Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/216/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Angry stall from quitting smoking

OK, this may not relate at all, but just thought I would throw it out there. I quit smoking almost 2 weeks ago. I also went back on induction (after a 2 week vacation of being really bad) I lost the fist week, but have since totally stalled. Could quitting smoking cause a stall? I have heard of people gaining weight when they quit.

Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Steffie, congrats quitting smoking!! That's a tough one to do, I know.

You're right, often when people quit they gain weight. Sometimes it's due to nibbling, especially on the wrong things, and sometimes it's because smoking raises metabolism and quitting slows it slightly.

That being said, during the second week of Induction, after that big loss, it's also very common to see a slow down for a few weeks while LCing. Think of it as your body adjusting to it's new size.

If you want to raise your metabolism to give it an 'edge' there are a few things you can do:

1. eat more frequent, smaller meals. The very act of eating increases metabolism

2. stay well hydrated, water is your friend when burning fat.

3. exercise. Go for a walk, lift some weights - keep active!

4. drink some green tea. It's one of the safest most effective ways of boosting metabolism. Theres some good info on green tea in the nutrition / supplements forum if you're interested.

Again, WTG on quitting.
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:54

BF:

Thank you so much. I did start walking this week and I am going to continue to do it daily. I am going to try the green tea. I actually have some sitting here in my desk (it has been here for sometime)

I guess I am just going to have to be patient and let my body adjust.

I am starting to feel so much better since I quit. I just have to keep that in mind.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 13:18

Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%

Steffie,
I actually quit smoking about this time last year. But i did both.
I started Atkins and quit smoking at the same time and did not gain any weight. I found it was easier because i could not nibble on the junk. I really didnt think it was that hard.
Good luck!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:01

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default quitting smoking

Congratulations! Quitting smoking is the most important thing you will ever do for yourself and for the people who love and need you.
Pokey is lucky that she didn't find it very difficult. Most people find it to be the most difficult thing they ever try. But - when you beat it, the world is like a whole new place! You feel good and keep improving for years, you smell good, your breath is better, your clothes smell better, no more being a social pariah.
If your weight loss stalls - even if you gain a little - don't worry. One you adjust, you'll start losing again. Stopping smoking should be your priority now.
High fives and pats on the back!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default One more thing

One more good thing about quitting smoking - just think of the money you will save - and think of all the cute new outfits you can buy!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:18

BF:

Very true, and here where I live, we have some of the highest taxes on tobacco in the country. A pack costs over $5.00
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 20:44

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 223/192.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:getting better
Progress: 42%

I think its wonderful that you quit smoking!!! Its such a hard thing to do. I quit smoking myself about 3 and a half months ago, and I gained 15 pounds, which took me to 200lbs and a little beyond. I wasn't LCing then mind you. I tell ya though, I feel that quitting smoking, as hard as it was...it was still easier than losing weight ..for me.

Congratulations many times over....I'm very proud of you
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:34

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

Congratualations on quitting smoking! As you can see it is one of my goals. I am so proud of you that you can do both at the same time. You should take some satisfaction in that!

One thing I have noticed, since I have been Low carbing, I smoke a lot less! Could be a conection here!

Again, congratulations!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 12:19

Plan: WW Lowcarb style
Stats: 280/269.5/250 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Congrats!!

Congratulations!!! I know how hard it is to quit, I quit 2 years ago cold turkey
I did gain a lot of weight when I quit but it was mostly because I started to snack all day. I think that if you stick to the low carb you'll be fine