Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 16:21

Plan: LC cycle w/keto REAL FOOD
Stats: 141/126/112 Female 166 cm
BF:26/21/Lean
Progress: 52%
Question DAE not feel full without tons of protein?

Just wondering if anyone else experiences not really feeling full without eating a ton of protein?

Although I don't shy away from fat at all, I must say that I truly don't feel full on fat alone. I feel much more satisfied eating protein with a bit of fat than I do lots of fat and a bit of protein.

If I have a pork chop, I just don't feel as full as if I've had a chicken breast, for example. Calorie for calorie, I feel fuller just eating eggs than I do eating bacon and eggs.

Does anyone else have this, or am I weird lol?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 18:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

According to Marty Kendall protein is the most satiating macronutrient. Following his Nutrient Optimizer advice I have upped the amount of protein I eat and decreased the amount of fat and I get full eating fewer calories than I used to.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 20:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

This is a bit long and very biochemistry oriented.... but worth viewing. Dr Lustig talks at a couple points about appetite and how it is driven. Specifically what foods prevent the body from recognizing "full".

Perhaps there is an answer here for you.

https://youtu.be/zx-QrilOoSM
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 01:36

Thanks, Jean. Yes I was aware that protein is the "filling" food. It's just that many LC people say that fat fills them up a lot and I really don't experience that. I wondered if I was just different. Glad there is at least you to back up my experience.

Ms Arielle, thank you for the video. It doesn't address what I asked but it was very interesting nonetheless. I haven't eaten a "typical diet" with tons of processed food for a very long time and this video makes me exta-glad that I haven't. But I will keep an eye out for the small amounts of sweetener in things like packaged ham and see if what I'm choosing is optimal.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 03:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Similar experience to that of Jean. Protein in the form of meat or organs makes me feel full and provides a strong satiety signal. Increasing my protein consumption a while ago has been beneficial.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 03:21

Thanks, Rob. You have reminded me, I need to get more organ meats into my diet. They are cheap, non-wasteful, nutritious, and yummy as well.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 04:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I heard it said a long time ago on this forum that you'll basically be hungry until you get enough protein. That's been my experience. I've done a 80/15/5 plan a few times, and it took upwards of 3000 calories a day to not be hungry.

Dr Ted Naiman and others are now beating that drum, too. Pretty much every animal will eat to its protein requirement, including us. So we have to watch what else is coming along for the ride: junk food or nutritious food? Food that makes us compulsively eat more, or food that keeps us satisfied?

That part is highly subjective, and that's the drum I keep beating. I can be satisfied on a cup of coffee with 1 Tbsp of cream and a packet of Splenda and not be hungry for hours. That might not work for someone else. Dr Naiman refers to it as "satiety per calorie". I hate thinking of calories; they're a bullcrap measurement, but I agree with the idea. Maximize your nutrition, get plenty of protein, and focus on the foods that stop you from doing The Mindless Kitchen Prowl two hours later.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 04:51

Thanks, Kristine. That makes a lot of sense to me. I think we should all eat what we actually feel better on. It's like people that say "oh just have a little bit of chocolate rather than a whole bar." That doesn't work for me. I have adddictive tendencies, so one square will just make me crave more. Someone else might feel better having a tiny treat because they are better at moderation.

I wonder if the reason I have picked up on people saying fat fills them up is because they are those people largely switching from empty carbs to nutritious fats and proteins? All those years ago when I ate simple carbs, I noticed that carbs would fill me up very quickly but the fullness wouldn't last. I suppose if you're used to eating toast and fruit for breakfast then switching to eggs and bacon means you're upping protein as well as fat compared to before.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 05:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I can be satisfied on a cup of coffee with 1 Tbsp of cream and a packet of Splenda and not be hungry for hours. That might not work for someone else. ... Maximize your nutrition, get plenty of protein, and focus on the foods that stop you from doing The Mindless Kitchen Prowl two hours later.

This is what works for me. I do well starting the day with coffee, heavy cream, and coconut oil. But 11ish I get hungry, and then I want protein with lots of fat.

This has a lot of nutrition, as it turns out Every time I try to cut down on protein I stay hungry. And that's NOT the name of this game.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 05:10

Thanks, Werebear. Another vote for coffee here, although I have mine straight black with a boiled egg or a little bit of ham and cheese as soon as I wake up.

I suffer from hypoglycemia (pancreas issue) so I need to eat something right away if I'm going to be doing anything physical like showering. I have always enjoyed my coffee black so I don't want to start adding things to it.

That (and then more coffee) usually takes me through to 11am when I have my "proper breakfast", which is often chicken salad Oh, "meal labels" stopped applying to what I eat when a long time ago...