Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 11:04

Plan: meat 'n water
Stats: 221/181/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Ooops, obviously ADH D
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 01:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by poindexter
Hi,
My son has ADHA/Tourettes/Aspergers

One thing we found out when he was only diagnosed with the ADHA was that the feingold diet helped enormously.

Thefeingold diet removes, BHT/TBHQ/BHA--preservatives, as well as artif. food colors ad flavors, and certain fruits and veg that are high in salicilates : apples, peppers, grapes, etc.
We even avoid fragrances, which is hard to do if you want to go to church, or almost anywhere b/c of perfume, airfreshners, candles, laundry detergent. Most these fragrances are petroleum based, which is something that affects him.

We did not limit gluten or wheat, just kind of went natural.

What we found after a week was the preschool teacher telling us that we now had a different child. And that if he had a purple charms lollipop he went loopy, including his tourettes tics increasing.

Then obviously, there is the whole gluten research for special diets for thoses on the autistic spectrum.

I just think that the more processed the food, and the less natural....it can affect your nervous system as much as your brain and your weight

Maggie

After about 6 years, or so, of marriage to my husband I put 2 and 2 together ( long story ) and began to suspect that he has Asperger's. But, he began low carbing, when I did and he doesn't seem to be as Aspie as he was in the past. I think that the melt-downs are still there but he is able to make adjustments and forgo those melt-downs. He does eat bread and he has some very bad stomach issues. I suspect these issues could be gluten related. I mentioned that to him but he cannot give up bread, completely. He can reduce his intake but I think that if there was a serious link that he would ignor it.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 13:15

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Did you know stubborness can be a sign of Aspergers? Oh, wait...that just means he is a male. Nevermind. (Hee hee hee)
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 14:17

Plan: meat 'n water
Stats: 221/181/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

LOL!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I haven't noticed any improvement with my symptoms since LCing. As a matter of fact, I'd been on Atkins for a year when I hit bottom (again) and sought therapy (again). This therapist and subsequent psychiatrist diagnosed ADD. I'm now taking medication (Wellbutrin, Ritalin) and am doing much better.

But I've finally, after a lot of reading about it, accepted the fact that I'll just never be like "normal people," and I've stopped hoping that a diet, a medication or a rigid structure will "fix me." My brain works differently than most other people's. Oh well.

I will say the medication gives me more energy and clears the "static" that seems to surround me and be inside of me and also I don't seem to "care" so much about what I perceive to be my shortcomings, whereas they used to really upset me.

Anyway, all that to say, no. Grain and sugar-free didn't help after the initial 6 months or so where I seemed to feel and function better on LC. Then I went down, and went down fast into a deep depression and overwhelmed state. The medication has helped.