Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 16:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270.5/215/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Thumbs up Waffle Buns

I found a recipe called “Basic Burger Bun Recipe”. It was from Sherrie’s Low Carb website.
This recipe calls for cooking the mixture in a waffle iron. She recommends using these as a hamburger bun, you can also cook them in the microwave and make tortillas.

I tried the recipe using the waffle iron. They were quite tasty. I got 10 waffle buns out of a batch and have figured each waffle bun out at 2.8 g carb.

*Preheat the waffle iron

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 cup buttermilk

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients. Spray pan with a light coat of olive oil flavored non-stick spray and pour in pan about 1 to 2 Tbsp of mix. It will make a perfect round bun! You can freeze them and reheat them in the toaster!

I also tried making them as tortillas, but found for me that it came out more crisp after I warmed them up in a pan on the stove. But this was good, like crackers or crisp bread:

Take a big round piece of parchment and spread a very thin layer of the mixture onto the paper and nuke it for 1 –3 minutes.
Take it out and place the paper on a dishtowel since it will be steaming pretty royally! Let it cool completely and then gently take a butter knife and free the edges all the way around and then it will peel right off the paper. It's pretty sturdy after that, I was really surprised! It won't seem like it when you are freeing it from the paper.

You can then lightly toast it in dry pan on the stove on both sides and store them in the fridge. It's really good too when you add some seasonings or just plain.

I made a big batch, will use them as waffles or buns. Looking forward to try eating it as a hamburger bun!! You could season them in different ways to make a dessert type waffle.

http://www.headed-west.com/sherries_recipes.htm
Sponsored Links