Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 18:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/163/150
BF:
Progress:
Default What Atkins Center had to say about BFL

OK, not specifically BFL but I asked them what they would recommend for those of us doing BFL. There answer was what I would expect coming out of a politician?s mouth but then I guess I really didn?t expect anything different. When I read it, I got that they don?t recommend increasing carbs above and beyond what you would normally do. Read for yourself. I cut and past directly from there e-mail to this post.

Dear James,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Atkins Approach has been shown to create more muscle mass and muscle definition than a low fat intake. By using fat stores on a controlled carb intake, you increase the percent of muscle mass thereby increasing muscle definition. Also, by using fat stores and not depleting lean body mass, you are increasing muscle mass. You might need to go lower on your carb level to achieve fat-burning and stabilize blood sugar levels. Lean gain will occur with resistance training along with a controlled carb intake. If you are at your maintenance weight, you should follow the maintenance regimen while training and the muscle mass should increase.

The Surgeon General's 1996 report on physical activity and health states: "Physical activity need not be strenuous to achieve health benefits."(1) The report recommends that people of all ages get a minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity of moderate intensity (such as brisk walking) on most, if not all, days of the week. The report also says that, for most people, it's even better to exercise harder and longer.
Ideally, you should engage in your daily minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity all at once because it will get your fat-burning engine into a sustained mode. However, if you absolutely cannot or will not do it all at once, the following provides some benefits, although results will take longer to achieve: Try three 10-minute sessions (or two 15-minute sessions) of moderately intense activity. For example, do 10 minutes of sit-ups, leg lifts, stretching and arm exercises in the morning; take a brisk 10-minute walk at lunchtime; rake some leaves and do a bit of vigorous house or yard work for 10 minutes before dinner and . . . you've done it! (See also "Transforming Your Inner Couch Potato" below).

Another way to organize your exercise regimen is to count the calories you burn (you know that when doing Atkins you won't be asked to count the calories you consume!) According to renowned researcher and founder of the College Alumni Health Study Ralph Paffenbarger in his book LifeFit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life, you should expend 1,500 to 2,000 calories per week for the greatest health benefit.(2)

An important note: The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that you include weight-bearing exercise in your workouts two to three (non-consecutive) days a week. It's recommended that you do one set each of eight to 12 exercises that address most of the major muscles in the body. The correct amount of resistance for you is that which will cause fatigue at eight to 12 repetitions. Once you can do a dozen reps, step up the amount of resistance. If you don't have access to a gym, you can use inexpensive, lightweight dumbbells or resistance bands. If you go this route, get yourself a book or video that shows proper form for exercising with free weights (or bands), so you don't injure yourself and get the most out of your workout.

Transforming Your Inner Couch Potato
Here are 10 great tips to make being active an ever-present part of your life:

Park far from the entrance to the mall, grocery store, your office or other destination.
Don't leave your shopping cart in the parking lot; return it to the store.
Contract and relax all your muscles when you sit down.
Play peppy music while you're exercising and doing household chores so you'll pick up the pace and get your blood pumping.
Lay out your workout clothes every night before going to bed.
Keep a log of all your activityâ??including household chores and walking.
Have an exercise plan for rainy days and when traveling.
For the first few months, do less than you think you can. It will keep you coming back for more while also helping you avoid injury.
Get in the habit of taking the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
Dance with your spouse, with your kids, with a friendâ??or even by yourself when you're alone in the house!

Physical Activity and Health: A Report of The Surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; "Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion," July 1996.
Paffenbarger, R., "LifeFit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life," Human Kinetics, Champaign, Illinois, 1996.
Coming January 25th!

Please be sure to visit our new and improved Web site. The Atkins <www.atkinscenter.com> Web site <www.atkinscenter.com>will have many new features, including an online Carb Counter, Menus, Success stories, health information, recipes, My Atkins: Your Personal Assistant, and so much more!

We hope this information will be helpful to you. If you still need further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again, or contact our Customer Support Department by phone at 1-800-2-ATKINS, Monday - Thursday 8 am to 7pm EST and Friday 8am to 6 pm EST. If you are calling from outside the U.S. and Canada, please reach us at 631.738.7370

Sincerely,
Customer Support
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.
1-800-6-ATKINS

Visit Atkins Online to learn more about the Atkins Nutritional Approach, find delicious controlled carb recipes, participate in live chats, read testimonials about success with Atkins, and browse our Online Store!

That?s it.

James
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 20:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs down Blechh!

Hi James,

Well that was a formulaic response if I ever read one. I suppose one could do the OWL thing, add 5 carbs for a week, then do it again to find out how many carbs will stall weight loss, but they didn't address the intensity of BFL workouts & possible need for more carbs.

Dr A's team: thanks for nuttin'

You can find better advice on this board than you'll get from Dr A's organization!

Hope you're having a good day,