Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 14:31

Plan: my own
Stats: 190/180/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Unhappy stalled

I lost 6 pounds fast in the first week on a low-carb diet; however after that I stalled for a few days. During the last few days I have been taking protein bars that advertise on the nutrition label as having only 2 grams carbohydrate. However I used the Hidden Carb Counter on this site; turns out there are 18 hidden carbs for a total of 20 carbs! Well, in a day or two I will know if eliminating these bars from my diet will result in any weight loss. Meanwhile I am still eating cheese just for the variety, but for today I will also not eat the cheese. I am very motivated to lose about 40 pounds of weight!

One thing I have noticed on this diet is that even though I am stalled, I am not actually regaining any of the weight, and that is a big plus. This is the only diet ever (and I have been on a few) where I did not gain weight after losing it.

Hopefully, I will see success soon!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 16:04
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

WELCOME TO THE GROUP
I'm glad I don't like those no carb bars...I've tried 3 and found them all disqusting...
Where is hte hidden carb button....I want to try a few things on there...or is it just a list of items?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 16:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 190/180/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default hidden carbs calculator

http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/hidden_carbs.html

the above url is to the hidden carbs calculator. I hope that you will find it useful
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 16:21

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Flax...
Many have had problems with the bars.... look through the posts and I'm sure you'll find all kinds of stuff about them.

I think on induction its best to stick to "REAL" foods.... meats, salad, veggies, some cheese (most have problems with too much)

I'm sure you'll see progress again by eliminating the bars.

Lots of luck!!
Ellie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 16:21
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Thanks, I'm sure I will...and I'm going to check it out right now. Maybe it will prevent me from making any stalls...I need my wieht loss to be rapid for awhile...I am a slow loser....
good luck on your stall....I think giving up the bars might be your answer...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 21:53

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default Carb Bars--Yuk!

Hi, folks.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, of course, but my experience with low-carb bars (meal replacement or snack-type, didn't matter) was not good.

Not only are they often loaded with the evil Hidden Carbs (lots of times in the form of glycerine, which improves the texture/flavor but doesn't do much else), they also led me to crave *more* carbs--in the form of CHOCOLATE. I used to have a *terrible* time with chocolate cravings, and not only at that TOM either. Once I cut out the bars, the cravings went away. Not immediately, but quickly. I haven't had one in quite a while now, and the last time was actually unplanned--I was out shopping with friends and got caught without any "legal" nibbles on me, so I managed to find a brand of low-carb bar I hadn't tried before. It was PACKED with glycerine. It didn't even taste all that great, but it was better than nothing, even if it did make the rest of the day a little rough.

My two cents' worth: Drop the bars and eat real foods. They're far better or you in the long run.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 07:59

Plan: atkins/x factor
Stats: 157/157/133
BF:
Progress: 0%

thought you'd like to know that my beloved Myoplex Low carb bar(lemon cheesecake flavour according to the bar has 3g carbs and in reality when i checked it out it comes in at 22.73 carbs---i feel totally gutted at how there manufacturers are allowed to print this complete misinformation!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 190/190/145 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info on the low carb bars, and all the other responses. Every so often I would want "candy", so would have some of the bars. I figured that I could have plenty since the carb count on some of them can be "2". But afterward I felt as if I had eaten many more carbs, and had a continued craving for more of the suggary stuff. The post on hidden carbs and glycerine was very useful, and answers my (unasked) question of why they taste as if they are full of carbs.