Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#781   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 05:52
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing/Dukan
Stats: 192/166/160 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench

Anyone else experience difficulty sleeping with IF? Or maybe find that you don't need as much sleep when doing IF?

Are you aware of paleohacks.com? This particular subject has come up over there more than once.
Sponsored Links
  #782   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 06:41

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I am not, but I'll look into it today.

I just realized that the lack of sleep must really be getting to me. I thought I was posting that question on the IF thread!
  #783   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-10, 09:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
How much did you take? I have to take about 1,500-2,000 mg of magnesium oxide to have a laxative effect. I normally take about 450 mg a day of the sort that's absorbed better (magnesium malatate).

It was 250 mg. From the same bottle my husband has been taking for a few months, since one of his medications was known to deplete magnesium.

So be aware!
  #784   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-10, 11:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogirl
Are you aware of paleohacks.com? This particular subject has come up over there more than once.

If you find that could you post a link? I've searched for it there and haven't found it.
  #785   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 17:43

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 220/179.6/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I see this thread has not been active for a while but I started the six week cure five days ago. I have lost two lbs. in water weight so far. The third day I became very hungry and had to eat some protein late at night in order to sleep. Now I feel my hunger is subsiding and am feeling better. I have been eating low carb for many years but the last year I put on 15 lbs. from too many splurges. I just read in a Dr. Jonathan Wright book about metabolic syndrome/insulin resistence. Although my Ac1 and fasting glucose levels are good (7 and 79), I still seem to be very sensitive to sugar. When I eat whatever I want (i.e. lots of carbs), I gain 5-10 lbs. in a week's time. The book explains this as metabolic syndrome and if left unchecked can lead to diabetes. I am a 58 year old woman and diabetes does run in my family but with my low levels I thought I was free and clear. Now I am having my doubts. If a person has metabolic syndrome, does that mean they cannot have sugar at all? Am I risking diabetes if I have a splurge from time to time? I am hoping this six week cure will jump start my metabolism and I can drop the extra 15 lbs.

Any insite or comments appreciated.

Abby
  #786   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 18:24

BF:

Abby, I don't think that a splurge from time to time will be a problem, but then what do I know? I think you're doing the right thing by trying to eat right (meaning mostly fat and protein). Looking back on it, I don't think there's anything magical about the 6-Week Cure. Going into it I had high hopes. Now I think that a clean LC program (with no grains, at least for me) is the way to go.

As with any type of diet you choose, there are variations. Atkins, Protein Power, they're all variations on a theme. I've found that wheat does me in. It sets me up cravings that derail all the good things I'm trying to do. For others, dairy does this. You need to find what works -- and what doesn't work -- for you personally.

The 6WC just might jump-start your efforts. If so, GREAT! If not, just try eating cleanly and see what happens. Start out with Atkins Induction (more limited than Protein Power Intervention) and climb the ladder. I never did this before, but now I see the wisdom of it. There's a reason the ladder is ordered in the way that it is.

Geez, this probably confused you more than anything. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.

Good luck!
  #787   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 14:41

BF:

Has anyone approached the Eades to see whatever happened with the "early adopters"? My feeling is that they didn't get the response to the book that they were hoping for, and kind of dropped the test of the early adopters. There are only two posts on their 6WC blog (http://proteinpower.com/6weekcure/?p=34) and only 35 comments on the two posts combined.

I'd love for someone to ask them, though. And no, I am NOT volunteering!
  #788   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 20:15

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well I'm not asking either. Dr. Mike still probably has it in for me as on his blog he sort of blamed the bad sales of the book here in the US on the less that totally favorable amazon review that was at the top of their listing - which happened to be my review.

But it does make you wonder, since throughout the book they claimed everyone they suggested their plan to did spectacularly well on it.
  #789   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 22:04

BF:

Oh! So it's YOUR fault!

When I was chosen to be one of the earlier adopters, I was in 7th heaven. I thought, "Finally. I'm going to be part of something important, something that will finally work for me." I was filled with high hopes. On the other hand, I can't blame the plan. I was able to lose 12 pounds in the 6 weeks, and had I kept up with an all-meat plan (which is what I'm trying to do now), things might have been different.

Maybe it's us. Maybe we're all just looking for that miracle "cure" (pun intended). Maybe our expectations were too high.

Just sayin'.
  #790   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 03:07
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Maybe it's us. Maybe we're all just looking for that miracle "cure" (pun intended). Maybe our expectations were too high.
I think maybe this is the problem
The problem with the idea of an 6 week cure is that it doesn't allow sufficient time to correct the underlying problems that created the overweight scenario.

I think once the hormonal and mitochondrial dysfunctions that are present and the system is riddled with damage from years of high pro inflammatory cytokines following years of calorie excess it takes longer than 6 weeks to change that pro inflammatory status and restore hormonal and mitochondrial function.

To deal with the inflammation from years of high omega 6 takes around 5 years if you eliminated ALL industrial seed oils like corn, soybean, safflower, sunflower and cottonseed oil while maintaining a high omega 3 status.
Sure you would be able to measure some improvement at the end of 6 weeks but correcting the underlying imbalance in omega 3<> omega 6 takes time. Kids nowadays, even if breastfed, will be starting with milk that is fundamentally more pro inflammatory than breast milk available just 50yrs ago.

Those who have been eating wheat will have had reduced magnesium status since the introduction of modern wheat varieties and a higher inflammatory status as a consequence of the higher gluten content.

And everyone living in or near modern industry, including modern industrial farming, will be subject to the higher ozone levels that occur year on year and which deprive us of Vitamin D creating UVB.

We must recognize our decreased anti inflammatory status and correct that with extra vitamin D3, magnesium and attention to omega 3<>omega 6 ratio as unless those inflammatory driving forces are consistently reduced by diet, the success rate for obese individuals trying to “eat less and exercise more” will remain abysmal.

The only way we have to correct the inevitable mitochondrial dysfunction that results from years of calorie excess, is to ensure we are burning ketones and that means some form of Intermittent fasting is required, (ideally together with the use of coconut oil or MCT) even if it is simply extending the natural fast from evening meal to breakfast.

It's one of the reasons why disturbed sleep is associated with obesity. Correcting melatonin circadian rhythm is a neglected part of most diet plans but if you don't provide the opportunity to create new functional mitochondria you will inevitably have to put up with a poor regulatory mechanism for energy metabolism, body temperature appetite suppression etc.

Anti-Inflammatory Nutrition as a Pharmacological Approach to Treat Obesity

Last edited by Hutchinson : Mon, Oct-18-10 at 03:17.
  #791   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 15:20

BF:

Interesting! Thanks for posting that.
  #792   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 03:23
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Interesting! Thanks for posting that.
Here is some further reading that supports this idea.
Mitochondrial dysfunction in obesity.
Significance and application of melatonin in the regulation of brown adipose tissue metabolism: relation to human obesity.
Cellular bioenergetics as a target for obesity therapy.

Rather than spend time on a treadmill to use up excess calories I prefer to spend longer in bed.
FLUX is a free programme to dim your monitor from dusk to dawn that may help encourage you to go to bed earlier and may improve melatonin secretion.

If that fails you may want to consider
Source Naturals, Melatonin, Timed Release, 3 mg code ~~~~~~ $5 discount for IHERB newbies. Vitacost do a similar timed release 3mg that may work out cheaper if you live in USA and get cheaper shipping than Vitacost charge to UK.

Obviously sleep hygiene helps dark bedroom with no digital displays, curtains closed and no source of light whatsoever. Bright light early morning switches melatonin secretion off and try to get at least an hour of exercise OUTSIDE in bright light during the day to keep circadian rythm in order.

Should also mention that the idea that Fasting and/or Intermittent fasting and/or a ketogenic diet promote mitochondrial biogenesis comes from
Mitochondrial Energetics and Therapeutics

Last edited by Hutchinson : Tue, Oct-19-10 at 03:30.
  #793   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 07:32

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Here is some further reading that supports this idea.
Mitochondrial dysfunction in obesity.
Significance and application of melatonin in the regulation of brown adipose tissue metabolism: relation to human obesity.
Cellular bioenergetics as a target for obesity therapy.

Rather than spend time on a treadmill to use up excess calories I prefer to spend longer in bed.
FLUX is a free programme to dim your monitor from dusk to dawn that may help encourage you to go to bed earlier and may improve melatonin secretion.

If that fails you may want to consider
Source Naturals, Melatonin, Timed Release, 3 mg code ~~~~~~ $5 discount for IHERB newbies. Vitacost do a similar timed release 3mg that may work out cheaper if you live in USA and get cheaper shipping than Vitacost charge to UK.

Obviously sleep hygiene helps dark bedroom with no digital displays, curtains closed and no source of light whatsoever. Bright light early morning switches melatonin secretion off and try to get at least an hour of exercise OUTSIDE in bright light during the day to keep circadian rythm in order.

Should also mention that the idea that Fasting and/or Intermittent fasting and/or a ketogenic diet promote mitochondrial biogenesis comes from
Mitochondrial Energetics and Therapeutics

That's all very interesting. This one in particular: "Significance and application of melatonin in the regulation of brown adipose tissue metabolism: relation to human obesity.". I think it could be a mechanism behind this one. "Insufficient Sleep Undermines Dietary Efforts to Reduce Adiposity"

Patrick
  #794   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 07:42

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

On another forum. There are people who were able to fix themselves by taking T3, I myself am taking T3. It seems that it actually promotes mitochondrial biogenesis.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...dc&searchtype=a
Quote:
Thyroid hormone exerts two types of effect on mitochondria. The first of these is a rapid activation of respiration which takes place within minutes after hormone injection, and is preserved in isolated mitochondria. The second response occurs after 1 to several days of injection and leads to mitochondrial biogenesis and increases in mitochondria mass. The hormone signal for these two responses involves either triiodothyronine (T3)-responsive nuclear genes or a direct action of T3 at mitochondria binding sites.
Patrick
  #795   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 16:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

This is the one that kills me, since my sleep is HORRIBLE and has been most of my life, since I was a teenager at any rate - take hours to get to sleep, toss and turn - finally drop off, but then wake up 2-3 times during the night and toss and turn getting back to sleep then too. Yet I can't *make* myself sleep better! I've tried every natural remedy I have ever read about and now I'm trying accupuncture! So far no results there either.

Yet last week I was up in New Brunswick, Canada for a little over a week, and for whatever reason I slept like a baby just about every single night up there. And I came home 2.5 pounds lighter than when I had gone up, even though I ate like a pig while I was up there, including gorging on cheese every day, since the local store sells a local cheddar made on Prince Edward Island that is my favorite cheese.

Now I'm back home, and tossing and turning every night again, and have gained back 4 pounds this week despite eating "better" than I did in Canada.