Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 08:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ummm, my impression was its for three days, not all the time.

If we look at the omega3: omega 6 ratios, we have thru our entire diet ramped up the omega 6's to a super high abnormal level. High proportions of omega 6's are in grain oils and in grain fed/finished meats.

IMHO perhaps three days of salmon changes the ratios back to 1:4 is beneficial.

Of course that ratio can be thrown out if mayonaise or other grain oil is used to prep the meal.

And the collagens in fish maybe more benificial with skin on, or in the case of canned where the edible bones also supports our skin and cinnective tissue.

Picked uo a boneless fillet for $10, 4 servings. Next visit, I'll be sure to ask for a whole fish.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 10:40

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Did I read that olive oil is high in omega 6 or am I imagining that?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 12:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

This muddies the water....

Quote:
Almost 70% of avocado oil consists of heart-healthy oleic acid, a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid (2). ... While avocado oil has a high omega-6 to omega-3 ratio (13:1), this shouldn't be of concern as the total amount of omega-6 is relatively low.Apr 6, 2016
https://www.healthline.com › nutrition
9 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Avocado Oil - Healthline

Imo, this is why choosing grassfed beef is a goid thing: its fat content far outweighs other sources of o.ega 6's.

ps, Im not saying omega 6 is bad, its the ratio in the diet, from what Ive read. Went fown the rabbit hole a couple years ago. And we humans dont have enough microbes to make butyric acid like dairy cattle can snd then put into their butter and cream.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 13:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just adore bacon fat and use it almost exclusively now because it's here from cooking bacon daily. It makes everything taste amazing like a mediocre steak turns fabulous with flavor.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 17:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Bacon or pork fat is great for cooking, as is butter or coconut oil for certain dishes.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 07:14
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

On the subject of fats:
Quote:
Hydrogenation of organic substances was first developed by the French chemist Paul Sabatier in 1897, and in 1901 the German chemist Wilhelm Normann developed the hydrogenation of fats, which he patented in 1902. In 1907, a German chemist, Edwin Cuno Kayser, moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, the home town of soap manufacturer Procter & Gamble. He had worked for British soap manufacturer Joseph Crosfield and Sons and was well acquainted with Normann's process, as Crosfield and Sons owned the British rights to Normann's patent. Soon after arriving, Kayser made a business deal with Procter & Gamble, and presented the company with two processes to hydrogenate cottonseed oil, with the intent of creating a raw material for soap. Since the product looked like lard, Procter & Gamble instead began selling it as a vegetable fat for cooking purposes in June 1911, calling it "Crisco", a modification of the phrase "crystallized cottonseed oil".
When I entered Baking School, I was shocked to find that we were expected to use flaked crisco in all our pastries and "buttercream" frosting. It certainly takes the edge off enjoyment not to mention adding poison to an already deadly combination of ingredients. Lard really makes the flakiest pastry, but the diet police have made it practically illegal.

I don't know which fats are best for us health-wise, just that they add flavor to our existence and keep our bodies well-lubed. I keep butter, ghee, bacon fat, coconut oil and avocado oil in the house. Like everybody, I LOVE bacon and bacon grease, but sometimes worry about the additives so I don't use it every day.

Back to the subject of salmon. LOL (I tend to stray from the subject.) I found a can in my cupboard yesterday and ate it instead of my usual mackerel. It had almost no flavor at all. Guess I'll stick with mackerel for a while.