Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-19, 08:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Chocolate cookies are like cocaine

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-19, 09:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yes it does! During my carb addicted days, the chocolate chip cookie was one of my go tos; although, I was particular, as they had to be large and taste homemade. It was easy to source these things, too easy!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-19, 11:38

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Chocolate cookies are not like cocaine. The cookies taste better!

<wink / grin>

(Sugar like cocaine is definitely addictive.)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-19, 12:14

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Long long ago in what now seems like some other life time one of my go to lunches was a fresh mozzarella sandwich, an Orangina and a large homemade chocolate chip cookie from a great sandwich shop located at the back of a small convenience store. In that one meal I would ingest significantly more sugar than I now do in an entire year.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-19, 14:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

lol, Im no longer responsible for my choc chip cookie binges!!!!

Years ago, back in early 80's, I devoured with great pleasure a box of Entimennes choc chip cookies and a quart of whole milk. Oh so good!!!

Ah.....long ago memories......
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 07:03

BF:

https://www3.netrition.com/dixie_rte_cookies.html

1 carb for 2 cookies and the chocolate chip ones taste quite good.

C12H22O11 (sucrose)

C17H21NO4 (cocaine)

Similar ingredients???

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 08:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Happy to state that even the low carb versions of chocolate chip cookies would not do it for me. I no longer desire sweet anything, including anything with low carb sweeteners. In fact, I no longer like sweet tastes. One of the many benefits of total sugar elimination and strict carb restriction is the disappearing of previous cravings for certain foods. The addiction tendencies are gone.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 09:05

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

If you think chocolate chip cookies are as addictive as cocaine...

I should be ashamed of myself for making this for Christmas gifts every year, but I always make something called Christmas Crack to give as gifts.

[This started several years ago when DH had been permanently laid off (and when he finally found a job 2 years later, he was still only making roughly half of his previous income), so I was desperately looking for something inexpensive to make as Christmas gifts for friends, and extended family, something that was quick enough to make that I could fit it in around my erratic work schedule.]

The "crack" in the name comes from the fact that the bottom layer in this sugary/starchy/chocolate treat is made from crackers, and that once the concoction has cooled, you "crack" it apart into irregular sized pieces for serving... although calling it "crack" is also applicable because everyone I've given it to says it's so darn addictive.

If you're easily triggered by descriptions of high carb treats, for the sake of your LC diet, please skip over the rest of this post!

There are loads of recipes for Christmas Crack on the internet. It's a layered concoction - crackers (most recipes call for saltines, but I've always used club crackers, since I thought they'd make a more delicate base), toffee (boiled brown sugar and butter), chocolate (semi-sweet chips), and chopped nuts (any kind will work - I always use pecans). You have the starch and salt in the cracker layer, butter and brown sugar in the toffee layer, then the sugary semi-sweet chocolate layer, and finally chopped nuts on top.

A couple of my great-nieces/nephews are allergic to chocolate, so in an effort to keep them from feeling so left out when everyone else in the family was raving about how good the Christmas Crack was, I eventually developed a non-chocolate version for them, using vanilla chips (they used to make real white chocolate chips, but I haven't been able to find any for years), with macadamia nuts. Yeah... everyone who's tried that version tells me it's just as addictive as the chocolate and pecan version.

Even with all these years of making it for Christmas gifts, I've still never tasted it. When I started making it, I'd been LC for several years already, and the thought of even tasting something so sugary and starchy sounded gross, so it's never been a temptation to me. I would definitely not suggest someone who is still tempted by carbs to ever make this stuff.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 10:48

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I like to think of it the other way around--high reward, sugary foods aren't like cocaine--cocaine and other drugs hack the reward system that developed because it gave our ancestors some survival advantage. Sugar also hacks it because modern processing makes it readily available.

Equating sugar with cocaine is fun, but also risks giving fuel to people who already want to burn down the low-carb bandwagon.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 11:49

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Girl Scout cookies should be against the law!!!! I once ate a box of Thin Mints all by myself, one after another, after another etc...never again.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 13:36

BF:

LOL--- I dont buy them anymore. TOOOO dagerouse. Used to buy 10 boxes and put in freezer... all gone in a week. NOT GOOD> lol
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 17:11

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I like to think of it the other way around--high reward, sugary foods aren't like cocaine--cocaine and other drugs hack the reward system that developed because it gave our ancestors some survival advantage. Sugar also hacks it because modern processing makes it readily available.

Yep. The only thing is that sugar (and starch) are way too readily available these days. I know we've talked about this before, but there was a time when the ONLY time people had access to sugar was when fruit was in season, or they managed to brave the honey bees to raid a honey comb.

Even with the advent of agriculture, with all it's grains, and there were ways developed to preserve fruits for the off season, the grains and fruit were rationed - none of this 5 servings of fruit and a dozen servings of grain every day. It's not just that it's available, it's pushed in such huge quantities, as if your life depends on it. Then once you're in a high blood sugar/high insulin cycle, you begin to feel as if your life depends on getting your next "fix" of sugar and/or starch.

Quote:

Equating sugar with cocaine is fun, but also risks giving fuel to people who already want to burn down the low-carb bandwagon.

I'm not sure I understand this. If we equate the addictive qualities of sugar to the addictive and destructive qualities of cocaine, I would think that in the interest of not increasing the number of addictions and the number of addicts, it would give reason to promote LC, instead of continually pushing for more and more carb consumption, creating more and more carb addicts.

Well, except for the manufacturers (maybe that's what you were talking about?) But I think they've long since figured out that the combination of starch/sugar, salt, and/or fat is highly addictive, and once the public is addicted to that stuff, consumers will pay just about any price the manufacturer asks for it, which is why practically everything in the aisles of the grocery store are laden with those ingredients.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 20:48

BF:

Visited a favorite forum today and the endless talk extolling the deliciousness of every favorite candy drove me away......cant remember the last time I had candy......and such talk can trigger a binge.....
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 21:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Teaser: Equating sugar with cocaine is fun, but also risks giving fuel to people who already want to burn down the low-carb bandwagon.

Quote:
Calianna: I'm not sure I understand this. If we equate the addictive qualities of sugar to the addictive and destructive qualities of cocaine, I would think that in the interest of not increasing the number of addictions and the number of addicts, it would give reason to promote LC, instead of continually pushing for more and more carb consumption, creating more and more carb addicts.

I had a longer version of this but it got mucky. Basically--we say, sugar, like cocaine is addictive. And then people act as if we are conflating sugar with cocaine. Or if we take a broader view and look at food consumption as addictive versus cocaine--put it that way and the thing we are addicted to is what sustains life (food not cocaine of course). Cocaine is harmful, sugar can be harmful (and probably usually is, at least the way we use it), but they're harmful in different ways. We aren't saying that if you're going to eat a candy bar, you might as well go snort some coke and be done with it. But sometimes people act like that is what we're saying. It's sort of like calories in calories out where sometimes people act like if you don't think that's the place to concentrate, you don't actually believe in calorie deficits. When meanwhile it's more like we're saying that the calorie deficit isn't best taken head-on.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 07:24

BF:

I think the most harm in sugar and cocaine come from their refined and concentrated forms.

I understand people have been chewing the leaves of the Coca plant for millions of years and in that form it's a mild stimulant, akin to coffee consumption. However I have never tried it, nor have I read scientific literature on that, so it could be an 'urban legend'.

I grew up in the midst of the drug culture, back when people snorted cocaine. I never tried it as I realized it would quickly shrink the membranes in my wallet

Bob