Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-23, 09:59

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 173/165/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Do eggs make you feel nauseous?

Obviously eggs are a staple, great macros and super versatile.
I have eaten eggs almost everyday for the last I don't even know how many years.

The problem is, they make me nauseous.
I have never been actually sick from eggs, nothing bad ever happened, but if I eat more than 2 eggs at a time I feel like vomiting. The feeling lasts for about an hour after eating and I just can't focus 100% during this time while my stomach is this 'wierd'.
I tried seeing if the way they are cooked, the temperature and everything else affects this feeling. And I found, unfortunately, that bread helps. I know this is a big nono, but I just had to experiment.
Fresh vegetables kind of help, tomatoes or cucumbers, but not quite like bread, they just don't have that 'saturation', this is the word that best fits the description in my mind to help with the egg nausea.
I searched the internet for a bit, this might be an allergic reaction to eggs. But I did get tested for allergies and this is not the case.

I am wondering if anyone else feels the same and if you have found some solutions to this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-23, 11:38

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Eggs make me nauseous. My solution is that I don’t eat them. I haven’t eaten them for years.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-23, 13:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I cant eat a lot of eggs, Ive tried. They are self limiting, fir me. I cook up 7,8,9 fried eggs, and can only eat half. Mind boggling because I can suck down 1 1/2# steak.

Trying to remember how they make me feel. Not nauseous, but to eat more......oh no, no way.

( My eggs are hen fresh.....direct from my girls.)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-23, 01:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I convinced a friend to go low carb and she started having a "pressure" in her chest, some nausea….she had become intolerant to eggs eating 3 a day. Curing it was a matter of limiting the number. Only 1 or 2 , 2 or 3 days a week, or mixed in other foods. Egg intolerance is not like an egg allergy.

I mix two whole eggs with egg whites from the carton. Not because I would get nauseous but because I eat a higher protein lower fat diet. The two yolks have great nutrients and the whites lots of protein.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jul-06-23 at 02:11.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-23, 03:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can't say they actually make me nauseous, but 2 is usually my limit. I can eat 3 if I'm really hungry. 4-5 in a restaurant omellet?! No way. Doggy bag.

You can always be creative with incorporating them into other meals. Boiled egg on a salad, make a quiche or frittata that you can eat over the course of a week, some of the baked goods or treat recipes here... I like the boiled egg pudding from Maria Emmeritch. Her then-baby son would NOT eat eggs, so she came up with this.

I absolutely love egg breakfast sandwiches, so much that I bought a couple of cute little silicone egg cooking rings. My usual bread substitute is a high-protein, gluten-free chaffle. You can buy or make decent substitutes to regular bread.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Jul-06-23 at 03:24.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-23, 05:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It does sound like an egg intolerance. Which I understand many people get around when they reconsider their egg buying sources. Others find that switching from over-easy to hard-boiled fixes their issues. Some separate the two, and test. It might be the whites or the yolks, two very different foods.

Several years ago I bought eggs at the health food store from local farmers as we looked for ways to eat healthfully. We noticed an astounding difference in the taste. "This was what eggs tasted like when we were kids!" I spent summers with grandparents on the farm with fresh eggs from chickens who ate everything from watermelon rinds to bugs. So there was no going back.

Similarly, I got help with healing the last few years with whey protein shakes, but started having issues, which made me wonder about the goo at the bottom of my hot chocolate versions. I realized I was precipitating out some of the fillers in the mixes, and how much was filler. It also led to a plumbers visit when the drain got clogged with this same sludge. If the house pipes can't take it, I sure can't.

I still rely on protein shakes, but I make my own with Naked Whey. I've come to realize even foods touted as "healthy" is just marketing, which now drenches our science and entertainment, too. (Stay in your lane, marketing! You are part of the problem.) Spinach is a "superfood" but it's loaded with oxalates. And all this anti-oxidant talk is still just talk... it's petri dish science without support, still. I looked.

Like Ms Arielle, I also "hit a wall" with eggs, but it's made of satiation. My current fave is 2 eggs and 4 ounces of cream cheese, but I am a fat BURNER. Maybe don't try this at home? (By this time, I'm a professional. No matter what stage I've been, I try to cut down on my fat, and my body cries and gets hungry. )

I would say that even the FOOD itself might be the issue, with meat injected with "UP TO 20%" of something, produce grabbed while green when the anti-nutrient content is at its height, and eggs from chickens who don't get their species specific diet or anything else.

We must always consider the source. My own sensitivities increased over the years, and now research indicates this is about intestinal permeability, aka "leaky gut." If we can heal that, we might become less sensitive.

So the obverse might be worth a try. It might not be the eggs. These days, I'm more likely to think it's something about the eggs.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-23, 07:37

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 173/165/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the replies.

I will try experimenting some more. I think my stomach will feel more comfortable with just the whites, maybe 1 yolk.
I will also try to eat fresh, natural straight from the source eggs, see if it makes any difference.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-23, 13:53

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

They only make me nauseous if I eat too many. 1 or 2 is my limit.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-23, 17:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Update. Recently, I feel nauseated after eating eggs. For just a couple hours. Mild but distracting.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-23, 02:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Arielle, It is possible to create a nutrient dense carnivore diet, https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485617
Eating six eggs, 4oz prosciutto and a pound of bacon in one meal may make you nauseous.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-19-23 at 03:44.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-23, 03:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

On the other hand, what used to make me shy of carnivore was how HUNGRY I got, which was a sign to back off because of blood sugar when I was getting too many carbs from an unknown source.

But the hungry on carnivore was healing. I ate two pounds of hamburger a day for a while, and it did me nothing but good. So it's a big reset.

And yes, I did NOT eat it all at once! I find this fatty meat so satiating, now with sour cream horseradish sauce, that I cannot eat the same amount of brisket. (Thank goodness, it's much more expensive.) But one roast can last two people three days.