Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 16:23

Plan: Modified Schwarzbein
Stats: 239/221/185 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Any endurance athletes???

Just got a great Father's Day gift -- the Schwarzbein cookbook. OK, I'm addicted to this WOE.

Question -- I am finally getting injury-free and ready to get back to training for triathlons. I have a short race (approximately 1 hour, 30 minutes) in October and maybe one in November. Then I plan on doing a 5K in December and a 1/2 Marathon in January.

Well, here's the question -- how do I modify the Schwarzbein WOE to incorporate training and racing? I know of some triathletes who follow the Paleo diet, but add in "processed" foods (bars and drinks) during long training sessions and races.

If anyone had input, I would appreciate it....

Ken
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 15:57

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Ken,
Welcome to Schwarzbein, I think you will be pleased with the program. It certainly has worked for me. I started last year and followed the program until the winterl when I relaped into my old ways. I got back with it in May and the results have been good so far.
Last year I ran a 100 miler in May (I wrote a report it was in success stories) and in July I fastpacked the John Muir Trail all while following SPI (Schwarzbein Principle I). Her program also helped me recover from a burn out later in the fall. Hubby involved in a serious accident, training, work, life, etc.
I have been recovering from surgery in Jan and just got back into serious training in late April. I ran 34 miles of a 50 miler in May and I just finished a trail 50K two weeks ago (Report in General Exercise Section). I'm now focusing on my fastpack in July with a 24 hour event in Nov and a 72 hour event in Dec.
Weight training combined with SPII has been a blessing. I follow her program and I just up my carbs as I need to then I revert right back to her schedule. I eat about 90 carbs a day and up that on my long training days. I do increase the carbs prior to a longer race (I didn't for the 50 and I suffered). During my longer runs (greater than 2 hours) I eat 200 calories per hour using Cliff Shot, Hammer Gel and Sustained Energy. I also use ZOne bars as I need the fat along with the carbs.
THis has worked for me, I've never felt better. You may wish to look at the posts in the GEneral Exercise section. We have one other ultra runner and ultra cyclists who have done very well in training and in events. Good luck to you!
Maureen