicked at drop in training levels

Sounds brilliant can't wait til Friday!! I can only get to the gym am though not twice on a mon will this hinder me??

If you can advise on how to train for a shuttle run and about rest & food intake just before the big day I would be a very happy bunny indeed

Janice
England
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 06:39

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default will do

Let me get my info together on that ... I did train an Air Force Academy cadet to pass his physical training tests so he could graduate, and shuttle run was one of the tests ...

just have to dig up that info ... I will post it here for you soonish.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 08:52

BF:
Default Brilliant!

Thanx need all the help I can get!!!

Janice