Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 11:06

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I believe to this day that you need to have good genes...I am 48 and anyone that doesnt know me thinks im around 35..my mom just turned 73 and looks like 65...dont have much wrinkles either..i was never the person to go lay down in the sun to toast..since im italian and already dark skin by nature and i do turn dark in the summer just by gardening, biking, walking and all that summer stuff you do outside...you have got to put sunscreen and you DONT need all the fancy cream they sell out there that cost you an arm and leg...there's was a big study done buy consumer report once and they tested all the most expensive cream to the cheapest and guess what, the new oil of olay rank as one of the best and beat the expensive ones..so go figure that one out...anyhow, also ive been taking for like over 20yrs, everyday, C, E and the pass 7yrs Bcomplex everyday...in the summer i dont take C because our veggies and fruits are all fresher...well you know what i mean..and of course tons of water..i love water, i usually drink easily 2liters a day..and i dont buy bottled unless im outside or on the road...i put my tap water in a 3liter bottle aside for the night and drink it next day...mind you i live in Canada and yes the water is great here...i believe if everyone eats fresh, drinks all the water your body needs and stay out of the sun you'll look great and feel sexy...and yes doent forget to exersice!!!! i do yoga and its the best thing in the world for your body and mind!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 12:12

Plan: various
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
carver said it, cod liver oil is relatively cheap and tolerable ice cold and swallowed fast. I think fish oil is best; I think it's superior to flax, especially for men.

So, what I don't get is this: if we're just looking for more healthy oils to injest, why not go with, say, olive oil or safflower oil or something that tastes good? I could probably manage to injest the same quantity of olive oil straight-- and easily -- on a salad as I can in taking 10 flax or oil capsules. Or mix and match.

So -- why not olive oil?

Thank you again for your knowledge. Much appreciated.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 12:15

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
All the treatments in the world won't fix a miserable pout.

Smiles are free.

Yes, indeed, and thank you for this excellent reminder. I couldn't agree more.

At the same time, when your skin goes from perfectly fine to thin and not-so-fine in the course of a few months -- and you were vain to begin with (me, that is) -- you look to see if there are things you can do, especially if those things are generally good for you anyway.

But yes, I agree about the pout. A smile is the best bling.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 12:45

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

For sure, you cant go wrong with extra virgin olive oil..and yes you can injest it too...ive seen some people drinking EVO to flush all toxins in your liver and yes it does work(http://curezone.com/index.html) ..if you have brittle nails you warm up a bit of EVO and let your fingers soak in it for like 5mins and then massage them, you will see very soon your nails will be hard as rock and healthy...also if you have dry hair, in the shower, you rub warm EVO again and let it sit there while your washing the rest...then, rinse VERY WELL, you will see again the healthy hair your going to get...its all old recipes from the Mediterranean...also the real seasalts are great for body and skin...read up on it you will see...go to the same webpage and you will see a lot of info there about the bodycare...

hope i didnt get off the subject too much sorry if i did.. like i said the only thing i believe in for great skin care is water, fresh food and good genes (dont forget your sunscreen its a must)
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 12:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default There is a reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT
if we're just looking for more healthy oils to injest, why not go with, say, olive oil or safflower oil or something that tastes good?

There's something in the fish, flax, and borage oils that isn't in olive oil. Omega 3 / 6/ 9 something and I could look it up if I were at home, but I'm not.

It's not just "healthy vs unhealthy oils," unfortunately.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 13:05

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny
like i said the only thing i believe in for great skin care is water, fresh food and good genes (dont forget your sunscreen its a must)

I so much agree with you. Mostly about having good genes because in my younger days I went to beach and baked myself in baby oil mixed with iodine and lemon juice sprayed on my hair.

I would NEVER do that today and surprised I didn't damage my skin or hair but who knows only time will tell.

Today you can still find people doing this - now that is scary!

Nikki

Last edited by NYNikki : Thu, Nov-16-06 at 16:02.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 15:00

BF:
Progress:
Default Pumpkin revisited

Quote:
Everyone selling product will tell you that skin has to be "handled" a certain way, and that everyone else's (and particularly the less expensive methods) way will damage "sensitive tissues." Funny how they always use the bigger words, like "cleanse" and "tissues" rather than "wash" and "face." Most of these people are on commission, IMO.

Agreed! My point about pumpkin is that IF it is really truly good at exfoliation, it's a rather cheap treatment this time of year. Hence my question to you all about whether you had any opinions on pumpkin, and if so -- cooked, I assume? Recipe, perhaps?

Many thanks.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 13:46

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
There's something in the fish, flax, and borage oils that isn't in olive oil. Omega 3 / 6/ 9 something and I could look it up if I were at home, but I'm not.

It's not just "healthy vs unhealthy oils," unfortunately.

Hmmm! I would love to know what the essential differnence between these oils is for the purposes of health and skin moisturizing (not to say they are not same issue.) Anyone?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 15:33

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Ya know Alice - there is so much open information on the differnence between these oils, that you are best to goggle it yourself and you'll find all the answer's to your questions.

BTW: I have at least 2 teaspoons of fresh ground flaxseeds daily. Sometimes more. It's full of omega 3 fatty oils.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?...odspice&dbid=81

Nikki
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 22:25

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
Ya know Alice - there is so much open information on the differnence between these oils, that you are best to goggle it yourself and you'll find all the answer's to your questions.

BTW: I have at least 2 teaspoons of fresh ground flaxseeds daily. Sometimes more. It's full of omega 3 fatty oils.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?...odspice&dbid=81

Nikki

Thank you! Good advice.