Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 15:19
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

I can't wait to hit this point. I lost 30 and then tried to wear a skirt to work and it literally fell off me - I was so excited I danced around the house in my underwear and didn't care It was such a feeling of freedom! I can't wait to give away all my clothes and buy all new ones
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/226/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 65%

You have a cute puppy. My dog is 10 years old but still acts like a puppy. She does get up a little slower in the morning the day after a hard play. I think exercise will keep her young. I hope so anyway. She's the best dog I've ever had, and I got her at the shelter.

I just turned 34 today and I'm working toward my "under 200" goal. Only 14 lbs to go!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 12:26

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Exclamation Dogs Dogs Dogs

I have a lots of dogs and of course of loved them. My Casey died last year and I miss her so much. The dog I miss most was a Belgian Sheppard mix who looks alot like your dog. I still dream about her and it's been 25 years! One night I got out of bed and told my daughter to go and let Tapi in, she was scratching at the screen door! Of course Tapi died before my daughter was born.

With some luck even a big dog will do well until 15 years or so. Then it seems to be arthritis etc. So you are right, lots of excercise and it's really important not to let your dog get overweight. Just like us. She is lovely.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 22:13
Registered Member

Stats: 212/201/135 Female 5'4
BF:36%
Progress: 14%

Wow! Thanks everyone for sharing your success. It's incredible how this has given me some hope that I can do it as well. Tomorrow will be a great day!
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 09:32

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%

I got off my blood pressure meds! I only Low Carbed to loose weight, so this was an unexpected delight!
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 01:58

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Smile

I read many posts here and all of you are an inspiration, I wanted to get this back on the main board for others who need encouragement, thanks!!
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 06:25
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie
I got off my blood pressure meds! I only Low Carbed to loose weight, so this was an unexpected delight!

Yes. If you are only low carbing to loose weight -- you are missing many of the benefits that you signed up for.

More energy (do more every day)
Off most prescription drugs
Most health problems are gone
Greater mood, outlook
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 14:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/238/160 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 54%

I feel a difference in many things my knees used to hurt they don't anymore,I don't get winded when I walk up stairs, I can wear cutie clothes lol I feel way confident about myself and people notice that.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 11:11

Stats: 273/251/145 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thank you for this post, it has really motivated me today! I cant wait until I can tell people I have lost 50 pounds or more. Thanks again!!
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 05:07
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 150/120/100 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 60%

Looks like this thread hasn't been posted to in years. It's such an interesting topic. I'm just over half way to goal, having taken off 87 lbs. and still have 77 lbs. to go. Right now, I'm at a point where some things are great and some things are funny.

It's nice being able to sit in a restaurant booth and not have my stomach squashed by the table. It's great having a Blood Glucose of 96 instead of running in the 350-to-450 range.

It was funny when I finally had to throw out my old pair of size 34 blue slacks, after they literally fell down around my ankles one evening at home (thank goodness) by myself, as I walked across the kitchen. Laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. What a great "problem" to have lost so much weight your pants fall off!

Following the last 30 pounds or so that came off, I have to be careful that my rings don't fall off my hands (it's happened more than once). Have to either put a plastic sizer on them or just bend the ring fingers when I'm straightening the bed covers.

The seatbelt on my car now fits AOK. Previously there were times that it seemed difficult getting the seatbelt to click shut. Weighing less makes it it so much nicer now.

Not having to buy clothes from a "large size" catalog is neat. This summer I've noticed I don't seem to sweat (perspire) as much as I used to when I was heavier. My legs don't get chaffed now as they used to. I put the money I used to spend on sweets & junk food, into buying better quality of LC foods. It's easy now to tie shoes. My husband can get his arms around me now which is nice. I have more energy and feel better. Looking forward to continuing to feel even better as more weight comes off. Makes me feel better about myself knowing I'm so much slimmer now, and that I am working hard to eat LC to eventually reach goal.

It's sinking in mentally and emotionally that I can never go back to the old ways of eating. That's taken some adjustment & serious thinking about my life. About giving up junk "food" and chosing to eat healthier LC. If I blow it one meal, I know I can just get right back on it the next meal. I've come too far to not hang in there to the finish line. Really enjoy reading the stories others share and so many of the various threads. What an encouraging resource to be able to turn to, when I need it. Thanks fellow low carbers. Hang in there everyone!
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 06:09
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I've lost 75 and my life is much easier, I have energy that I never had at the higher weights and it is easier to move. at work I fit between places other people don't. I look better in clothes, and even feel comfortable in a bathing suit. My blood sugar is stable and my blood presure is good. I can touch my toes. Shaving my legs and polishing my toenails is no longer a chore. I have more confidence when meeting people, and just went through some job interveiws where I had no problem getting job offers, so the added confidence helped there, too.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 06:38

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddie01
I've lost 75 and my life is much easier, I have energy that I never had at the higher weights and it is easier to move. at work I fit between places other people don't. I look better in clothes, and even feel comfortable in a bathing suit. My blood sugar is stable and my blood presure is good. I can touch my toes. Shaving my legs and polishing my toenails is no longer a chore. I have more confidence when meeting people, and just went through some job interveiws where I had no problem getting job offers, so the added confidence helped there, too.

Everything is so much easier! I pulled my foot up to tuck it in to polish my nails (you know, like hugging your knee?) I thought... wow, when was the last time I did this?

AND there's less to shave on my legs!

I fit into seatbelts easier, getting in and out of cars is easier...

I mean, I've got a long way yet to go, but the difference already is substantial.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 09:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I finally get to eat the way I think is healthy and makes me feel good - that's the biggest one; having confidence about food choices. I have lost 55 pounds but I was always in OK shape - could walk long distances, did construction on our house, run for the train without losing my breath if I needed to, etc. I mostly just feel thinner, although some days I don't feel like I've lost weight at all because I am still fairly big.

My hormonal swings are much more in control, I am less angry and annoyed but I still need to work on that alot (I have 3 toddlers). My body was hijacked by 5 pregnancies in 4 years so not being pregnant feels like the bigger change to me than the weight loss (my youngest is 8 months). I have no gastro pain from grains anymore and no reflux which I had very mildly.

I think the big change will come when I lose 50 more pounds. My body, unfortunately. does not change that quickly with weight loss; I have only lost 2 sizes in 55 pounds, for example. Even when I weighed 160 in high school I still had to shop plus size, so I don't know if I will ever get to shop at normal stores, but I am looking forward to it if it comes. My weight runs with the sizes, so at 130 in grade school, I was a size 13/14, at 180 an 18, now at 229 a 22/24. I wish I had more to look forward to in this department.

Janine
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 06:23
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 150/120/100 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 60%

Jschwab, Don't be discouraged. You may surprise yourself as you get closer to goal. As long as you are sticking to the LC way of eating, things (physically) wonderfully seem to have a way of shifting around and improving, as the fat continues burning off.

They say weight will come off with just LC woe alone, but IF you are able to walk or do SOME kind of exercise every week there are lots of folks who have found that it helps in toning up and getting physically more shapely. Sometimes I feel I'd almost rather have dental work done than to do exercise, but I go ahead and try my best to do ten minutes three times a week. That's not much, but it's more than not doing any exercises, especially for me.

My feet & right ankle are very messed up due to diabetes related problems. I hobble around with one or sometimes two quad canes, but am happy to at least be able to navigate on my own, and am glad I have both feet. A doctor told me once 7 years ago that I probably had 6 months or less and I would lose both feet and my lower right leg. I cried. Went home, prayed, and determined that with the Good Lord's help I would NOT lose my feet and my right lower leg. So far, so good.

I can't do jumping jacks. I can't walk on an eliptical machine or even on a treadmill. But you know what, I don't let it keep me down. My mind is made up to do what I can to help myself get fitter and life is good.

I figured out a little routine of about 8 variable execises that I do, sitting in a chair in my living room. A couple of the exercises using a stretchy cord I got at Wal-Mart. Nothing fancy, but it makes me feel good inside to know that I'm pushing as best as I can to get stronger.

My arms have a little definition, muscle-wise, that wasnt' there a year ago. I am proud that I can use my arms to heft myself up to get out of the seat in the sidecar of our Patrol motorcycle. Can't walk very well, but I can step up on a little step-stool and climb into the sidecar. My husband takes my quad cane apart and puts in, with the step-stool, into the trunk on the sidecar. And away we go. He drives because my feet cannot move the motorcycle foot pedals to shift, but I sit there with a big grin on my face, enjoying the wind blowing, having fun leaning into the curves along the road. Appreciating the open-air view of all the surrounding scenery along the road, and though we don't usually go much faster than about 50 or 55 mph, it feels like pure freedom. Freedom from hobbling to get slowly from here to there. Freedom to go like the wind.

Talk about distraction from even thinking about food. It's a new hobby for me. We only got the Patrol the last week of June this summer. Between improved Blood Sugar levels, starting losing weight again on Atkins, and relishing motorcycle riding as a sidecar passenger, I have a lot to smile about lately.

There is nothing that's going to keep me from doing everything in my power to hang in there and eventually reach my goal. I bet you will reach your goal too!

Maybe you can shake things up a bit by taking up a new hobby. Break out of the humdrum. Give it some thought as to a dream you might have or a hope of something different that could bring joy into your life.

Something that's really fun and makes you smile. Take a little time to find a new hobby that helps make life more alive---less focusing on counting carbs and a little more on the good around us. Some folks really enjoy doing some sort of community work to help others----even if it's just reading stories to kids at the library one afternoon a week. Good luck!

Last edited by Linda85 : Wed, Aug-08-07 at 06:26. Reason: accidentally typed July & meant to type June
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 14:21

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda85
Jschwab, Don't be discouraged. You may surprise yourself as you get closer to goal. As long as you are sticking to the LC way of eating, things (physically) wonderfully seem to have a way of shifting around and improving, as the fat continues burning off.

They say weight will come off with just LC woe alone, but IF you are able to walk or do SOME kind of exercise every week there are lots of folks who have found that it helps in toning up and getting physically more shapely. Sometimes I feel I'd almost rather have dental work done than to do exercise, but I go ahead and try my best to do ten minutes three times a week. That's not much, but it's more than not doing any exercises, especially for me.

My feet & right ankle are very messed up due to diabetes related problems. I hobble around with one or sometimes two quad canes, but am happy to at least be able to navigate on my own, and am glad I have both feet. A doctor told me once 7 years ago that I probably had 6 months or less and I would lose both feet and my lower right leg. I cried. Went home, prayed, and determined that with the Good Lord's help I would NOT lose my feet and my right lower leg. So far, so good.

I can't do jumping jacks. I can't walk on an eliptical machine or even on a treadmill. But you know what, I don't let it keep me down. My mind is made up to do what I can to help myself get fitter and life is good.

I figured out a little routine of about 8 variable execises that I do, sitting in a chair in my living room. A couple of the exercises using a stretchy cord I got at Wal-Mart. Nothing fancy, but it makes me feel good inside to know that I'm pushing as best as I can to get stronger.

My arms have a little definition, muscle-wise, that wasnt' there a year ago. I am proud that I can use my arms to heft myself up to get out of the seat in the sidecar of our Patrol motorcycle. Can't walk very well, but I can step up on a little step-stool and climb into the sidecar. My husband takes my quad cane apart and puts in, with the step-stool, into the trunk on the sidecar. And away we go. He drives because my feet cannot move the motorcycle foot pedals to shift, but I sit there with a big grin on my face, enjoying the wind blowing, having fun leaning into the curves along the road. Appreciating the open-air view of all the surrounding scenery along the road, and though we don't usually go much faster than about 50 or 55 mph, it feels like pure freedom. Freedom from hobbling to get slowly from here to there. Freedom to go like the wind.

Talk about distraction from even thinking about food. It's a new hobby for me. We only got the Patrol the last week of June this summer. Between improved Blood Sugar levels, starting losing weight again on Atkins, and relishing motorcycle riding as a sidecar passenger, I have a lot to smile about lately.

There is nothing that's going to keep me from doing everything in my power to hang in there and eventually reach my goal. I bet you will reach your goal too!

Maybe you can shake things up a bit by taking up a new hobby. Break out of the humdrum. Give it some thought as to a dream you might have or a hope of something different that could bring joy into your life.

Something that's really fun and makes you smile. Take a little time to find a new hobby that helps make life more alive---less focusing on counting carbs and a little more on the good around us. Some folks really enjoy doing some sort of community work to help others----even if it's just reading stories to kids at the library one afternoon a week. Good luck!

Thank you for your response to my post. You are very inspirational! Maybe I seemed more down than I am. I do meaningful nonprofit work with wonderful people, I have an able body and a beautiful family. I work out pretty hard 45 minutes to an hour and a half at least five days a week, actually. I have lots of hobbies - we just got hobby chickens and we do many fun things with our kids and I actually really enjoy thinking about food. I am not a binge eater so eating the wonderful food I love on Atkins has been great. I have alot of hobbies and we are very active in the community. At the end of the month, we are taking in another free boarder who we are helping to save money so she can fulfill her dream of moving to Europe. Last year we took in a free boarder who was able through our help to finally get his GED, save some money, heal from a devastating accident. Right now he is in the middle of a cross country bike trip.

I am looking forward to playing my accordion again when the kids are older, but that has nothing to do with my weight, just toddlers!

Enjoy your motorcycle ride!!!

Janine