Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/149/130
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi everyone...

yes, Isa, I've been adding up my salad carbs daily (on that fitday thing-I'm still getting used to it) and also my other vegetables.

I am still on Induction, and pretty much staying under, but yeah, I guess I should skip the vodka, not a bad idea.

As for the cheese...when I put the cheese on my meat, it's grated, and about an ounce and a half (I think I have that figured out correctly) and the reason I'm cooking the meat in the butter or garlic butter is because I had gotten alot of advice at the beginning about not eating enough 'fat', so I added the butter. And then I do eat more cheese as a snack, but don't go over the 4oz amount. Maybe it's still too much?

I'm sticking to 20g a day, and not losing weight. I lost 2" off my chest in the beginning...and no more inches since. I'm not trying to complain here, I'm just being completely honest with my situation.

I am getting so much advice from so many, and it's all appreciated very much! It does get confusing though. I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Yes, I'm sleeping better, and feeling better. Do I look better? nah, not really...I can't see any change. I'll keep trying.

Thanks!
O
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

ouch,

How many calories are you eating? It is hard to believe but it seems I lose my weight faster when I eat 2000-2200 calories a day than when I eat 1700-1800 calories. The days when I eat SF Jello with a bunch of whipped cream on top or on days when I eat more almonds or peanuts than usual are the days I lose the most. This is even if my carb count rises above 20, or even 30.

If you are following atkins induction to the tee and it is not working, try changing things up a bit. Add some almonds to your diet. I usually eat around 20 almonds per day (2 snacks of 10) and always have. Even during induction and I had no problem losing. I also often eat peanuts (unsalted dry roasted) which really helps me up my caloric intake as there are 220 calories (73% from fat) in a 1/4 cup of peanuts.

Look at this as an experiment where the goal is to find what works for you. If what you are doing now isn't working, modify what you are doing. As long as you stay away from sugar and flower and stick to natural carbs in veggies and nuts I personally think you will be fine. Just stay positive and motivated and I am sure you will find something that will work for you.

Best of luck,

David
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 09:48
Registered Member

BF:

David, what a very nice post! Thank you for being so friendly

I don't have any idea how many calories I'm consuming! I don't count them...you think maybe I should?

as for the nuts, I was kind of waiting and hoping to get out of induction before permitting myself some of those things. I'd love to have some, that would be great! Maybe I'll give that a try.

God knows I sure would love to have some peanut butter too...but I better wait a bit on that one!

Thanks again!

O
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 15:54

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Gosh, ouch, it's so obvious you're trying - wish I could just send some mental vibes your way to help you along!

I think David had some good advice about experimenting - and I understand you not wanting to break the rules of induction. Is there anything you can change around while you're on induction? Eat something different that you're not eating now? Maybe play with your ratios of fat/protein? Maybe eat 4 or 5 smaller meals instead of 3 larger ones? Maybe just for a couple days give up the cheese and eat something else that is allowed on induction? Is it possible you have an allergy to milk products that is causing you to not lose? Maybe for just one day eat low carb nuts (macadamia, almonds) as a snack in limited quantity? Or instead of nuts, have a small amount of peanut butter for a one day/one time thing? Are you sure you're not gaining muscle from exercise?

Once you get more familiar with FitDay, you'll be able to tell what your calorie intake is and that might help. I certainly wish I had some definite answer. I will say, I admire your tenacity - I don't know if I could do it in your shoes .
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 19:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hang in there ouch. It certainly sounds like you are following the Induction plan (yep, ditch the vodka). Since we are all different, we do have to tailor the plan to suit our individual needs. For example, I can't eat three or four ounces of cheese and others can. I can't eat Atkins bars and others can. I can't eat nuts, and others can. So you'll have to experiment a bit and find out what works for you.

You're exercising and drinking water, and you're off refined sugar and wheat. You're doing great!

Stick with it, and I'm sure you'll be telling us about a breakthrough any day now.

We're rooting for you!!

Isa
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:09
Registered Member

BF:

Isa...my own little cheerleader! thanks so much!

yesterday I had two eggs, 2 celery stalks, my usual salad (which is 5g), 1 tbsp dressing, 1/2 cup chicken salad, 1 pork chop, 6 mushrooms, and a piece of ham with cream cheese on it for a snack last night. and at least 12 glasses of water.

that's the norm.

I want to keep at this, because I really don't mind the way of eating. I just get really sad when I look at myself in the mirrow though, because I see no difference.

I know that my arms are getting a little more toned, and I'm losing my...er...um...chest. But none of my other measurements have changed.

I need some encouragement, and since I'm not getting it from the scale or the tape measure, I'm awfully glad I'm getting it from you guys!!

Thanks!

O
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:15
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by ouch

I know that my arms are getting a little more toned, and I'm losing my...er...um...chest. But none of my other measurements have changed.

I need some encouragement, and since I'm not getting it from the scale or the tape measure, I'm awfully glad I'm getting it from you guys!!

Thanks!

O

You lose from the top down, I believe. So, this is right on track! I noticed that my shoulders no longer looked quite so "football player" like first-and then it moved down.

You are doing well! Did you ditch the vodka?
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 10:05
Registered Member

BF:

yeah, for now I did. I've always been one of those beer-drinking chicks...and since I started this I cut out the beer, and switched to vodka, but it's been two weeks now since I've had any alcohol at all, so maybe that'll help.

I think I'll be in trouble tomorrow though. It's a birthday party thing all day and evening at a tavern. Should be fun *groan*

O
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 12:46

BF:

ouch,

I know how hard it can be to have your friends around you eating and drinking and having a good time, while you're drinking club soda and nibbling on cheese. It's easy to give in to the circumstances and 'give yourself the night off' from your eating plan. That said, I gave my husband a big birthday party last Saturday. Lots of martinis, wine, really good food, cake, etc. I told myself I could have the night off. But I also told myself that I could drink lots of water and hold myself to one martini and one glass of wine, and restrict my eating to only those things that were allowed...and that I would never regret my choices the next day. So that's what I did. And I didn't regret it. I had a great time, and I didn't eat any of the high carb stuff I put out at the party. Everyone else had polenta with their Italian potroast, I had salad and potroast. Everyone else had baked brie, bruschetta, crackers, etc. I got to have the cold shrimp and the smoked salmon cream cheese with celery instead of bread. I did have a small piece of the birthday cake. One. Small.

If I had allowed myself a big carbo blowout I'm sure I'd be kicking myself for weeks thereafter.

This kind of self-control is all new to me. I'm just working at it one situation at a time. But knowing that I can walk away from homemade chocolate cake with the reward of feeling GOOD about that choice the next morning is really becoming a source of strength for me.

My little boy's birthday is this week. Another homemade cake, another celebration. I had one small piece of cake on Wednesday, and no other carb treats. Thank goodness he asked for salmon for dinner. Now I have cake in the fridge...but I fight the urge to nibble at it by telling myself how GOOD it feels when I get through the day without messing up my carbs.

Now if only my husband and son would eat that cake faster!!!

I don't mean to sound like I'm some perfectly successful 'dieter.' Like I said, I'm just dealing with one temptation at a time. But I hope the truth of my feeling of REWARD FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR might help you make healthy choices when you're at your parties this weekend. Why choose a carbo orgy when you can choose a little bit of something for 'celebration's sake' and stick to the allowed things for the rest of the night? Give it a try. You'll have nothing to regret.

You can do it!

Isa

Last edited by Isa : Fri, Mar-14-03 at 12:51.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 146/133/125
BF:
Progress: 62%

I hate to just jump into your conversation, but I was so happy to see posts from people who seem to be going through such a similar experience to mine (i.e. only 15-20 pounds to lose and going REALLY slowly). I think it really does drag on slowly for the 130/140/150 pounders... (have you guys heard from anyone in that range that made it to goal quickly??)

Regarding Ouch's stall... I can put in my two cents, which is to check out your calorie intake. My own experience was that I lost 7 pounds during induction, and then GAINED 3-4 during the next month (but still a net loss, so I was OK with it, albeit frustrated).
I was probably getting 1600-1800 cals a day, 20-30 carbs (from Fitday)

Then I had the miracle stall-buster sinus infection- I was taking Sudafed (basically a stimulant) for my sinus pressure for two weeks. This caused a glorious decrease in appetite- my calories went down to 1100-1400 a day (same proprotion carb/prot/fat as before). Over those two weeks I lost 5 pounds, putting me at my lowest yet.

So for me the cut calories approach really worked (although now that I'm not taking the sudafed anymore it is a bit harder to pull off )

I think it is really important to log what your eating somehow ( ala fitday) - I probably was eating a lot more than the pre-whoosh 1600-1800, 20-30 carbs before I started keeping track. It is amazing how knowing that you will have to write it down can really keep the mindless snacking to a minimum (no more grabbing a handful of nuts on my way through the kitchen, no more having "just one more" little slice of cheese for the 10th time)

On the other hand, judging from what I see on this forum a lot of people find they have to increase their intake to lose. Who knows...

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that I spent a solid month after induction doing nothing but gaining, but it still turned around. Eventually stalls end... sorry for butting in, but I couldn't resist since your experiences have been so similar to mine.

Jess
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 14:21
Registered Member

BF:

holey moley! there's no way at all that you're intruding!! I want/need all the input I can get!

Isa, way to go with the temptation! I'm impressed, that's fantastic!

I think that if this WOE were making a change in my, physically, I'd find it easier to not be tempted...but I am so close to wanting to quit that I am just ready to give it up. I will keep at it, because it's easy, but it just ain't working!

I think Monday I'll start doing fitday everyday. See how that goes.

O
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 17:18
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Jessica-

Welcome to the party!

Ouch-

I just had a couple of thoughts. One-do you measure? I went through the thread and you said you use how your clothes fit as a meter (which is a good idea)-but I was wondering if you take actual measurements. Honest to goodness-I haven't lost anything in my waist in like three or four weeks-but my stupid wrist has gotten smaller. It is now five inches around. It was 5 1/2 two weeks ago. I DON'T need a smaller wrist! I need a smaller belly! I wonder if you lose inches in different place at different times. You might want to check on that.

Second, I know I mentioned this before-but i am going to repeat myself. I swear that we have "set points" weights that we have been at for a long time before and that our bodies find comfortable. I stayed at 140 FOREVER before I finally got below that. The last time I weighed 140-I was at that weight for 2 years or more. Is where you are at weight wise a weight you had been at for a long time at one point?
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 08:35
Registered Member

BF:

how are you all? I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Paleoanth...

I do measure, but I measure only like 3 or 4 things...butt, tummy, chest, that sort of thing. I should have been more detailed about it from the beginning.

As for the weight...I was between 160-170 for the last 4 years of so. The last year I got down to 156 ( by just cutting out junk food) and then I started this in January at 156-got down to 149...where I've remained for the last two months.

that's the breakdown!

I did ok on the weekend, no cheating...I'm still with it, and still just barely holding on to my semi-positive attitude!
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 13:41
Registered Member

Stats: 146/133/125
BF:
Progress: 62%

I definitely recommend measuring as many places as possible/practical- some spots can be staying the same while others show a dramatic change. This has been frustrating for me- even my measurements can seem stalled, but I'll definitely still look thinner. I've even gone down a pants size while having my weight, waist, hip and thigh measurements stay pretty much the same. I guess I just haven't measured the right spots or I am really incompetent with the measuring tape- there can be a lot of variability- sometimes I'll measure my waist three times in a row and get three different answers (as much as an inch apart!).
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 13:54

BF:
Thumbs up Way to go Ouch!

Congratulations on getting through a tough weekend without any cheating!!! Fantastic!!! And you're sticking with the program even through this frustrating stall. See how strong you are?

With regards to weights and measures, I went through a weight stall but my measurements went down. Now I'm losing weight but my measurements are stalled. Something's nutty, and I'm sure I'm inept at measuring myself. I mean, how can you be sure you hit the same place on your calf or thigh or upper arm? Should I draw on myself with a Sharpie or something? hehehee

Didn't do my wrist, but my watch is sliding all over the place these days.

Yet NO ONE except my husband has mentioned my weight loss. Ah well. Maybe when I get closer to goal. I hate to admit it, but it sure would feel satisfying to get an affirmation from a friend. I won't let it get me down.

Keep up the great work, ouch. I'll keep checking in with you.

Isa