Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 02:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The vegan craze is a self-serving corporate con

The vegan craze is a self-serving corporate con

Jamie Blackett

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-corporate-con/

Quote:
While multinational companies make a fortune from meat-free products, livestock farmers are struggling

Spare a thought for our livestock farmers. Just as midwinter is bleakest (in the UK), when keeping animals alive can be a bare-knuckle fight against the weather, along comes the sanctimonious nonsense of “Veganuary”.

This assault on our livelihoods will have extra menace this year now that we know we are up against not just the usual suspects – Saint Greta, Chris Packham and all those anaemic-looking millennials – but the financial firepower of global agribusiness as well.

Veganism is the best thing that ever happened to the processed food industry and giants like Nestlé have generated huge margins from turning cheap vegetable oils, sugars and carbohydrates into fake meats and milk. Worryingly, it shows little sign of abating. Research released this week has shown a troubling decline in UK demand for beef and pork.

“Woke consumerism” probably started in university common rooms and student bars but its popularity has been very deliberately fuelled by the multinational conglomerates that control global food supplies. They see it as a way of shifting power from small, privately owned farms in the livestock sector to giant corporate food producers on arable prairies and in biotech labs.

The Monbiotists and the Packhamites still bear a grudge against farmers for the Enclosure Acts and think they are furthering the long march of the Left by espousing veganism. Yet the reality is that all these people are being gamed by the wickedest capitalists of them all.

The Left hate to be told this, as you can tell from the lurid reaction online whenever the issue is discussed. But you only need to follow the money to see the fingerprints of companies like Monsanto all over the promotion of science that suits their agenda, such as the controversial EAT-Lancet report on diet that recommended a 50 per cent reduction in the consumption of red meat.

The efforts of these global giants will secure far more column inches and radio minutes this January than puny meat industry bodies like the NFU can manage in response, and we will all be sold recipes that use the ingredients that they want us to buy. The nutritionists who warn against the dangers of giving up meat and dairy will be quietly sidelined.

We should be able to rely on our licence-fee-funded state broadcaster for some balance, but the BBC’s egregious institutional bias was revealed in November’s Panorama programme, Meat: A Threat to our Planet? Presenter Liz Bonnin travelled the globe (in a plane, presumably) to showcase the most polluting livestock farms before visiting an agri-tech laboratory in Silicon Valley that grows “meat” in Petri dishes.

Social media later revealed that a segment on the type of pasture-fed beef system we have in this country (UK) – which demonstrated the virtuous cycle of methane being reabsorbed by grass and explained how grazing herbivores are actually part of the solution to climate change – had been cut from the programme. The clear message was: give up meat.

I am fortunate that I can and do grow “plant-based foods” as well as beef on my farm, so I see both sides of the argument and I am bemused by the vegan agenda.

If I chose I could plough up all our grass to grow oats to turn into ersatz milk, for example. That I don’t is partly out of concern for the environment.

Put simply, livestock farming increases topsoil and therefore takes carbon out of the atmosphere. Arable farming does the opposite. When environmentalists bleat about there being only 100 harvests left on the planet, they are failing to understand the crucial role of livestock manure in restoring soils.

We can grow grass here better than probably anywhere else. And we can do it without needing the chemical sprays or artificial fertilisers that create nitrous oxide, a far more damaging greenhouse gas in the long term than methane.

So why is it that when cows turn grass into instantly digestible meat and milk the methane temporarily created is demonised, yet when soya is industrially processed into “meat” and “milk” we ignore the permanent greenhouse gases released in growing and processing it?

Could it possibly be because Monsanto and the others want us to think that way?

Last edited by Demi : Fri, Jan-03-20 at 02:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 06:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good message and we'll reasoned. More nose to tail approaches are required. I might even prepare a plant-based side dish to accompany my delicious animal protein. Sometimes . . .
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 09:05

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

This is what I keep telling people when they complain about meat being bad for the environment! I need some university studies to point to. Where is that group of ranchers that sued Oprah a few years back? I think they should get on funding some university studies.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 09:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I tend to stop people in their tracks by saying, "Then why didn't we have climate change over the last several thousand years, when buffalo covered North America? I'm sure they farted a lot."
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 10:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Too many people are ignorant....and easily led by the nose.

On youtube there are several great videos on restoring the land by grazing. Grazing the old way, section by section. The grasses regenerate, the soils stop washing away. The cycle is restored.

The ruminants are the ones designed to eat the grasses and grains, not us. We are designed to eat the ruminants not the grasses and grains.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 11:45

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Cattle raisers must unite and form associations to fight these big conglomerates like Monsanto. Here is Texas we have the Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers Association.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 09:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Good message and we'll reasoned. More nose to tail approaches are required. I might even prepare a plant-based side dish to accompany my delicious animal protein. Sometimes . . .

I eat at least 1 serving (sometimes 2) of plants each day, but I also eat at least 3 servings of animal products - meat, fish, or eggs. When the plant-based diet people talk about their diet, they tend to use the phrase "balanced diet" a lot - but then they leave out everything that relates to meat.

We had some long-time vegetarian friends who kept a cow for fresh milk & homemade cheese - the mom said that some sort of animal protein was necessary for good health. And man, were they ever healthy!

I'm glad they've come up with low carb, plant-based liquids that mimic milk for those of us who don't do well with dairy, but I don't want to give up my meat.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 06:06

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Another article today from Jamie Blackett.

Some context, this programme is part of the anti-meat, pro-vegan 'propaganda' we are currently being bombarded with in the UK

Quote:
Don’t believe misanthrope George Monbiot’s anti-meat propaganda

It’s hard to square Channel 4’s public interest remit with the post-truth propaganda it puts out

The Campaign for Random Accusations against Pastoralists (there is an acronym if you find this too much of a mouthful) reached its apotheosis this week with the airing of Channel 4’s documentary Apocalypse Cow: a whole hour of prime time vegan proselytising as veteran Leftie George Monbiot prophesied – with no small amount of personal delight – the end of farming.

Extinction Rebellion commissar Monbiot’s motivation for making the programme is plain to see. He has a weirdly misanthropic obsession with closing down farming and re-wilding the countryside which, ironically, is built on the Marxist view that capitalism is fundamentally at odds with the goal of sustainability. Yet beneath the sonorous platitudes and pseudo-Leninist posters, I couldn’t help thinking that it was more about profits than prophets. Channel Four is alleged to have signed a seven figure equity deal with The Meatless Farm Company in return for promoting their products – on top of all their other advertising revenues from Big Vegan. Follow the money.

The programme’s thesis was based on several big lies. The main one – the grossly false assertion that 4kg of beef is as bad as a flight to New York and back – concerns methane output from livestock farming. Methane was vilified as a greenhouse gas but its contribution to global warming has recently been dramatically downgraded by mainstream science as it has finally been acknowledged that it is reabsorbed into the soil through plants as part of the carbon cycle and does not remain in the atmosphere forever.

Some regenerative grazing systems have actually been shown to be carbon negative and processed vegetables have a higher footprint than grass-fed meat.

Another accusation was about health. A throwaway remark blamed saturated fats from animals for causing cancer and obesity – yet plenty of nutritionists will tell you that carbs and sugar are the real baddies.

The answer, according to this starry-eyed techno-optimist, is to grow electric protein from bacteria and hydrogen in factories “literally out of thin air”. But how are future humans are going to get their daily intake of iron, zinc and other minerals if their food has had no connection with the soil? How can we be sure these Frankenstein foods will be safe to eat? Even if they are proved safe, will anybody want to buy them?

Poor George is becoming like one of those deranged Bond baddies with a power lust for seizing the global food monopoly. It might all be funny if it wasn’t so deadly serious. Farmer suicides are at an all-time high and there are some very vulnerable families worried sick by the constant attacks on their livelihoods.

It’s about time Ofcom took a serious look at Channel 4. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to square the channel’s public interest remit with the post-truth propaganda it puts out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...eat-propaganda/
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 08:44

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

I got sick on a vegan diet. Many people can't absorb minerals and iron from plants. I hope my body recovers quickly.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 11:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

yup, absorption rate is VERY important. Doesnt matter how high is the level of the nutrient if the body cannot use it.