Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:31
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%
Default cheats are disappointing

I've been following Atkin's for four months now, and rarely cheat. I have noticed tho, that the cheats are rather disappointing. The cookies don't taste the same, etc.
I work in a nursing home and one of my favorites died last night. We decided to have a cheesecake salute to the old guy as it was his favorite treat and we had bought them for him on several occassions. I had a small piece and wasn't happy with it-too sweet-and it was a Sara Lee, my old favorite. At least I didn't fall out of ketosis. I doubt I'll cheat much in the future. Cookies and cakes were my downfall before and I've lost taste for them. I don't see potatoes living up to memory either come the holidays.
This week I find myself suddenly sensitive to the taste of salt. The grilled chicken on my salad at McD's is salty today, nuts are too salty, etc. These are things I felt tasted fine just a short while ago.
Anyone else find their tastes changing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:35
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yes! That slice of pizza I just can't resist is NEVER as good as I thought it would be. Since I realized that nothing is THAT good, it's been much easier for me to resist high-carb foods.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:36

Stats: 195/180/165 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have no taste for anything sweetened with refined sugars. It's gross to me. Your body has adapted, and now that you have tasted the cheesecake, you know what it is, and are less likely to stray. Plus, I don't know your supplement regimen, but if you have the L glute, or L carnitine, that is helping reduce sugar cravings.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Neener:
I have the same phenomena. I went to Boston Chicken and my FAVORITE thing was the cornbread muffin. I've given up trying to make the Mexican girls understand that I don't want the muffin with my meal (not that I am tempted to eat it but that I feel wasteful throwing it away) so I just let them put it on my plate. This time I decided to take a *pinch* of it and either they have changed the recipe to make it the most foul tasting thing on this planet or I have lost my taste for it

Last month, I would go to our favorite chinese restaurant and think *I'm full but it wasn't satisfying* because I know I didn't have any sugar or starches. Now I go there and WOW, it is great and I'm fine with it.

I tell those starting on Atkins that first you will physically lose your desire and taste for sweets and bready carbs and then you have to stick with it because mentally the habits will take another 2 weeks to fall in line with it too Just feeling in control of my meals makes me confident that I will eventually lose all the weight I want and be able to keep it there. Even when I'm not in ketosis I'm in control - what a change!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:43
Whoosh me baby!

I am terrible about supplements. I take a megavite a few times a week and that's about it. I don't have many cravings anymore-and have gotten used to just enjoying the smells of goodies rather than eating them. People at work look at me funny when I just "inhale" rather than eat their offerings.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:02
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I, too, have found things too salty at times...things I would've never reacted to that way before.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:22

Stats: 296/268.5/200 Male 71.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have noticed something similar to this myself. A week ago or so I tried a bite of potatoes that came with my breakfast (steak and eggs mmmm). I grew up on the whole meat and potatoes thing being from a farming community. And to my surprise the potatoes tasted bland and unappealing to me. I had a bite of cookie last weekend also and found that it did not taste that good either which made it really easy for me to stop eating it. Though I must say I found it very hard to resist the Krispy Kream donuts the guys brought into work today…. But some how I kept myself from eating them.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:22

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

hey! _Neener

Yep, I am happy to say that my sweet cravings are almost nil really since lo-carbing. When I do make my own treats, I'm typically adding less sweetener than called for in the recipe, and it tastes fine to me, but to friends who are accustomed to sugar, they say they aren't sweet enough!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:27

Stats: 243/187/145 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I have heard that this happens. I guess you just loose a taste for it. Especially sweet things...I haven't really tried anything other than a couple alcoholic beverages w/ fruit juice. But I found them to be very sweet also.

I also think it's good that our tastes are changing...I think that means it's more likely that we won't go back to old eating habits.

Congrats on your success...keep up the good work!

~Amy
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:30

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

At the four- week mark of being on this WOE, my hubby and I went out to dinner with some friends, one of whom was celebrating a birthday. For some reason we decided to cheat for the one meal (first time in 4 weeks).

I started with some nachos shared with the table, had some bread dipped in oil, and then ordered a chicken foccacia sandwich with fries . The nachos and bread tasted really good but the focaccia sandwich was awful- dry and bland. I only ate about half of it and half the fries.

Although the food was really bad, I was happy because the experience left me with no more desire to cheat (hadn't really wanted to in the first place, sucumbed to social pressure).
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:44

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I was craving a drink of lager last week and took a sip of some and YUCK I thought it was off but everyone else said it was just fine.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

thats odd because when i fell of the atkins wagon and cheated i started with a custard tart and then i couldn't stop! the amount of food i ate that day could've feed 1000 starving children. i went off the diet for a year because i couldn't imagine giving up my beloved carbs again.....however, here i am back on the atkins, it the only way
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:28

Plan: Dukan & Running
Stats: 195.2/155.4/155 Female 5'9.5"
BF:Jigglin'/less/firm
Progress: 99%

My parents took me out to a really posh Italian restaurant last week, and I cheated and had my old favourite, fettucine carbonara....first pasta in 8 months! I could only eat half, and fortunately it didn't really effect my usual routine. It tasted great! But I don't even want to do it again. I'll take steak tips and brocolli!! It's those LC candy bars that give me a problem- I feel like I'm cheating because I eat so many of them-4 or 5 a week! Is that really harmful? 'Cos my weight loss has slowed a bit since I got hooked on them.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 11:39
Whoosh me baby!

stashyc-
I stopped the Russell Stovers when I went on my fat fast and haven't had one since. My weight has gone down from 216 to 210 in three weeks and I'm sure the fast jump started me, but I was eating around 2-3 candies per day and had been stalled for four weeks. It could have been a coincidence, but I'm not eager to go there again.