Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 10:49
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Sure, be happy to. But why don't you go back and read post #1 in this thread and then come back here and ask any questions? That would be easier than me retyping everything.

Anita
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 10:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/244/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ok, so on carb up eat more carbs in the form of veggies and such. Once I get to about a 2lb gain go back down. Then eat about 10-15 carbs and when I hit a weight for the same three days carb back up. Am I right?
  #123   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 11:08
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Yes, except, increase both calories AND carbs on carb up. Also - you do not HAVE to gain weight on carb up. In fact, I think it's better if you don't. But, do stop carb up immediately if you gain more than 2 pounds. Stay on carb up for 5-7 days, OR until you have gained more than 2 pounds.

I'm experimenting with shorter carb ups. I'm not sure yet if they work as well, but there's no real science to this. You can see in my signature line what I've been doing. I make the ups and down fit my schedule so that I'm up on vacations, dinners out, etc. and down when I'm at home, if at all possible.

I've been using 10-15 carbs/1200 cals for my carb down. As you probably read, nepeta is using a little higher carbs on her carb down and it's working, so this is going to vary from individual to individual. This has been working for me, so I hate to mess with it. It's possible that I COULD continue to lose well on 30-40 carbs/1200 cals. I just don't know for sure.

Warning: Be careful with carbup. Stick to more vegetables and limited fruits and nuts. This is not a carbfest!

Hope that helps. Anymore questions?

Good luck!!
  #124   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 11:11
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Also - twistermom - you're probably going to want to use calories of, say 1400-1500 for carb down and 1900-2000 for carb up. The carb values can stay the same.

By the way: I'm not sure if the carbs really need to go up and down. It could be that just by increasing calories, metabolism will be juiced. I just don't know. If we didn't increase the carbs, but just the calories, it would be easier to keep from gaining weight. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Anita
  #125   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 11:21

BF:

And as exercise....how much per week are you doing. Geez am I ever so lazy. I need to get my butt up in the AM and workout.

Also do you eat any frankenfoods? Like the ice cream or bars. Do you find the protein shakes to be helpful?
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 11:46
Thank You Dr. Atkins

I exercise at Curves faithfully 3x a week. That's all.

I eat absolutely NO frankenfoods on Carb Down. I may have an occasional treat on carb up.

I have a protein shake almost every day, up or down. Do they help? I don't know. But, they are very filling and low in calories. I had read that protein helps speed your metabolism, that's why I use them. I buy the low carb kind and mix with ice cubes/water/lite coconut milk on carb down, and mix with frozen fruit and water on carb up.

nepeta: You could answer these questions too, and anyone else who is doing this successfully.
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 11:55

BF:

Thanks for your help and I will keep you posted!
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 13:06

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 182/175/145 Female 5'3''
BF:40%
Progress: 19%

Lacanita,
I'm at the last week of induction on Atkins and i've been the same weight for 4days now. I'm due for my monlthy in 1wk or so...I'm considering trying the carb cycle.. is it to soon to say i'm stuck?? should i stick out..or just up it a day or 2.. I'm scared i'll have the carb cravings again.. On your up days do you crave more carbs???
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 13:17
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Bernadine:

Whoa Nellie, put those horses back in the corral! Let's not get excited yet!

It is WAY too early for you to begin playing with your plan. Seven pounds is a good weight loss on induction! You are not stalled!!

Stall - no weight loss OR inches lost for FOUR weeks (definition per Dr. Atkins).

Work the plan, finish your two weeks and then climb the carb ladder just like Dr. Atkins says. IF you stall after that, come talk to me, but don't be tweaking just yet!

And - Yes, I find that cravings are worse on carb up. In fact, they are nonexistent for me on carb down. I do get hungry sometimes, but I just want cheese or chicken or something...

#130   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 13:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, I've had stalls measured in terms of months... 4 days... that isn't a stall.
  #131   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 11:11

Hi,,,ahh i'm such a hyper girl.. I cant wait to be out of the 170's.
Stalls for months!! omg can't think about that... This is my 3rd week now and i'll just stick on induction.

thanks guys
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 11:14

Lacinta
I'll due induction for this week also I guess then see what that stupid scale that I hate says.... thanks
B
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 16:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Regarding those "stalls" of even months' duration . . .

When I originally did Atkins Induction, I lost a whopping 6 pounds in the first two weeks.

Then I didn't lose another pound . . . not one single solitary pound . . . for a good 3 months.

BUT, I lost inches.

When I started Induction, I had a pair of jeans that I couldn't even tug up over my hips, let alone zip (and let alone breath). By the end of those 3 months, they slid right up over my hips and I could even zip them with the tiniest bit of sucking in. They were a wee bit snug, but infinitely wearable!

So, don't let me hear any more about being "stalled" at a certain weight. Your body is changing. A post-Induction stall is so common as to be the rule rather than the exception.

And listen to Anita. This is WAY too early in the game to start tweaking the plan. Stick with Atkins. It's a good plan. After a year or so, THEN you can begin tweaking.
  #134   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 16:17
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Yeah Bernadine, I've been stalled 3 months without weight loss OR body comp changes. Yet, there are still people worse off than me. You're doing great!

Quote:
Whoa Nellie, put those horses back in the corral! Let's not get excited yet!

Wanda
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 17:14

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I wish this experiment had been there last year, when I was doing terrible and fell off the complete LC wagon.
I had been so discouraged that I could not see myself ever losing the weight.
You are giving me hope. I am just lining my little ducks in a row; I am getting my food ready.
I think that I will be starting induction next week, when my medication is finished.

Either way, I am reading the Diabetic book by Dr Atkins and there is a bunch of menus for 20 carbs, 40 carbs and 60 carbs.
Easy to work with, in the carb cycling.

I had to subscribe to this thread first.
Pene