Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/160/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question Vitamins

Ok, I am still plugging away at DANDR and will read Protein Power when I finish.

Dr. A has discussed vitamins in the parts I have read, but I guess I am still a bit confused.

Will I be able to get the required vitamins in a daily supplement (minus iron) and a daily calcium supplement? Or will I have to take some separate things as well?

Thank you for any insight. And I will keep on reading.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:17

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

i take a multi vitmain/mineral supplement, and calcium supplements - i always feel the difference when i stop taking them, and when i do..so i consider these 'basics'.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:23
Registered Member

BF:
Default Another question

Thanks Blu.

Also, does anyone know of a good multivitamin brand? Like Centrum or something similar? I have a GNC brand now, but it has iron in it.

Merci!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Iron is a concern if you're post-menopause, otherwise the monthly losses will balance things out. But, that being said, it's up to you ... likely you'll be getting adequate iron from the diet if you're eating red meats.

Centrum is great, Quest is another good brand. I'm in Canada, so not sure if the brands are the same. Any good quality multi-vitamin mineral supplement is fine. Make sure it's sugar, sucrose, starch-free. Do you also take extra Calcium & Magnesium? That would be wise, and potassium too.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:39
Registered Member

BF:
Default Potassium

Ok, so potassium is taken in a seperate supplement?

So, it sounds like I need a good calcium supplement, multi (I am 26, so I guess if I get enough iron in meat I should be ok without it), and a potassium supplement.

I hope that's right. Dr. A mentioned so many vitamins, I was just not sure if they were all to be taken seperately. And I want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks for all of the advice!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:58
Forum Founder

BF:

Dr. A's list of vitamins are for the ideal world. That's just my opinion of course. Many folks do very well without the supplements he suggests. Sometimes though, if you're stuck, maybe adding something he recommends can help.

As a general rule, no matter what program you follow .... a good once-daily multiple vitamin & mineral supplement. For myself, I try to choose a formula that is "super" or 'stress" .. they will have extra B-vitamins.

1,000 mg per day of Calcium, and 450 mg per day of magnesium. Cal-Mag is available combined together, usually 333mg cal and 167mg mag. ..... take 1 tablet, 3 times a day ... I suggest taking the third dose at bedtime ... Cal-Mag has a very soothing effect, and a number of members here have reported improved sleep ..

Potassium can be taken as a separate pill, but the easiest and cheapest way to get extra in the diet is to use a salt-substitute, such as Morton's Lite Salt. It's half regular salt, and half potassium chloride. You just sprinkle it on food, or use it in recipes just like regular salt. It's a good idea anyway, we tend to get too much salt in our diets ...

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 20:02

BF:
Default potassium...

i keep hearing about potassium.. sorry if i'm making you guys repeat ..but why is potassium important.. and in which foods is it in? my multi vitamin (just checked it) has 40mg of it or 1% of the daily recommended value. thanks for any info..
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 20:03

BF:

oops. i guess doreen you answered my question
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 22:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

What does calcium and magnesium do?
And what problems might you see if you didn't get enough?

Jeaneatte
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 22:59
Forum Founder

BF:

Well, to save myself a whole lot of typing, I'm going to copy and paste here an essay I wrote a few months ago to someone else who asked this question. Hmm, I see another Tips article brewing.
Quote:
Calcium is the very first mineral I think of when I hear night-time muscle cramps / charley-horse pain. Magnesium is also an important muscle food; it works with calcium -- the two minerals need to be in balance -- too much of one can lead to not enough of the other, and vice versa.

Calcium doesn't affect the muscles directly ... it's more of a "nerve" food ... it's required for the proper conduction of nerve impulses to and from the muscle tissue. Here's the scenario -- a nerve impulse is sent to a muscle causing it to contract. The impulse is then sent back to the nerve, and continues along the pathway, with calcium being a "carrier" in the fluid between the nerve cells. If calcium levels are low, the impulse isn't transmitted efficiently from nerve cell to nerve cell -- thus, the poor muscle stays in an uncomfortable state of contraction .. ..

We've all been indoctrinated with women's need for calcium, and the risks of osteoporosis post-menopause (estrogen protects the bones). It's recommended pre-menopause adult women get 1000 mg per day of calcium, and 1200 mg per day post-menopause or over age 50. However, in the last 5 yrs, there's been considerable evidence that MEN over age 50 also need to pay attention to calcium intake --- osteoporosis and hip fracture are just as big a threat to senior men as to women. So, the recommendation is for 1000 mg per day for men as well.

Dairy products do indeed have a lot of calcium in them, but its not well-absorbed, despite the claims from the "Got Milk" commercials on TV. Dark green vegetables, almonds, tofu are good sources, and more readily absorbed. For a calcium supplement, avoid Tums or Rolaids. Yes, these have calcium in them (as well as lots of sugar) but the antacid can cause your stomach to not produce enough acid for proper digestion.

It's also worth noting that vitamin D is required in order for calcium to be absorbed into bone. We make our own vitamin D in response to bright sunlight passing through the skin ... minimum of one hour a day is required. This is fine in the summer, but if you're indoors a lot in winter, or there's little sunshine ... you might consider taking a supplement, such as cod liver oil. Vitamin D is added to liquid milk products, and dry skim milk powder, but milk is too high in carbs for a sufficient amount of the vitamin to be consumed. And cheese, cream, yogurt ... other dairy products ... do NOT have vit. D added. Adults up to age 50 need 200 units per day; over 50 yrs, the recommendation is 400 units.

Magnesium also plays a role in nerve impulses to the muscles, but is more important for strength and endurance. Low magnesium will result in muscle fatigue and weakness. Recommended 400 mg per day.

Most folks will do well with a calcium-magnesium supplement combined in a 2:1 ratio --- ie, twice as much calcium as magnesium. They often have vitamin D added. Look for a type of supplement that says it is chelated (key-late) .. the mineral is bound to a protein molecule which will increase its absorbability from the intestine. Calcium carbonate from crushed oyster shells or dolomite is poorly absorbed. Calcium and magnesium citrate, gluconate, lactate, etc ... are better sources.

It's better to divide the Cal-Mag into smaller doses through the day, with the final dose at bedtime .. -- rather than one large dose at once (better absorption). Most supplements contain 333 mg calcium and 167 mg magnesium; 2 or 3 tablets a day should do the trick, depending on other sources of calcium in your diet.

Potassium is another important mineral. Especially with fluid retention ... Adults need 2000 - 2500mg per day of potassium, and many of us are chronically deficient. Note that a fair percentage of potassium gets recirculated, so not all of the daily requirement must come from the diet. The least expensive way to get extra potassium is to use a salt substitute, which you can buy in any grocery store right next to the regular salt. There's a product called Half Salt, which is obviously half salt, half potassium, but does have added sugar. Or, there's a product called No Salt, which is pure potassium. It's more expensive, around $4, but a canister will last a long time. I mix it with pure sea salt, for use at the table ... and it works just fine in cooking and recipes. If you don't use the salt shaker much ,,, what I do is stir 1/8 tsp of the pure No Salt into a glass of water. Drink it down. You can barely taste it (it's salty) 1/8 tsp is 320 mg potassium, or about the amount in a large banana. I take it twice a day. It will help relieve the fluid retention, especially if taken with a full glass of water.

NOTE - persons with severe kidney disease, or taking certain blood pressure medications (ACE inhibitors - captopril, enalapril) should discuss taking potassium supplements with their health care provider first.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 23:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks Doreen,
I got one of those aweful cramps in my calf this morning. Aside from being painful, it prevented me from sleeping in. People have always told me that meant I needed more potassium. Maybe I am lacking in that Cal/Mag. But it's strange, I've gotton these cramps often, since I was a kid. Finally I made the correlation that it only happend if I was sleeping on my back. So, I've slept on my stomach for years. No problems, unless I happen to fall asleep on my back. Guess that happened last night. NOT FUN
Jeanette
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 02:46
Pending Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 186/150/135
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Cramping

Last night mine was in my foot. Yeow! (I've also heard low potassium can cause these cramps.)

Shirley
Florida