Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 23:31

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%
Post MSNBC and insulin resistance.

Here are some excerpts from MSNBC on the subject, it does not stop them from taking a swipe at us "fad" dieters though.....

"High levels of the hormone insulin, seen in what is called “metabolic syndrome” (or “syndrome X”) have gone from being an incidental finding among some overweight and inactive people to a major health concern that could spell higher rates of diabetes, colon cancer, heart disease and stroke across the country."

and

" Giovannucci’s report notes that low-fiber starchy foods as well as sweets raise blood sugar quickly. Diets high in these foods seem especially dangerous for those who are sedentary, reportedly facing 4.5 times the colon cancer rate as those who are lean, active and eat a low-sugar, high-fiber diet."

But they cannot miss a chance to get at us...

"Some fad diets claim to solve insulin abnormalities and weight problems, but those claims are not supported by the experts. In fact, they have been denounced in a recent review of popular diets as posing health risks all their own"
The full article is at this site.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/717559.asp?0dm=N13NH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Hi SAlt lake city man

I have been told I was insulin resistant several years ago, but my endocrinologyst didn't see the problem as the nutritionst did.

I have relocated to be closer to my only son and family, so with a new doctor, she does not explain what she thinks about my weight excepting that I lie about what I'm consuming. She claims people like me eat an additional 2,000 cal above what we say we eat.

She suggested that I eat carbs that have fiber, {okay} and take glucophage as a way of reducing insulin and warding off diabetes. Claims that this is new thinking,{ha! at last new thoughts} and that it was also an appitite suppressor!!!

Now, I thought this is in keeping with the low carbo eating, saying that if we do not eat the sugar inducing carbs, we prevent big insulin pump and keep the insulin level down, causing no increase in appetite, WITH OUT A PRESCRIPTION DRUG ie: glucophage.

But she disagrrees with me about keeping out too much fruit and WW bread, ww pasta , starchy veggies:ie sweet potato. corn etc.

I feel that I want to go on ATkins but I need to be monitored with frequent B tests to make sure the cholesterol does not spike. After all, If I can consume what you are allowed to eat on Atkins, I have a better chance of success, than if I modify it to the point that I'm not satiated and hence failure again.

I also suffer from gout and the last episode was 3 weeks ago. I found on the internet a suggestion that all fruit for two weeks would be good and adding cherry juice extract capsule to my cochicine doses daily.

Sometimes I get confused, because I can no longer trust their advice, it is too little, too fleeting and totally non understanding.
In the end, I have no choice, when something goes wrong and I get more meds pushed on me. With out thoughts of how to adjust someother way.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 13:30

BF:

I understand your confusion, a very good friend of mine who is clearly insulin resistant if not diabetic was having trouble with conflicting views on appropriate foods. I persuaded her that the most important item to measure is blood sugar, and that if she ate foods that did not cause her blood sugar to spike up or fall below around the 80 mark, then she knew that the foods would be OK.
She bought at my recommendation the new One Touch Ultra system and proceeded to monitor against foods. In this fashion she took various foods out of her diet (including protein bars-the dreaded glycerine-). She is now holding her blood sugars in the 90-110 range and guess what, has dropped 8 lbs in around 2 weeks.
So if you really want to know what foods you can eat and still keep your blood sugar and insulin in check that would be my advice, in conjunction of course with following a good diet plan like Protein Power.
Incidentally Bernstein says that he has not eaten fruit for 25 years with no ill effect on his health.

Last edited by Oldsalty : Sat, Mar-02-02 at 13:37.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 13:38

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Both sides have lost creditability....

I know what the expert's say, I know what my Endo say's and I know what work's for me! I'm in my 85th day of Atkins, slightly modified for Type II Diabetics. I started at 398! and 85 day's later I'm at 313! For member’s of the Florida Supreme Court, that’s 85 Pound weight loss in 85 day’s!

I was taking three types of med.’s for just reasonable control of my blood glucose levels of 180 to 200, that was the best control and I was facing injection next for control.

Within (literally and factually) 3 day’s of starting the Modified Atkins Plan, I "crashed"! my blood glucose level dropped to 38! I was dis-oriented, dizzy, tingling in my mouth and tongue, serious condition to be in when you are driving!!! I stopped at the drug store and got a bottle of Glucose Tablet’s downed a few and within 10 minutes I was better with a blood glucose of 80! I immediately called my Endo for advice and he told me to stop all three of my med.’s and see him in the morning! I did and haven’t looked back, today I’m still a diabetic and always will be, but my blood glucose levels are between 80 and 120,well"within normal limits". My Blood Pressure is 120/85, LDL/HDL is 100, and all the others are within normal range including testosterone level’s which had also been low, now running 800’s which is good for 54 year old male with diabetes.

I have recently added back some carbs, currently at about 40 grams per day. I will be at about that range until I reach my loss goal of 160 lbs. Then the trimming and adjusting will start to maintain.

When I stepped on the scale and it said "Ouch! 398" , a paradigm shift (In my reality) happened deep inside somewhere and everything about my health and physical conditions came into focus and a real change became totally possible and practical at that moment in time.

I had only consciously experienced a paradigm shift in my reality once before. I had a three gram a day cocaine addiction and I was also a full out alcoholic too boot. One morning after a bad night, I looked in the mirror and I plainly remember saying to myself…" this stuff is killing me!" and with God as my witness, a paradigm within my reality shifted and I was able to quit using at that point in time, in that instant... my life changed totally.

Those who have experienced the phenomenon, will say… "yes, I understand", and it is possible that those who haven’t had the experience will say… that’s a bunch of "Airy-Fairy B.S." , all I can offer is 85 pound weight loss in 85 day’s, it speaks for itself , take it or leave it.

However you could just figure I was on a weight loss plateau for 18 years!

God Bless and Be Well.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default low carbs vrs low calorie

How nice to find your answers to my post.

Very informative and interesting since most of my correspondence has been with women {except LCER NW}

I guess I experienced some sort of revelation myself when I went from babysitting monday three weeks ago to crutches for two days with a severe case of gout in wrists, ankles, knees, fingers and maybe even the vertibrae.

I went to the rehumi who was treating me for her guess of gout {no test come out positive} and she increased medication to include more colchicine and eventually allopurinol.

I cried because I was taking HB pills, Prilosec for gerd and lipitor for cholesterol and a bunch of other stuff for pain. It was then I said I need to do something other than take pills.

On the intenet I found someone who suggested cherry extract juice capsules and I have been taking them with the low dose of colchicine and ate a sparse diet of frozen fruit, eggs and broccoli. Three weeks and no sign of gout . I have added some chicken and turkey to my diet and record my food intake like it was medicine on fitday.com.

I will keep searching about the low carb method and will find what will work for me.
I have in fact been using Ultra bs meter and found most carbs spike my bs quite a bit even tho they are supposedly high fiber. A bannana can send it to 175. a sweet potato to 195. the only time I had any reading over 200 to 300 was when I decided to eat a few cookies. I guess I needed to see the affects for sure.

Even tho the intern last time around thought my fasting BS in the am at 88 was good, I feel that I would like it never to go over 145 in response to food although it would be nice not to go over 120. Even with low carbs I find it spiking over 120 after eating.
I read somewhere while getting to Old Salty's information, that portion controll was the answer.

I thought that to mean, what I have to do is half of a banana, 1/2 small sweet potato one slice of sgww grain bread etc.

I guess I can try that and in the mean time I do 2 oz protein in am, 4oz of protein at lunch; and 6 oz of protein at dinner.
So I have blueberries for snack {frozen] and allow one treat of klondike bar, no sugar low fat.
and of course free veggies and salad if I feel hungry.

This was the prescription for WW in the 70's where it was following a basic ADA diet. The pyrymid has changed to more carbs and less protein with their pt system allowing you to eat anything, even chocolate.

You men are an inspiration to me. Particularly how open you are about your other past indulgences. My past indulgences were moping over a crashed 37 year old marriage.
What I wasted on that guy!!!

I don't think you know how much your masculine presence in your voice/writings, is appreciated. I have 5 brothers that live in NY and they are so backward, even though we have been dragging them into the 21 st century via the computer, kicking and screeming, they are so in denial of everything that would help them live a better life. {all of us retired excepting one 72 year old still working}

Again, I hope this is one of many posts that you share with me.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 21:23

BF:

"I thought that to mean, what I have to do is half of a banana, 1/2 small sweet potato one slice of sgww grain bread etc. "
I didn't quite understand why you mentioned these foods, Of all the foods that I avoid you have just listed my top 3...... If you added to this pasta, rice and regular potato this would complete my list of foods not to eat.
Also one point to mention re portion control, I never now experience the burning hunger that had to be satisfied with carbs (bagels donuts etc) since I started to eat in this way. so the body does automatically limit the amount of food that is eaten when meals consist of fat protein and leafy greens.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 23:50

BF:
Default Amen...

I have been truly amazed how very full I am now and I was always hungry before. Hey, It works for me.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 06:12
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

She mentions those foods because she is following Sugarbusters, which allows low glycemic foods.

I would recommend a stricter regime. If cutting some carbs makes you feel a little better, imagine what cutting all of the other sugar foods would do?

Even on Atkins you are allowed 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of low carb vegetables on induction. From there, OWL (on going weight loss) lets you add in more healthy carbs.

Try it for yourself and see...you will feel incredible with energy and positive moods and your blood sugar should be normal for the first time in who knows how long.

The people that see the most dramatic results are the ones who change what they eat the most.

Elihnig
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 09:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

re Sugarbusters and low-glycemic foods.

I'm looking at my copy of SugarBusters! and potatoes (all kinds) top the list of foods to avoid, and bananas and other tropical fruits are the highest glycemic, and are not on the list of permitted fruits.

Chapter XI, Acceptable Foods and Substitutes, pp. 120 - 128. You may also wish to check out the glycemic index and food lists at http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 11:48

BF:
Default I'm gonna wade in on this...

I'm gonna mention (again two books) what works and is at the very least good info.
1.) Diabetic Solutions by Dr. Bernsteine
2.) The NEW Diet Revolution by Dr. Atkins

The answers are between the covers, just like good loving! (Can I say that here?) as I smile broadly to myself.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 18:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default lost my post again

hey guys, I just finished a rather long post and then lost it.
I think it was because the internet got disconnected.

Can't do it again, need to post on fitday.com for the diary I'm keeping. Hurting all over today!

Do any of you ever experience the pain of gout, arthritis, or fibromyalgia?

Jims gems, I had forgotten what covers you were referring to.
The only lovin I ever get it what the little tot hands out!

JuJubaby is my nickname for my little grand daughter.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 19:38

BF:
Default Good Loving is...

Darlin';

There is no such thing as bad loving, there is all different types and the content is different with and in all of them, but I understand.

My wife is amused at the number of women who are hitting on me, she say's I'm like a Southern Democrat running for election... (I'm a Republician Conservative,) but I know what she means. I'm a bass singer in a semi-professional Southern Gospel quartet and I do clean up real good and when we sing the sweet older lady's are just so cute, It is just since I lost 85 lbs though, that it has increased, I love them all and giv'em hugs and kisses, those are free, my wife is not bothered by that she knows where I'll be coming home with and with who, that's all she cares about.

Just hav'in fun in my second childhood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thesingersl.jpg (5.3 KB, 158 views)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 01:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default woowhee handsome!!!

Jimsgems, you are a dear.!
Your wife should only get upset when she can't hear you singing anymore!

Babysat little jujubaby today AND kept the carbs at a minimum.

As soon as I can operate this puter thing a little better I would like to post some pictures.

Do you test blood sugar and ketones?
You didn't say that you ever suffer the pain of gout or arthritis,so you are fortunate.

I just test for blood sugar now and will test for ketones soon.
My endo in NY said that all people throw off ketones if they are losing weight. {?}