Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 21:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/225/140 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 26%
Unhappy so tired of this

i am so tired of the fight............. I went on atkins several years ago.......and lost REALLY fast. But for some reason got off after losing thirty pounds. Now after several attempts to get back on i cant seem to lose. Do you think that your body becomes sort of immune to being without carbs??? i stay in ketosis but cant loose a pound.... i am just ready to chuck itall...........eat and be fat! Im not giving up but i sure feel like it
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 23:02

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default I know how you feel

when it seems that you are putting forth your best effort and nothing is happening. Or it isn't happening as fast as you would like.

But that's just it. You didn't gain all the weight "just like that" and so it won't come off "just like that" either. I think it helps if you write down your goals and your reasons for setting them. Review them every day or several times a day if you have to. Then you just have to keep on doing the things that you know will get you there. Take every step one at a time and focus on the journey NOT the destination. We all want to get there but you need to be paying attention all along the way. Enjoy how much better you are feeling, feel good that you are taking care of yourself and doing something for yourself. Take pride and confidence in the fact that you set a goal and are sticking to it. Basically you have to give yourself pep talks or come here and let someone else give you one.

Don't give up. That's the best way to feel like a failure.

Hope this helps.

Take care.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 00:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

Come on please do not give up hope. I do not lose the pounds as fast as I would like as well but I know that it is working. Last week I could not fit into my jeans and now this week I can. I have only been on the diet three weeks but feel like a million bucks because I fit into my pants. I know that I have not lost much weight but I do not care. Change your diet alittle maybe to much salt intake, not enough water, try some lemon it works as a diertic. Keep going you will see results soon enough. If you are not happy being overweight then you should not be that weight.

Please stick to it because you can do it..

Pearl
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 01:15

Stats: 240/228/190
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Long term effects on carb processing

This thread posts a question that I've been wondering as well. What are the long term effects on the body's ability to process carbohydrates after being on a low carb diet for a while?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 02:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
What are the long term effects on the body's ability to process carbohydrates after being on a low carb diet for a while?

Exactly the same way it did before, by turning them into fat!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Do you think that your body becomes sort of immune to being without carbs???

Nope it doesn't however you are probably eating something that is stalling you. PLEASE go to the journal section and start one so the experts around here can take a look and tell you most likely what it is.

Things like diet sodas, jello, cheese, dairy, nuts and so many other things are notorious stallers and we can't give you hints unless we know what your eating so go create a journal.

Also stry entering your menus in www.fitday.com you maybe suprised at the amount of carbs you are eating!
Jo
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 08:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: so tired of this

Quote:
Originally posted by ngarbade
I went on atkins several years ago.......and lost REALLY fast. But for some reason got off after losing thirty pounds. Now after several attempts to get back on i cant seem to lose. Do you think that your body becomes sort of immune to being without carbs???

I think your body is resisting. "Oh no, not again - we tried this once and it didnt last" Repeated attempt at LC will make sticking to it (and seeing results right away) difficult. You must stick with it though - you will see it working - If you give yourself the necessary time. You need to get your body to realize that this time is for good. Everytime you go back to eating high carb and try to return to LC you are sending mixed signals to your body and messing around with your metabolism. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/225/140 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up Ya'll are soooooooooo right!

Yall are soooooooo right......... thanks for the support....I really was gonna give it up this morning but i wont thanks to you guys.......I'm gonna take one day at a time
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 19:05

Stats: 240/228/190
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Regarding effects of low carbing

I am getting great results with low carbing. This is the first time In my life I've ever been on any kind of a diet. I've always eaten whatever I want. My problem was that I allowed life to take over my ability to remain active. My hope is to low carb and excercise together, in order to speed the time it takes me to get to my goal. i then hope to be able to eat normal, while maintaining my usual high level of excercise.

There are millions of people in the world, who eat normal or high carb diets, but are active and maintain tremendous physiques. I suppose my question would be does low carbing debilitate your body's obvious ability (in most cases) to burn the carbs, rather than store them as fat, when you are active?

I believe very firmly that it is better to be active, than to be on a diet (diets are great to help you discipline your eating). I'm not sure I totally subscribe to the belief that we were created to be "meat eaters" from the start either, so it stands to reason (for me) that maintaining reasonable excercise levels is the human body's way of burning the broad dynamic of foods that we have available to us (outside, of course, of the high processed sugars and heavily fried "fast food" items that our culture takes in, though some seem to be able to burn these as well). isn't it really all about boosting the metabolic rate to the point of processing all of the chemistry taken in through food? Isn't excercise the best way to do that?

Sorry for so many questions together, but I'm interested in others' opinions on this.

Thanks