Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 17:28

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I'm in my seventies, and I haven't lost any weight at all this past year - even gained a couple of pounds. I'm not as zealous about low-carbing, or watching calories, as I used to be, so I bring this on myself. Still frustrating, though.

Meg
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:44

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I went back and looked at my profile and the pictures I posted in 2007 when I lost 80 pounds on Protein Power.

Well, I gained back 30 pounds (or 20 as of today).

I have been "playing at" lo-carb all last year - carbs one day, abstinence the next - but got "serious" at the end of November.

For me - "serious" means weighing and measuring everything I eat and entering it into the computer program DietPower. The program graphs my losses and gains so I get a visual reminder of just where I have been and where I need to go.

At 86, everything slows down. But, I am hoping I can stick to it long enough to lose at least 20 pounds. That way I will be just 5 pounds heavier than my 2007 achievement.

My problem this time around is not being able to get enough daily protein. The last time I could eat a 7-8 oz steak - now I can only eat 3-4 oz at a sitting.

Also, as I have aged, I have developed food intolerances I never had before. Last time I ate a lot of Greek salad (sweet peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives) as a low carb choice - now I get severe GI symptoms as well as fluid retention. Thanks to this forum, I find the Greek salad is completely composed of lectins. Sigh. I love that salad!

Palm oil is another no no - creating severe GI symptoms. Even in the small amounts used in many products. Palm oil is ubiquitous.

So, aging is a challenge. No more soup beans - a winter staple. No more grains. No more lectins. Changing tastes in meats.

A journey of self discovery that takes time, patience, headaches, and new skills at handling enablers.
  #243   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 23:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hello Benay,
I read in another thread your need for microwave meals, and then this post gave me an idea that’s been good for my mother (also mid-80s.) I read that whey protein is the easiest for older women to digest, and also easy way to get the extra protein we need post surgery. I’ve been making us whey protein smoothies. There are many brands available, and if you like a sweeter flavour, many are sweetened with stevia. I’ve found a couple of grass-fed whey protein powders, and use with water and a few frozen berries, it is easy and tasty and packs a protein punch.

Works with blender or one of those hand held wands.

If I find that other thread I will post there too. Maybe this would help your protein needs and also easier to make in a small kitchen where it’s hard to stand.
  #244   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 04:42

BF:

Thanks Blue Ruby
Yes I have whey protein in the house for shakes
What I found from being on the Eades\ "Six week cure for the middle aged middle" which focuses on shakes, that not only do I prefer to chew, but I feel more satisfied after chewing a meal than drinking one
That being said, yes a well made whey protein shake is a good way to get more protein.
(Lately, because I am lazy, I have been drinking the ready made protein drinks that say they contain 30 gm of protein and 3 gm of carbs when I feel hungry but don't want to cook)
  #245   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 08:28

BF:

Looking in the mirror, with no clothes on - no one else around - I am appalled at my sagging skin. Mostly, that fatty apron that hangs down from my belly button.

Once, on the Jimmy Moore forum, I asked if anyone else had that fatty apron, and Jimmy said he did too.

One woman shared that she disliked hers so much she want to a plastic surgeon to get rid of it. Now, she says, when she feels an itch, she scratches in the wrong place! All her skin sensors shifted.

I seriously doubt, that at my age and general level of decay, I will lose my fatty apron, even when I am at goal weight.
  #246   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 04:50

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 145/145/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

I am but i'm a newbie...I guess they're all younger here
  #247   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 07:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Looking in the mirror, with no clothes on - no one else around - I am appalled at my sagging skin. Mostly, that fatty apron that hangs down from my belly button.

Once, on the Jimmy Moore forum, I asked if anyone else had that fatty apron, and Jimmy said he did too.

One woman shared that she disliked hers so much she want to a plastic surgeon to get rid of it. Now, she says, when she feels an itch, she scratches in the wrong place! All her skin sensors shifted.

I seriously doubt, that at my age and general level of decay, I will lose my fatty apron, even when I am at goal weight.

check into fasting.Read Dr Fungs work. He is the only resource that I know of that addresses loose skin.

I hate the apron tooo. Its annoying. And yes surgery is an option.