Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: Semi-LC, Organic, Natural
Stats: 168/158/140 Female 67
BF:26%/26%/22%
Progress: 36%
Default Fibro & Apple Cider Vinegar ACV

I found out my Fibro going on two years ago but it has been a battle for several years now (and I'm just crossing my mid 20s). I really had a bad bout around my Dx and it literally made me scared to exercise. I really did not stay active for two years and managed to put on about 25lbs. Just recently here I have managed to add exercise back to my life keeping intervals at about 25 min or less up to 5x a week.

I was reading about ACV aiding weight loss and from there I read more about it helping other ailments such as Fibro. I tried a few searches and was curious to how many people tried to add ACV regularly to their diet and saw benefits in relation to their FIBRO.

The condition of my fibro has been better; I am plagued heavily with excessive tiredness and weak shoulder/back and restless legs.... I am going to begin the supplement starting this week drinking and taking the pill supplement. I hope to come back and share some success.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 08:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I used to take a supplement called fibro-min which contained malic acid and magnesium, along with some calcium and MSM (at least the powder form, they omitted the MSM in the capsules).

I got a lot of releif from that, but I stopped taking it when I had some trouble with the supplier, and I definitely felt worse when I wasn't able to take it. I tried to recreate it on my own, since I'd read that the combination of malic acid and magenesium was the "active ingredient" but I wasn't having too much sucess with magnesium malate.

Then I realized that malic acid is naturally present in apples. I figured that ACV might be a good source of malic acid, and that it might even work better since it's a natural whole food. Plus ACV has other health benefits- if it makes "minor" colds go away faster, that's less time dealing with FMS and a cold simultaneously!

I searched online but was never able to figure out just how much malic acid is present in ACV to calculate an equivilent dosage. But I did see the recomendations to use 2 tablespoons (1 fluid ounce) once or twice a day as a general tonic. I took that dose for a while but I often forgot to take it, plus I found that it sometimes hurt my stomach.

For the past several weeks, I've been consistently taking 1 tablespoon of ACV once a day, mixed with sodium ascorbate (actually Trader Joe's ascorbic acid powder plus an equal quantity of baking soda) and 500mg of calcium powder, and I take it with 400-600 mg of magnesium citrate and a B-complex pill. If I could find mag citrate in powder form I would mix that in rather than swallowing pills with it. The vitamin C helps me with seasonal allergies, and depending on my overall health at the time I take anywhere from 500-2000 mg in the drink.

I mix the powders together, add the ACV, let it bubble for a bit (the vitamin C bubbles when mixed with the baking soda, and I'd rather it bubble in the glass than in my stomach!) then fill up the cup with flavored seltzer and add a little liquid stevia to the cup, stir in the calcium powder and drink up.

I'm still tired, but I've overall had more energy in the past week or two. I've had some shoulder pain, but it was resolved by using topical pain cream. I also suspect that the pain might be directly related to having more energy- ie I may have overdone things a little because I was feeling better.

It's hard to say exactly what's making me feel better, as I've been on a gluten free diet, and I recently cut out all grains 6 days a week rather than having small amounts of rice or popcorn daily. I'm not giving up my gluten-free challah for Shabbos!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I bought some organic ACV a few months ago but it did burn my stomach so I haven't bothered since. I guess I should try again and maybe have it after a meal and in a lower dose to start. It is supposed to have amazing healing properties.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 06:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi24
I bought some organic ACV a few months ago but it did burn my stomach so I haven't bothered since. I guess I should try again and maybe have it after a meal and in a lower dose to start. It is supposed to have amazing healing properties.

Did you drink it straight, or diluted?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 06:43

Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Diluted in a glass of water.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:06

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I was told to drink pure grape juice for fibo.....I tried it for about two weeks but it did nothing but tear up m ystomach.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 02:46
Registered Member

Plan: Mine
Stats: 127/127/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I drink a couple of teaspoons of it mixed with water & Stevia to sweeten it. Yum. I haven't noticed it helping the Fibro, but it definitely helped my supposed acid reflux...(It's actually a base rather than an acid.) Oh! As for things to take for losing weight that are good for Fibro, you might want to Google Coconut Oil. And Safflower Oil. I believe they have the same thing to help your body burn fat, but the Coconut oil tastes way better
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-08, 09:33

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I just saw my doctor on Friday and he put me on the drug Lyrica.
I just started the medication so I am praying it will help me. I hurt so bad everyday that I can hardly move anymore.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 09:15

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
I just saw my doctor on Friday and he put me on the drug Lyrica.
I just started the medication so I am praying it will help me. I hurt so bad everyday that I can hardly move anymore.

Please ask him about Wobenzym. I shall find an article from a lady who used this to help with her fibromyalgia and post it. It won't have any side effects like all the drugs from the Big Pharma people cos it's just made of enzymes.

amanda