Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 11:50

Plan: BFL
Stats: 110/108/100
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default More fit/toned body?

Hi All,
I appreciate everyone's reply and just to let you all know, I have seen a doctor. She had put me on zoloft (anti-depressant) about 7 months ago, and said that I could stop taking it whenever I felt ready. I stopped taking it about 2 months ago, because I feel much better than I did before...
I know that I don't NEED to lose more weight, but I'd like to adopt this LC diet because it makes sense to me that carbs make you fat!
I guess what I want most is to have a lean, toned body. I guess the answer to that would be exercise. When I had my eating disorder, I ran 2 mi. everyday but ate nothing. So while I did slim down a lot, I lost a lot of muscle also. So now I wnat to be able to slim down the fat and look lean.
Ive been finding it a lot more difficult to make time for the gym lately because I'm in school all day and work most afternoons/night. How is everyone else's exercise regimen? Any suggestions as to what I can do at home?
About how many calories should I be eating a day? Also, I had a question about keeping track of the foods I eat during the day. How do I know how many 'ounces' of something that I eat? I know when I have cheese, there's no way for me to weight it or anything. If Atkins advises no more than 4oz. of cheese/day, how will I know if I've exceeded my limit?
Hope everyone else is doing well and enjoy Superbowl Sunday!

-Carol

PS. What does the % and all those drumsticks and stuff mean by my name? Sorry, I'm still new to the forum
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 172.5/165.5/130
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default read read read

Welcome to the forum...I would suggest that you get the Dr.Atkins book. I know it takes a lot of time to read it, but you really will gain a better understanding of how to do this WOL. Also, look around on this website, most of your questions will be answered Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 18:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/181/140
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi SomaGirl,

I have the same problem with not having all that much extra time to hit the gym. I found a great solution that has been working great so far...buy a resistance band with handles. You can do almost every exercise imaginable with one of those, and you see results quickly...which makes it all that more rewarding. I have a smaller circular resistance band, too, which works the legs well, because the other one is too big to do adduction/abduction (outer and inner thigh) exercises. And they're inexpensive - I just bought mine (with the handles) for $12 (in Canada).

Another great piece of home exercise equipment that is inexpensive is a physio ball...which is one of those big balls that you blow up. You can do many, many different exercises with it. My favourite is to sit and bounce on it while I'm watching a TV show, or am on the computer. Bounce on that thing for an hour and your legs will love you forever (after they stop wobbling!). I bought my ball about 2 years ago for $50, but they are considerably cheaper these days - I'd say around $25.

If you want to get a full range of weight exercises, you might want to pick up 3lb and 5lb dumbells. You can find a lot of excellent exercises online to do with them. You'll soon find those weights to be easier to lift, so you can move up and buy heavier weights.

And last but not least, the absolute greatest thing that has sculpted my arms at home? Wall push-ups. Stand about a foot and a half from the wall, with your hands a little more than shoulder width apart, and do 15 "push-ups"...then move your hands a little closer together, do 15 more...then move your hands so they have about 1 hand length between them and do 10-15 more. The last ones are amazing for your triceps...especially the "chicken wing" part of your arm.

Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, so as you're building muscle, you might find that you're gaining weight - but it's GOOD weight to gain, because more muscle = better fat burning, and your body will begin to look a lot healthier and fitter. Don't be afraid of gaining a few pounds if you know you're exercising and eating properly!

If you want to keep track of what you're eating, how many carbs/calories, the best idea is to check out and register with www.fitday.com . It gives you a breakdown of everything you put in your mouth, provided you enter the information accurately. As far as calories, it seems that 10-12x your weight is ideal.

How tall are you? Not to nag or anything, but 100lbs is very little, so I'm just curious as to your height and bone-structure (small/medium/large frame).

Anyways, I hope this helped some!

Thatgirl.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 19:44

Plan: BFL
Stats: 110/108/100
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thatgirl,
Thanks for all your helpful info.! The in-home exercise tips you gave sound great and I will DEFINITELY be trying the wall push-ups! I've found though, that since I don't have that much time during the day/evening to go to the gym, I've forced myself all week to go BEFORE I start my day (ie. 6am... yes, its really hard to pry myself out of bed these winter mornings though..). So hopefully, I'll be able to keep it up because like Bill Phillips says in BFL, it's better to work out on an empty stomach also!
How long have you been LCing? Which plan are you on? Congrats on losing the weight you've lost so far...hopefully we can all keep each other in check!
I am 5'5 feet tall.. I guess one thing you should know is that I was diagnosed with an eating disorder about a year ago. So it has been a challenge to adopt this WOE, let along eat anything at all! While I know my mental image of my body is still a bit distorted at times, I'm really working on it. You're absolutely right too, as long as I know that I am working out and eating right, gaining a few pounds is okay...<I hope..>
Well thanks for all your help and I'll talk to you soon!

Keep the faith,
-Carol
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 20:33

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but,

You should check the excercise forum, there are so many good ideas for working out. Good Luck. If you tone up, you may not even want to lose those 10 lbs.

Good Luck,
Erin
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/181/140
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Carol,

I've been LC'ing (Atkins) for almost 3 weeks now (coming up this weekend), and it's amazing how much my body has changed. Not necessarily only weight or measurement-wise, but just the way I look at eating. I know this isn't supposed to be about the willpower to not eat carbs, and more about a new WOE, but I've learned that I *DO* have a lot more willpower and drive than I ever gave myself credit for. I'm extremely conscious of what I put into my body now, too...and educating myself more about food makes it much easier to say no to a chocolate bar, etc.

Do you have a journal here yet? That might help you keep on track, and it's great to have other people read it and encourage you. Mine is in the 'T' section if you want to see an example.

Glad to hear that you're making an effort to tackle the eating disorder head-on. I won't pretend to understand what you've gone through with it, but I can tell you that this is an extremely supportive group and everyone would do anything to encourage you to work through it! I definitely wish you the best.