Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-19, 17:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Choose Foods, Not Supplements

Choose Foods, Not Supplements

Dietary supplements do not help you live longer, and in large quantities may be harmful.
Nicholas Bakalar

By Nicholas Bakalar

April 8, 2019

Taking dietary supplements will not extend life, researchers report, and taken in large quantities may even be harmful.

In a study in the Annals of Internal Medicine, scientists gathered dietary information in repeated in-person interviews with almost 31,000 men and women 20 and older.

They also collected data on supplements used over the previous 30 days, including type, dosage and frequency of use. Slightly more than half the participants took supplements, and about a third took multivitamins.

Over six years, there were 3,613 deaths, including 945 from cardiovascular disease and 805 from cancer. Over all, after adjustment for other health and behavioral characteristics, they found that using any dietary supplements had no effect on mortality. Adequate intakes of vitamins A and K, magnesium, zinc and copper were associated with reductions in all-cause mortality, but only when the substances came from food, not supplements.

Taking 1,000 or more milligrams of calcium a day was associated with an increased risk for death from cancer, and vitamin D supplements in doses above 400 IU a day were associated with increased cancer death and death from any cause.

“Dietary supplements are not a substitute for a healthy balanced diet,” said the senior author, Dr. Fang Fang Zhang, an associate professor of epidemiology at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University. “We should aim for adequate nutrition through diet rather than counting on supplements.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/...upplements.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-19, 22:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Totally agree basic nutrition should come from real food. Supplements fill in the blanks and low areas.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 10:06

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1

and vitamin D supplements in doses above 400 IU a day were associated with increased cancer death and death from any cause.

That doesn't seem to pass the sniff test. I'm tempted to dig into that, but don't have the time.

Might some of this be the "ill user effect"? People with health issues tend to be more likely to search for answers and try supplements???
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 11:21

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Sounds like someone with an agenda to me.

I feel with modern farming methods it's impossible to get all the nutrients you need from your food. Corporate farming is about feeding the plants what they need for a bigger harvest, not what humans who eat the plants need.

So I think supplementing along with nutritious food is a good idea.

I've been doing this for years, and haven't called in sick to work since 1965, and I'm on zero medications. I can't even remember the last time I caught a cold, and the last time I had my heart/circulation tested they told me it was of a person who is 20 years younger than myself.

And I've been on Keto since they called it Atkins Induction plus supplements minus junk food.

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 11:24

BF:

One thing that always enters my mind about supplements is not only that it is not the natural form of the vitamin like with vitamin C but also where are these chemicals sourced from.
For instance I ordered Great Lakes Cologne. I thought it was from the US because of the name. After searching the bag for the source and it was not listed so I called the company I bought it from, I-Herb and they said it was from Brazil. That was right at the time the Olympics were going on there and after seeing the horrible pollution with raw sewage in the bay and sewage running raw in ditches. Then other articles/reports said there is no clean water because of the contamination. I threw it in the trash.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Apr-10-19 at 12:35.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 11:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRuth
That doesn't seem to pass the sniff test. I'm tempted to dig into that, but don't have the time.

Might some of this be the "ill user effect"? People with health issues tend to be more likely to search for answers and try supplements???

Ya I take far more D than that to PREVENT cancer, and feel much better on 10,000 units thru the New England winter. Z has a thread on Vitamin D.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 12:47

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
One thing that always enters my mind about supplements is not only that it is not the natural form of the vitamin like with vitamin C but also where are these chemicals sourced from.
For instance I ordered Great Lakes Cologne. I thought it was from the US because of the name. After searching the bag for the source and it was not listed so I called the company I bought it from, I-Herb and they said it was from Brazil. That was right at the time the Olympics were going on there and after seeing the horrible pollution with raw sewage in the bay and sewage running raw in ditches. Then other articles/reports said there is no clean water because of the contamination. I threw it in the trash.

IMO (and I'm no nutritionist) if the synthetic vitamin is molecularly identical to their natural counterpart, it's OK with me.

I've read articles on both sides of the fence. Here is an example:
https://www.smartypantsvitamins.com...al-vs-synthetic
You just have to pick what you believe. There is so much written with an agenda out there.

I am careful about the brands that I purchase though. Especially because of the capsule and other ingredients might make a difference.

As far as cologne is concerned. Neither my wife nor I put any artificial perfumes or colognes on. We keep clean and don't need it (actually I like her very slight, gentle, natural aroma). I'd be more concerned about the chemicals put into the colognes and perfumes than the vitamins. But that's just me.

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 13:14

BF:

I think that supplementing is great but we can't live on pills and powders alone in place of nutrients in food.

But, I have also been noticing that many of the chemicals in vitamins are sold in bulk on the internet from many countries with no quality control, clean water or sewage treatment.