Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-19, 17:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Mistletoe? LOL Do tell, what did she do with that?

She mentions the word but not how it is used.

More importantly, she points out the US medical sysyem is 35 years behind the times. Ghe system is broken. Advocate for yourself and how to have your doctor reach her for a consult.

She discourages googling for info. Well for me That is the only way I reachdx this point in understanding cancer and what I can do to beat it before it gets started.

Rather liked her intervew on Diet Doctors. She is not an MD. but has other training of great value.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Dec-07-19 at 16:52.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 05:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Mistletoe: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/i...tletoe-european

There use to be more information on her website and RemissionNutrition and Alison Ganett's site. Now she only does the doctor to doctor consulting, so you might have to use her book. It has ten steps, the dozens of blood tests, GI bacteria tests, repeated over and over through the treatment would cost a fortune. It is hard enough to get someone in cancer treatment to follow a strict LC diet and test glucose/ketones, why I recommend Miriam Kalamian book over hers. But if someone is facing her situation of Stage 4 cancer at 19...then going all in may be doable.
She did a number of interviews around the publication date of the book..might find more in those.

An Email is a thing of great value! X number of people are on my newsletter list The next book will attract a better publisher.

This is an Open Letter to new cancer patients I like: https://www.ketooncologist.com/2017...ter-oncologist/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Dec-07-19 at 06:10.
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 16:59

BF:

More than anything, much of the material learned from other sourcs is reaffirmed, and other bits added.

My fustration renains with mainstream oncologists are in the dark. A study from NIH 2006 publisheed value of fasting during treatment. When my mother was treated for second time at DF, no mention of that enhancing technique.

Im looking to find a high treament facility.... for future use. Othrwise my option is no treatment as I wont have a brain left.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 19:41

BF:

from above link
Quote:
An open letter to my patients
Dear New Patient,
Cancer sucks.You are probably still in disbelief, tired, terrified, and maybe even angry. Thankfully, by the time most of my patients arrive to see me, they are already weeks out from the first news of their diagnosis. Spared of this unpleasant job, your diagnosis nevertheless catapulted you here to meet me, a total stranger.Within the span of less than an hour you will share with me more details than your best friend might ever know in a lifetime. Your gastrointestinal symptoms, your two hundred paged medical file and the details of your social and personal life. I realize that you have placed your trust in my education and literally your life in my hands. In exchange I promise to offer you the latest, most effective treatments for your cancer.

Knowing this, I have a few secrets to share with you.Some of you are still recovering from a badly executed “delivery of THE diagnosis”. I am sorry that it happened that way, and I wished I could have been the one who delivered the news to you. But what is done is done. I can only help by making things smoother and perhaps more hopeful from this day on.
CHEMOTHERAPY: Despite being a Keto Oncologist, I still do believe in chemotherapy.Some patients come to me already skeptical of chemotherapy, because of a relative whom they believed went “downhill” as soon as treatment began. But is it possible that perhaps they went “down hill” not because of the chemotherapy, but rather because the chemo did not work?Chemotherapy can still provide a cure for many cancers, especially the early staged ones and especially in patients who are otherwise in good health. However, the most aggressive treatment may not always be the best for you.If you are too weak or ill, it might be better to start slow and work your way up to more complex regimens . Clinical trials are a way to get to a new treatment before it is FDA approved. FDA stands for the Federal Drug Administration, which approves drugs before they go out to market.
GOOGLING the RESEARCH : I don’t mind if you do some of your own research. In fact it is a sign that you are involved in your care. I’m happy to help you with that too. Googling your research is nice but sometimes is not the best resource since many of the facts could be more than 5 years out of date or worse, flawed. We cancer doctors like to do our research on Pubmed. Sometimes also on Google Scholar. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PubMed. If you are searching for a bonafide clinical trial, try www.clinicaltrials.gov The NIH stands for National Institute of Health. Based in Bethesda, Maryland, this is a federally funded facility where the cutting edge cancer research is being done. You don’t have to be a veteran to avail of the free medical services. Civilians are welcome. If you are accepted into one of their trials, they also pay for travel expenses and maybe a tiny bit for housing. We also have this big organization called ASCO, the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Once a year oncologists from all over the world attend an ASCO meeting in Chicago to exchange ideas and our members include expert oncologists from all over the United States and all over the world. Most of the ideas that come out of this yearly meeting will eventually go into clinical practice.
FINDING SUPPORT : If you have a solid organ type of cancer, it is a good idea to find and join an online support group. https://www.cancer.net/coping-with-...upport-groupsIf you don’t have anyone to talk to , a virtual friend with a similar cancer might actually be an emotional lifesaver.If you have a blood cancer, consider the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. https://tinyurl.com/y6utvpweIf I sent you to see the Palliative Care doctor, this does NOT mean that I am already giving up on you. Although hospice is one of their services, they have other useful things to offer. Counseling, pain management, spiritual support, referral for home nursing services.I do wish that YOU try be part of our team, because you can make a difference!
WHAT TO EAT , or NOT EAT …Other little things that you need to know….Cereal and oatmeal are no longer my idea of the best foods for breakfast. Too much carbohydrates which when eaten, turn into sugar/glucose. Same with the whole grain muffins and brown bread. Evidence is emerging that eating grain based diets have links to increased inflammation which in turn can promote cancer. Swap your rice, pasta and potatoes for spinach, broccoli and cauliflower.Juicing sounds like it’s healthy, but did you know that a glass of orange juice is full of sugar, and low in fiber? If it was shaken in a blender, chances are, it now has very little vitamin C. If you like fruit, I would prefer that you eat the whole fruit itself.Learn to love cheese, and cook omelets with veggies and mushrooms for breakfast. These are low in carbs but high in protein and nutritional value. Eat more green vegetables.Meat is not always bad if you choose well. https://tinyurl.com/y9xj68sySpice up your food with curry, garlic, butter and salt and learn to love seafood.Dairy has lactose which is a form of carbohydrate.Sugar sounds harmless, but it isn’t!
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 19:46

BF:

the rest of the letter

Quote:
Please get rid of your soda habit. It’s not just too much sugar, but has artificial food coloring too. Pass over the candy in the chemotherapy suite. Empty calories indeed! Focus instead on nutrition dense food. When the volunteers bring in the tray of donuts , I hope you’d look the other way. When the nurse offers you ginger ale with your chemo, politely ask for diet soda instead. Better yet, ditch the soda altogether and ask for water instead. I don’t like ingredients that sound like hardware codes. (Red 40, Yellow #6, etc) . Try to eat fresh , unprocessed food….but, if your cancer is already very advanced, I don’t think the price of organic food is worth the benefits. GIVE YOUR THROAT A BREAK : Give up smoking. Or at least try… If you have throat or gut cancer, say goodbye to alcoholic drinks. At least for the next 2-3 years… Did you know alcohol also causes cancer? Despite being common knowledge among doctors, it is virtually an unknown fact amongst the laypeople!LOSING WEIGHT: Exercise more . Lose some weight. Check out this link. https://tinyurl.com/yawlusrjContrary to popular belief, when you have cancer, weight loss can actually be better than weight gain.SLEEP AND EXERCISE: Get more quality sleep and turn down the night lights! https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorde...for-your-health If possible sleep during the dark hours. If you have sleep apnea and own a CPAP (continuous positive pressure ) machine, use it. White noise could help you sleep better, without needing a sleeping pill.Exercise. Even 5 minutes a day is better than nothing. Yoga and relaxation techniques sound harmless and might help reduce your levels of stress hormones.ORGANIZE AND DE-STRESSGet organized. Chemo and radiation schedules can be very confusing. Buy a nice journal and write down every important date and appointment. If you are tech savvy, get a calendar app! Make a living will. If you can, appoint a relative as a POA (power of attorney) in case you later can no longer make your own medical decisions. Reorganize your finances and declutter your possessions. The ultimate goal is to reduce stress. (Again, see above). Listen to some relaxing music. In between chemo sessions, go somewhere far for a mini vacation. If you don’t have any friends, make new ones. Try not to burn your bridges.Rekindle old friendships and reconcile with distanced relatives. There is no such thing as a perfect family. Besides, you might need their bone marrow one day…. 😌 https://tinyurl.com/yb6r7oeeMY PROMISE : I am glad that you took the time to read this open letter. I might not always have twenty minutes to sit down with you and chat, in fact it seems that I am always running off to something else. I will try to invest as much quality time with you as I can find, even if it is only 5 -10 minutes. This is my challenge as much as it is yours, your future success as it will be mine.
Your Oncologist
  #126   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 21:18

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

When our friend was going through Chemo I cooked big pots of whole Organic chicken (then de-boned as it cooked) with organic veggies and rice or egg noodles (because she eats carbs) on the side so she could add some or not. I did this 6 weeks in a row. She said that when she was going through this, it was the only food she could keep down.
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 22:25

BF:

Oh, Meme, you were a WONDERFUL friend. Chicken soup is under utilized! Chicken definitely a go to soup when kids feeling poorly.

Organic chicken is a small fortune.... and well worth it.
  #128   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 22:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Oh, Meme, you were a WONDERFUL friend. Chicken soup is under utilized! Chicken definitely a go to soup when kids feeling poorly.

Organic chicken is a small fortune.... and well worth it.

Yes it sure is expensive, I think I paid about $15 for each chicken but I thought it would be better for her to eat in her condition. Same with the veggies being organic. They say they don't add antibiotics to the regular chickens but you and I know it's in the feed so better not to add that to her body at that time.
  #129   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 10:06

BF:

THAT is terrific price. Here ,when I looked at a darners market, was $23 a bird.

Antibiotics are everywhere. .....

Milk is a oroblem too in the U.S. A surprizing amount in a glass of milk.Then it is concentrated in products like cheeses.

I often wonder if my son is doing better because he has not had a prescription for antibiotics for a couple years now....
Fouund this from a keto oncologist. Ckearly neant as a blog entry and not for real action. Until I realized this, DANDR was a far better choice......in DAnDR just a few pages gives the complete pictre that even a noobie like me could do with success back in the day starting this journey.

I,ll put like here just to poove keto and cancer are now forever linked.

https://www.ketooncologist.com/2019...nts/#comment-36
  #130   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 13:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
THAT is terrific price. Here ,when I looked at a darners market, was $23 a bird.

Antibiotics are everywhere. .....

Milk is a oroblem too in the U.S. A surprizing amount in a glass of milk.Then it is concentrated in products like cheeses.

I often wonder if my son is doing better because he has not had a prescription for antibiotics for a couple years now....
Fouund this from a keto oncologist. Ckearly neant as a blog entry and not for real action. Until I realized this, DANDR was a far better choice......in DAnDR just a few pages gives the complete pictre that even a noobie like me could do with success back in the day starting this journey.

I,ll put like here just to poove keto and cancer are now forever linked.

https://www.ketooncologist.com/2019...nts/#comment-36

Yes, people seem to forget this little tidbit!

Quote:
WHAT ABOUT TOMATOES AND AVOCADOES?

Tomatoes and avocadoes also add up quickly to your carb limit. A medium avocado actually contains around 16 grams of carbohydrates. If you are counting towards a 20-gram daily limit, that will easily kick you out of ketosis. So no, I would not recommend avocadoes for the beginner.

I love this web-site!!!!!
Keep Reading!
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 14:17

BF:

Did you see this in her footnotes?
Ziaei, S., & Halaby, R. (2017). Dietary Isoflavones and Breast Cancer Risk. Medicines (Basel, Switzerland), 4(2), 18. doi:10.3390/medicines4020018

aka non- fermented soy beans
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-19, 15:54

BF:

Avocadoes.... saw somewhere only half a small avocado. I like them but no way is everyday realistic.

Just heard onn news highest alcohol condumption is is among the cancer oatients.

Oncologist told my mother her daily drink is ok. sheeeeesh.

Alcohol of any kind jumps to the front of the line, even ahead of sugar. Most of us that follow keto know alcohol is best avoided.

Is fermented a good thing???? That has been my understanding .
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-19, 17:24

BF:

Soy ferminted is aid not to have that toxin in it???

8g for a (half) 1/2 an Avocado...WOW I guess I forgot that. Glad I don't eat them very often!
  #134   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-19, 17:27

BF:

Fermenting has been used for eons yo make a plant useable.
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 14:44

BF:

Stumbled on this TED TALK. Use food choices as proven in studies to control cancer AND obesity.

See the extensive chart listing a comparative of foods and cancer drugs.....specific veggues wirk better.

https://www.ted.com/talks/william_l..._cancer/up-next