Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/132/125
BF:
Progress: 83%
Cool Must be a sign!

I've been trying to follow all the recent talk about BFL - as work permits, been pretty busy lately. I started thinking more and more about it and have tried reading through a few of the articles and sites Nat posted. I must say I am definitely intrigued. Intrigued enough to start some high intensity interval training on my treadmill instead of my usual hop on, warm up for 3 minutes, run for 25, and cool down. I must say, I have been a little tired this week but the workouts feel incredible. I didn't realize you could get so much more out of 30 minutes on the treadmill while even covering less distance. I know there is a lot more to BFL than that but it got me thinking. Then I saw all the transformation pictures on the Yahoo Club site. I was sold. Now I just have to wait for payday this Friday so I can make a few purchases, starting with the book, some weights, and a few supplements I haven't purchased in the past. I also plan on getting some calipers to measure my body fat and taking some pics (Yuck).

My questions are - is this enough to get me started (with the treadmill I already have)? Back before I pumped out three kids in four years I ran an occasional traithlon and use to cross train quite a bit. I know I do not have that amount of free time to get me to a pool or even on a bike. When you say we need to change our workout every 4 weeks, can that be changed sufficiently by still using a treadmill and weights? Anything else I need to purchase or do beforehand ?

I think the biggest factor for me will be the 8 hours of sleep. I can't remember the last time I slept for 8 hours. Sounds kinda nice actually. I am already eating a few smaller meals throughout the day (although I am sure that will need adjusting) and, thanks to this site, am consuming more veggies, berries, and water.

ANyway, I am planning on giving this a go starting Saturday, yes, hopefully I'll be reading a lot on Friday. I think it must be a sign because that is exactly 12 weeks before my husband and I leave for our vacation in the keys. Look out bikini!

Thanks everyone, especially Nat for all the great guidance, information, and dedication.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 15:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Must be a sign!

Quote:
Originally posted by DeeSinn
My questions are - is this enough to get me started (with the treadmill I already have)? When you say we need to change our workout every 4 weeks, can that be changed sufficiently by still using a treadmill and weights? Anything else I need to purchase or do beforehand ?

Hi there Dee

Sounds like that's more than enough to get you started. The change every 4 weeks refers to the exercises you do with weights - you want to keep your muscles from getting used to working the same way. And lets face it, there are a lot more muscles to work than the ones targeted by the first sets of exercises described in the book. Just to give you an example, I did the workout as described in the book the first 4 weeks - for chest this meant regular chest presses and flys, in week 5 I changed to incline presses and flys, and just recently I changed to decline presses and incline flys - works the same area (chest) just targets different heads/areas of the muscles.

I use my nordictrack for all cardio and will continue to do so - it's not hard on my knees.

If you're picking up some free weights I suggest one of the adjustable sets - you'll probably outgrow regular dumbells pretty fast. Marlaine and Beth (Bsayne) got themselves some power blocks - that might be a good idea (I think Marlaine discussed them at great length in her Journal a few days ago).

I'd add a good pair of gloves to your list and call it complete.

Best of luck!
Nat