Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: General LC/Paleo
Stats: 151/127/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Cool Sure FEEL like a turtle!!

I am at the end of my 4th week and have lost a net of 1 lb. (lost 4 right away from water loss and gained 3 back just as fast).

I follow the program exactly the way the book spells it out, I exercise 6 days/wk, I don't use sweetners of any kind, drink lots of plain water, etc.....

I am 34 yrs old and have 15 lbs to lose. A loss in inches would be just as good or better but haven't lost any there either.

Suggestions?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Can you give us a sample daily menu, some idea of what you eat every day? It's hard to help people without that. Also, I'd like to recommend that you begin a journal to help track your progress on this way of life. It seems to help a LOT of people, plus it helps you receive more support and ideas from members who read your journal.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 10:53
Registered Member

BF:

Ok - here's a typical menu. I don't vary it too much from day to day.

B: 2 eggs, either hard boiled or in an omelette with cheese. Also decaf coffee w/full-fat cream (probably 1/4 cup or so b/c I like it light). Sometimes I'll have 1/2 an avocado before an early morning workout if I wake up hungry.

L: meat leftover from dinner over 3 cups romaine w/2Tbsp blue cheese dressing

S: hard boiled egg OR deli roast beef w/cream cheese OR brie cheese OR celery w/blue cheese dressing

D: some sort of meat over 2-3cups lettuce w/cukes or broccoli

Water: 100oz/day on average (plain H20)
Exercise: running & weightlifting

I log everything into fitday - it helps me keep track!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 03:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaw00
omelette with cheese. Also decaf coffee w/full-fat cream (probably 1/4 cup or so b/c I like it light). Sometimes I'll have 1/2 an avocado before an early morning workout if I wake up hungry.
L: 2Tbsp blue cheese dressing
S: cream cheese OR brie cheese
D: some sort of meat over 2-3cups lettuce w/cukes or broccoli

Ok, I'm going to mention what I can, but I'm no expert.

1. You MAY still be rebuilding muscle tissue, or building new muscle tissue, because of your exercise during this first phase of the plan. LOTS of people don't really lose until their body is fully repaired.

2. If you're having more than 4 ozs of DAIRY/day - NOT just cheese, but all dairy - you may be stalled because of that.

3. Most of the time we have to tell people they aren't eating enough vegies. You might actually be going overboard a little - just a little. What does FitDay say your carbs are and, if you know, the daily calories, too? Also, what KIND of avocado are you eating? One type is half the carbs of the other. I'm not criticising your food choices - you're eating foods that are VERY good for you. Are you eating more than 10-12 times your current weight in calories? That's kind of a general rule of thumb to determine if people are eating ENOUGH, usually. Are you counting your coffee carbs? Does the deli meat contain carbs?

4. Salt content in foods can cause you to hold on to water weight far longer than you would really want to. Deli meats, as one example, tend to be high in sodium, but you're not really overdoing it, as far as I can tell.

5. And, finally, the amount you need to lose is SO LITTLE that your body just may be resisting the change. It could just take a while. Some people don't lose that last ten pounds for a good year or more. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not going to happen as fast as you wanted.

Also, and I'm NOT certain of this, I seem to recall something about cucumbers specifically being detrimental to weight loss. But, again, this is a vague memory and may not be accurate. I'll have to see if I can find the information I'm half-remembering. If I do, I'll post it here for you.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck. I have so many other health benefits, aside from losing weight, that I know I can't afford to ever give up this lifestyle. Hopefully, you'll find benefits, too.

#5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:

yes, I have definitely found benefits in this WOL, that outweigh the lack of losses.

I use fitday to log all my food, so I can be pretty sure that I'm getting accurate numbers. I average 22-23 carbs before subtracting fiber, then I average about 16 or so net carbs. (I haven't been subtracting, BTW).

I average around 1800 calories/day, which I was wondering if it was TOO much...?

I buy the California avocados (the bumpy ones), and I think I will cut back on my salad a bit. I do log my coffee, etc...everything.

I won't give up the cream in my coffee, but I could cut out all cheese for a week or so and see if that helps.

I hadn't heard that about the cukes - thanks for mentioning it.

Thanks for the suggestions...I appreciate all the feedback from all of you!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:20
Registered Member

BF:

I am NOT a big proponent of counting calories. In my mind, one of the joys of low-carbing is not having to count them much. But, going by the local rule of thumb, you should be eating 1370 to 1644 cals/day. 1800 is not that much more, but perhaps you can cut it down just a little in some way that doesn't affect you much?

I'm going to suggest something I'll probably get kicked for. (cringe) I think you could add a few carbs without a problem because you're definitely well past Induction. And, you're eating plenty of vegies, etc. How bad would it be to use whole milk in your coffee instead of cream? Would that be fewer calories? Yes, more carbs - very many more? Would it bring it down just enough? (Please don't kick hard - I mean well.)

I've never been as close to my goal weight as you are, so I haven't really learned how to tweak low-carbing to fit with a lower calorie intake. There are people here who would do a much better job than I, but apparently they haven't noticed this thread yet. Perhaps, as you scan messages, you could search for someone else who has very little weight to lose - with several steaks or lobsters or a buffalo by their name. Then, ask that person directly.

I'll keep looking for that cucumber info, too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 09:53
Registered Member

BF:

*chuckling* Thanks. And no, I would NEVER kick someone who was trying to help me!!

I agree about the calories, that we shouldn't pay too much attention, but also that I might need to pay a LITTLE more attention.

I called the Atkins ctr this morning to see if they had any tips--basically it sounded like the woman was just running down a checklist. She didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. She did say, however, that I should cut BACK on my fat intake (butter, mayo, & oil) --that surprised me. I was really just adding them because I thought that's what we were SUPPOSED to do! LOL!

It's all trial and error. I'm going to keep my cals around 1500, plus a little more to compensate for my exercise, mix up my veggies a little more, and see what happens.

You're the best! Thanks for your help...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/122/110
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default eating fat vs not

This really confuses me, too. In the chapter on fatfast he says basically that if this (fatfast) works for you "maybe any change in that direction" will help. I understood that to mean more fat - less calories. SOoooo I went out and bought lots of fatty things (lots of mayo, pate & beef chuck, etc) and hb lots of eggs so that I could try to make a change in that direction to see if it helped. Now what?!