Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 21:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Myriad Genetics Says Finds Obesity Gene

From http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business...021029_498.html

----

Oct. 29
— By Toni Clarke

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Myriad Genetics Inc. said it has discovered a gene that appears directly linked with human obesity and said its structure was such that it could be relatively easy to develop drugs to combat the condition.

The biotechnology company, based in Salt Lake City, said the gene, HOB1, also appears to provide an important molecular link between obesity and diabetes.

The discovery may be more meaningful than the discovery of some other genes found to be linked to obesity because the company discovered it by tracing its prevalence in a tightly knit human population rather than through animal studies, which often have no clinical relevance in humans.

Myriad did genetic studies on hundreds of families in Utah, a state with a relatively homogeneous population, and compared the DNA of people within a family who were obese with those who weren't. Many Utah families have lived in the region for generations, making it easier for researchers to look for commonalties between those with the mutated gene.

What is not yet clear is what percentage of people with the HOB1 gene actually become obese, though it may be high.

Myriad used the same type of population studies in recent years to find two gene mutations that are associated with breast and ovarian cancer. While it is proving difficult to develop drugs against these targets, BRCA1 and BRCA2, the discovery is helpful as a diagnostic tool. When these genes are damaged, the person affected has a high risk of breast or ovarian cancer.

The company said that unlike the BRCA genes, the structure of the mutated obesity gene makes it amenable to being attacked with a small molecule drug, which means a pill rather than an injection. It may also be easier to develop drugs to compensate for the genetic mutation because the gene is too active rather than not active enough.

Still, the discovery is only the first step in tracing the relationship between the gene and obesity. While the company has established that the gene causes too much of a certain protein to be produced, it doesn't yet know what the protein actually does.

"A substantial amount of work needs to be done before we understand the biology behind the association between obesity and the gene mutation," said William Hockett, a Myriad spokesman.

"It's at a very early stage and will require clinical trials. Myriad's role may be just to create a drug and show efficacy and then partner it with a large drug company," he said.

Myriad's shares rose 96 cents, or 6 percent, to $17.94 on Nasdaq.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 23:35
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
"A substantial amount of work needs to be done before we understand the biology behind the association between obesity and the gene mutation," said William Hockett, a Myriad spokesman.

"It's at a very early stage and will require clinical trials. Myriad's role may be just to create a drug and show efficacy and then partner it with a large drug company," he said.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

I am so sick and tired of drugs! It's so frustrating to see yet another company that is going to get psychotically rich by slapping a band-aid on the problem. It's not surprising, though. There's very little profit motive in advising people to eat good, wholesome food. When's the last time you saw an ad for asparagus?

Yours in frustration
digwig
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 01:21
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Unhappy test subjects~

My hubby was talking about this last night, and said that he would volunteer to be a test subject for it~ *sigh* First, if any such pill could be fashioned~ then there is the potential side effects and risks... there ALWAYS are with man-made chemicals. WHat about perserverance and hard work? Will you get that in a pill? It is again the "magic genie in a bottle"... sad to say, there are truly no such things,... and even though the way I AM choosing to take off my excess weight is slow, when I REACH my goal... I can truly say I earned it!