Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 00:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Default 2 double vodkas? Oh my? Now what?

Hello Atkins people,
I'm rehearsing a play and last night went out with the cast and had 2 double vodkas (with water, of course.) While I thought this was discipline, now I'm home and wondering what it does to my induction. Atkins says, it just postpones it. Is that right? Is there anything to do? Do I have to wait 48 hours for fat burning now? Oh well, live and learn. (BTW, not worth it I say, with hindsight.)Oh, no. I guess this should have gone into the confessions thread. Anyone else had a vodka and lived to regret? Ill drink lots of water to flush out. Egad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruby,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 07:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ruby, read 2 chapters of DANDR and call me in the morning

Contrary to popular belief, alcohol will not knock you out of ketosis. Your body actually burns alcohol as ketones regardless of how you eat (LC of high carb) what it does however, is suspend fat burning until the alcohol has been burned off. Your body will burn fuel in this order: alcohol, carbs then stored fat.

While alcohol isnt a great idea if you're trying to lose fat, it's not the that you might think it is. What many find about alcohol consumption is that is effects their judgement and they end up eating things with it that they would not normally.

Hang in there and keep your water up - you're likely to be dehydrated.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 08:45

Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Red face Double vodkas aren't worthit!

Hi Nat,
Thanks. It's now early morning and ooooooooohhh boy! I feel yechy! Drank 2 huge glasses of water before bedtime. (I didn't cheat last night.) But I can tell you, the spicy tomato juice beckoned from the fridge. I'm still on track though. Thanks for info. I wonder how long it takes to burn? Anyway, that'll be it for vodkas for a while, I'm definitely not up to par this mornin'.

Bye
Ruby
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 17:58

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Question the demon spirits

Speaking of alcohol, has anyone else felt 100x worse in the morning after drinking in this LC WOE? Maybe I'm getting old, but the alcohol REALLY gets me nowadays. (Now, because of it, I've cut down )
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 19:55

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Wine near killed me!

Totally gets me now. My sweetie made me dinner last week, and we split a bottle of wine, like we usually do, and I was really loopy after! I had to go get some air! I couldn't believe it!

I hope this is because of the WOL, because I hate to think that I'm just getting old!!

Cheers!

Dizzy D
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

More likely than not it's this WOL. Alcohol is turned into Ketones and burned as fuel - our bodies are now very efficient at burning ketones for fuel. LC tends to make us cheaper drunks

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:48
Registered Member

Stats: 250/201/205 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 109%

That is sure the truth. I used to be a pretty competent drinker, but I had a few bourbons during the Superbowl and really felt them. Had a glass of wine tonight, and got sleepy too. Weird, considering how much I used to drink.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:51
Registered Member

Stats: 250/201/205 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I also can't believe how sweet the wine tasted. It was a dry cabernet that we used to drink all the time. Tonight, it tasted like Boones Farm.