Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-19, 09:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Attia: Newsletter on Recent Metformin Research

Interesting that as people are first diagnosed with T2 or pre-T2, many are prescribed metformin to initially control blood sugar. It has been considered safe and there are many articles touting its health promoting benefits. That being said, I am one who is suspicious of any prescription that is written for control of a "disease for life," particularly a drug that is characterized as "beneficial." I've had too many acquaintances who have started on metformin, gradually increased the dosage, and ultimately progressed to requiring insulin as they traversed the downward spiral.

Peter Attia's recent newsletter has some interesting findings about metformin and exercise (resistance training (RT)), and surprisingly, metformin has been shown to diminish or blunt the effects of RT compared to RT for control without metformin. This got my attention, as there are pills handed out like candy in a shotgun fashion with the thought that they can't do any harm and may be beneficial. Dangerous assumption here with the most recent findings:

Quote:
"Why is metformin not playing nicely with exercise? I don’t think we have a concrete answer, but I think, as I elaborated on in a previous email on the subject, the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of metformin are disrupting the body’s adaptive response to the pro-inflammatory and reactive oxygen species (ROS)-promoting effects and the biological signals they elicit."

Here's the full article:

https://peterattiamd.com/191013/

As an aside, I wonder how this blunting works with those who are also taking statins? The combination is very common.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-19, 10:10

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

So many people take Metformin that it's important to know what types of effects it can have on developing muscles.

So this applies to developing more muscles but isn't causing muscle wasting, right?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-19, 14:42

BF:

The only thing I can state here, Meme, is that if metformin improved muscle hypertrophy, one could assume that it is protective against muscle wasting. That wasn't the case, but I don't see in the study where they measured anything other than resistance training and the role of metformin. Since it blunted muscle growth or that the muscle growth in those doing RT was less than those doing RT without metformin, one cannot accurately state metformin's role in muscle wasting. That would have to be another study.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-19, 00:48

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I thought Attia agreed with the mass prescription of statins for cholesterol. I'm happy with not taking any pills.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-19, 07:45

BF:

My comment on statins was simply me musing about what a rigorous, well designed study would show for those taking a combination of a statin and metformin. The study cited had nothing to do with statins.

My personal opinion regarding statins and cholesterol is in opposition to Attia's stance on statins and their cholesterol impacting properties. My reason is that since recent findings and history indicate that cholesterol is a weak indicator for CVD or CHD, I no longer care whether a drug with side effects lowers cholesterol including LDL. I strongly believe we're looking in the wrong places for valid cardiac and vascular health markers; therefore, any drugs designed to address these questionable indicators are also questionable and potentially dangerous for some.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-19, 12:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Been digging into Ivor Cummins, and he has come to the same conclusions by studying the studies.
Based on his 2018 book, looks like he thinks keto is the key, not drugs.