Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 16:24

Plan: modified
Stats: 166/164/145 Female 5'9"
BF:flabby/to/firm
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Can you feel the burn?!! Yah, that's the tingly, stinging feeling right?

Ok, so I figured I may as well start this thing once and for all. I'm not a hard core keeping track person, but maybe I'll start. I need to get serious about this and stop putting it off. Lately though I just haven't had any motivation to do anything. I mean, this is my second year of college and I dread going to class. Something this year feels so different. I have no motivation towards my education. All I feel like doing is going to work, coming home, researching weight loss, and chilling out. I guess that after 14 years of school, I'm getting pretty damn sick of it. I feel like I have an obligation to myself and to my family to finish though. I'm the first one to go to college and it's been my dream to graduate college since I've been five. My lack of motivation might be because I'm not attending the university that I had hoped. I was suppose to go to San Diego State University. I was so excited to go there. The campus is beautiful, the weather is nice, and the people were so nice. Instead I met my boyfriend. Yup, I did the obvious. I followed him to Cal State Monterey Bay since I knew he couldn't get accepted to SDSU. Ugh, ok, I'll stop complaining. What a gym log huh? Alright, I guess that's why I have my diary

Alright, so yesterday I bought a treadmill. It's kind of a cheap one, but it works, looks decent, and I'm determined to have good cardio vascular health. Ever since I was a kid I could never run the mile in P.E. I always wanted to run the mile all the way through. My dad was always in to track too, so on weekends I'd go with him to the track and he'd have me run with him. Boy was I pathetic. I want to be able to go visit him in AZ and actually keep up with him. My plan is to use my treadmill for 30 minutes every morning. At least 5x a week. I hope I can do it. I'll just have to think of the money I spent on it. That should be motivation to do it. My mom told me to put the receipt on the fridge. I should put in on the pantry instead, because it is oh so evil!

Yesterday I cheated. We went to outback steakhouse and the end result is that now I'm 153 lbs. It's also TOM, and I hate that guy

So I went to the nifty site that built posted in her gym log. www.exrx.net is awesome. It tells you what to do for exactly what you want to achieve. I love the graphics because without em, I'd be totally lost.

So I'm thinking that this is how I'll do it. I'm open to any suggestions for tweaking this, so let me know if I'm doing this wrong.

Day 1: AM cardio workout for 30 minutes.
PM Weight training. Upper body.
*****Chest press:
Instructions
Preparation

Sit on seat with upper chest just above grips on lever. If available, push foot lever until lever is within grasping range. Grasp grips with a wide overhand grip; elbows out to the sides just below shoulders. Release foot lever.
Execution

Press lever until arms are extended. Return weight until chest muscles are slightly stretched. Repeat.

*****Dumbbell Bent-over Row Muscles targeted: Back, general

Preparation
Kneel over side of bench with arm and leg to side. Grasp dumbbell.

Execution

Pull dumbbell to side until upper arm is just beyond horizontal or height of back. Return until arm is extended and shoulder is stretched forward. Repeat. Continue with opposite arm.

Comments
Allow scapula to articulate but do not rotate torso in effort to throw weight up.

Note to self: I feel so stupid when I tried to do these in the past. I always feel like I'm doing them wrong!

*****Dumbbell Upright Row Muscles worked: Deltoid, Lateral

Preparation

Grasp dumbbells with palms facing front of thighs.

Execution

Pull dumbbells to front of shoulder with elbows leading. Allow wrists to flex as dumbbell rises upward. Lower and repeat.

*****Dumbbell Triceps Extension Muscles worked: Triceps Brachii

Preparation

Position one dumbbell overhead with both hands under inner plate (heart shaped grip).

Execution

With elbows overhead, lower forearm behind upper arm by flexing elbows. Flex wrists at bottom to avoid hitting dumbbell on back of neck. Raise dumbbell overhead by extending elbows while hyperextending wrists. Return and repeat.
Comments
Position wrists closer together to keep elbows from pointing out too much. Let the dumbbell pull the arm back to maintain full shoulder flexion. Consider using seat with back support. Back support should not be so high that it interferes with dumbbell being completely lowered (i.e. full range of motion). See suggested mount & dismount

*****Dumbbell Curl Muscles worked:Biceps Brachii

Preparation

Position two dumbbells to sides, palms facing in, arms straight.

Execution

With elbows to the sides, raise one dumbbell and rotate forearm until forearm is vertical and palm faces shoulder. Lower to original position and repeat with opposite arm. Continue to alternate between sides.
Comments
Biceps may be exercised alternating (as described), simultaneous, or in a simultaneous-alternating fashion. When elbow is fully flexed, elbow should only travel forward slightly allowing forearm to be no more than vertical to allow for a relative release of tension in muscles between repetitions.

*****Abwork
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2: AM Cardio
Lower Body

*****Lever Leg Extension Muscles worked: Quadriceps

Preparation

Sit on apparatus with back against padded back support. Place front of lower leg under padded lever. Position knee articulation at same axis as lever fulcrum. Grasp handles to sides for support.

Execution

Move lever forward by extending knees until leg are straight. Return lever to original position by bending knees. Repeat.
Comments
Stabilizers are used during heavy resistances to prevent body rising off of seat.

*****Lever Seated Leg Curl Muscles targeted: hamstrings

Preparation

Sit on apparatus with back against padded back support. Place back of lower leg on top of padded lever. Secure lap pad against thigh just above knees. Grasp handles on lap support.

Execution

Pull lever to back of thighs by flexing knees. Return lever until knees are straight. Repeat.

******Sled Lying Leg Press Muscles targeted: my big fat ass aka glutes

Preparation

Lie supine on platform with shoulders against pad. Place feet slightly high on platform.

Execution

Extend hips and knees. Return until hips are completely flexed. Repeat.
Comments
Adjust machine to accommodate near full range of motion without forcing hips to rise at waist. Keep knees pointed same directions as feet. Do not allow heels to raise off of platform, pushing with both heel and forefoot.

****Abwork

Ok, so that will be a two day split, then rest on day three and then resume on day four and five, and so on and so on.

what I'm wondering is, is there any particular order that I should be doing these in? Also, since I'm going to be on extremely low carb, (induction level 20g's) will this be healthy with weight training? I'm not sure if I need to carb up and what not. This is so confusing!!

I think I'm gonna have to ask built or liftnlady for some major help on this. I also think that I'm going to have to change my plan ya know, maybe just tweak it a little. CKD, TKD, LMNOP whatever they're called, sound majorly confusing. Eat at this time, carb up for an hour, and one hour only. Aaah!! Maybe I should just eat carbs on the days I weight train? But how much, and how early do I have to do this before my workout?

Alright, well I need to eat something before I pass out. I finally went to the market! yay! I'm not a starving college kid anymore. Let me tell ya though, the market was sooo packed and full of sick ass pervs staring at me. Can't a woman shop in peace these days? I swear I went to the market looking like I just woke up, because I did just wake up. I threw my hair in a pony tail and threw on some jeans and I was gone. Go figure
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Did you eat cheese fries at the Outback?

A couple comments/questions.

1. Are you pretty much new to weights?
2. What are your plans in terms of set/reps per exercise?
3. If you only plan to do the aforementioned lower body exercises, you should do more sets of each movement to compensate for the imbalance between upper and lower body volume.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 18:23

Thanks for replying Thunder

OMG, is that your body in the picture? Because if it is can you saw "WOW!!!" What a really nice, rock hard, hot body! Alright, enough with the drooling

I'm not really new to weights. I've done them off and on. The longest I've gone was three weeks. Not too much.

As for reps and such, I'm not exactly sure. From what I've read, the more weight the better, but then I'm assuming that it has to do with what you're trying to achieve. I know chics can't get bulky, but I mainly want to look lean with some visible muscle, not too much though. My main goal is to have my waist shrink and the scale go down.

So I should do more sets on my lower body to have a better balance?

Also, what type of diet should I follow. I'm currently doing Atkins, but I think that the carbs are too low for weight training. Do you have any suggestions on that? Should I carb up on weight days? Ugh, ok, one thing at a time I don't wanna throw a bunch of stuff at you!

Thanks

#4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 09:53

Ok, so today I feel completely pathetic...

On monday I went did 30 minutes on my treadmill, and then in the PM I went to the gym and worked my upper body hard. I'm still sore two days later. Well anyways, I was gonna go to the gym last night and do my lower body, but the more I procrastinated, it got too late. I did however buy two new pairs of Adidas shoes

So today I weighed in at 151-152. I don't know what's up with the scale. I need to stop weighing myself everyday.

So this morning I decided to do the treadmill again. I got weak soo fast. My mile time is completely pathetic since I hardly have any cardio vascular health. I'm such a bum. Anyway, my mile time is like 18 minutes! WTF? I can't run all the way through yet and it's so frustrating. I want to get the sh*t done with by running all the way through. I planned on running/walking for 30 minutes, but after 18 I was done. I just stopped and now I feel dizzy. I did some abwork, and I attempted to do some lunges. HAH!! yah freaken right....I so can't do those. There has to be something good to work my ass that doesn't have to do with lunges/squats. They have to be really effective though, especially since they hurt like a mo' fo'.

It's really foggy outside and it's all rainy. I love this weather.

I want the scale to go down damnit! go down!!!!!!

I think I'm going to see some of my family on halloween and I want to looks soo good.

Hopefully I'm gonna go to the gym today and work my lower body. The leg press is broken, so there goes one of my main exercises. Great huh?

I'm outtie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 12:06

This morning i did 20 minutes on the treadmill. My ass is sore and I'm a happy gal. Well not really, but my ass is sore. go me.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 17:16

After being a bum, I decided that i need to whip my ass into shape. i get so motivated sometimes, but then it goes away. Blah.

Anyways, I did the treadmill for a sorry 15 minutes today. At least it's something, and I did ab work.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimissy
LMNOP

LMFAO!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 19:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 267/264/220 Female 65 inches
BF:33/?/25
Progress: 6%

Keep trying to do the lunges they take a bit of work to get down.i started only bieng able to do 10-12 lunges and now (when provoked to do so)i do them in 4 sets of 40.Not my favorite excersise but they do thier job on your glutes and quads
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 14:08

I feel good right now! I'm dripping with sweat and I'm a happy gal!

I ended up forking over a few buck for Winsor Pilates, or as my bf would call them, winsor "pilots" haha, what a nerd. I felt such a sense of accomplishment by finishing the dvd. I normally can't stand exercise tapes because they're all bouncy and over peppy. This one made me feel relaxed and I felt the burn! After that I did a 20 minute 3.5 mph walk on my treadmill. It was only a mile, but I still feel good

Last week I cheated too much, around every other day I did and now I'm up to 155. Hell no. F no! I've worked so hard and I'm not going to ruin this because of a biscuit or a cookie. It's not worth it.

Here's to a better low carb tomorrow and today!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 13:42

Oct. 18 20 minute Pilates
Oct. 19 20 minute Pilates with a few extra moves and stretches

The Pilates challenge is soo awesome!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 10:07

Saturday october 23: 45 minutes of heavy weight training and abs

Sunday october 24: 45 minutes of heavy weight training and abs

My scale is hidden so I can only weigh in on fridays! aah, the suspense is killing me!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 12:14

Tuesday: 45 minutes weight training, abs, 10 minute of moderate intensity on the stationary bike

I hope I can stick to this for once. I always do one week totally hardcore, and then I flake out. Come on, I have to do this!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I know what you mean about only going at if for a week or two! That is one of my biggest problems. I can't figure out how the motivation leaks right out of me!

Good luck & keep going

Teri
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 10:59

Wed Oct. 27: 5 minute bike warm up
45 min weights and abs
11 mod intensity on stairmaster
5 min Pilates ab exercises/stretching

I'll have to say that this day was good

Thursday, oct. 29: rest day
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Yes, I know where Victorville is, my husband has family that lives there. If you moved from there to the coast I can see why going back is not an option. Looking over your log I see that you're a college student. Hang in there, as the second year is probably the toughest to get through motivation wise (according to my daughter, who graduated last year).

I am biting the bullet, and signing up for a 5K fun 11/13, to date the longest run I've done in 2.10 miles, but I figure if I can run that far, I can run 3.2.

Teri