Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 14:04

Plan: Dr. Greg Ellis
Stats: 340/318/180 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Jenn, have you found that Boots have Atkin's products or is there a Boots close to you?
I found Atkin's frustrating and some of the science was a little fuzzy. I know that some of his ideas were good but there are flaws to everything. I do a program by Dr. Greg Ellis which makes a lot of sense. He has a website with a lot of stuff to read before anyone makes any purchases. I bought one of his e-books and it is cuts through a lot of the nonsense in the low carb industry which in some cases has become a means for people to make a lot of money at the cost of the facts. If you want to check him out, I could give you his website. After reading his stuff I hardly eat a lot of Atkin's type stuff and has really freed me up from this carb counting mentality. It just may save you the frustration from trying to find Atkin's stuff. Don't get me wrong I like his shakes and bars but Ellis' research will enable you to eat much more than what you think you can and realistically lose at the same time.

I have a website up and running where I import something from Canada if you'd like to have a look and see what you think. I would value your opinion and may help to get the low carb site off the ground over the next while. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Peadar
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 12:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/172/145 Female 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress:
Post nearest low-carb stockist to Carlow?

Just found site today, want to say hi to all, and does anyone know of any low-carb stockists near Carlow ? I'm particularly looking for somewhere I can get Splenda sucralose-don't want to have to suffer the Dublin traffic if there's anywhere closer!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 15:57

BF:

Hi,

I know that you can get Splenda at some Dunne's stores but you may want to ring them as not every shop carries it. When I go I just purchase 2 or 3 at a time. I'm not sure about Carlow but maybe Waterford or Wexford may have a Dunne's. Isn't there one in Wexford Town? Bit of a drive but not as far as Dublin.

Peadar
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 09:28

Stats: 180/172/145 Female 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Thanks Peadar-I'll give Dunne's a try-apparently Kilkenny's my nearest, so I'll call them first
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 03:39
Registered Member

Stats: 170/144/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

hey!

Not sure if the Dunnes Stores in Kilkenny sells Splenda but Boots in Kilkenny definitely does, and the Atkins bars etc. Haven't tried them myself yet though...

jennifunk: A really handy cookbook is '500 Low-carb Recipes' by Dana Carpender. The recipes are very basic, you'd have most of the ingredients already and lots of them are quick to make. I've found it really good for general day-to-day eating - rather than special-occasion stuff, not that I really cook for many of those! - and it's really kept me from getting bored and eating the same thing over and over. I got mine in Waterstones in the Jervis Centre but I've seen it other places too.

Veda
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 05:46

BF:

Veda, is Waterstones a book shop? Do you remember which floor that was on? Cheers. Peadar
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 02:03
Registered Member

Stats: 170/144/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Peadar,

Waterstones is a book shop, it's on the ground floor of the Jervis Centre, in the corner by the main escalators. But I've seen this book in other bookshops too, just can't remember which ones.

Veda
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 06:59
Registered Member

Stats: 260/238/170 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Peadar,

I was in Waterstones in the Jervis Centre yesterday and the had one copy left. Maybe it would be an idea to ring before calling in.

Dave
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 19:56

Stats: 255/225/165 Male 68"
BF:
Progress:

I buy chocolate bars, which are sold for diabetics, in Thorntons. They have a few outlets in Dublin. Don't know about the rest of Ireland but I'm sure there are branches around the country. The bars are tasty and show the carb content on the wrappers.
Remember too that if Boots in Liffey Valley are sold out of the Atkins range you can get them in Holland & Barretts in the centre.
I'm on the Paleodiet at the moment and getting great results in the health and weight stakes (or should that read steaks?).
Gerry
Leixlip
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 19:59

Stats: 255/225/165 Male 68"
BF:
Progress:

Splenda is carried in all Superquinns!

Gerry,
Leixlip
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 03:02

Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Just a question about Splenda,

I was in Boots, Blanchardstown yesterday and they had the little splenda thinkgs for tea/coffee and they had a big jar (one spoon of this is as sweet as one spoon of sugar).

But it had about 97 g of carbs for 100 g of Splenda, there was some other stuff mixed up with it. I was in a rush so I can't remember what the other ingredients were. Is that ok to use, or is there different types of Splenda in Superrquinn??

thanks,
Gagalina