Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:11

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 190/190/135 Female 5'0
BF:not sure
Progress: 0%
Default sweet treats on the induction phase?

Ok not sure if this question has been answered yet
What kind of sweet treats can you eat on the induction phase?
I 've seen the recipes on the site but aren't most of them geared towards the later phases..
I'm so ready to eat a chocolate donut..My will power so far is that I lost 9 lbs since my induction phase.Atleast that is what the scale says...
Help me before I run and buy one....
Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:31

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Try going to www.atkins.com they have some great recipes and you can do a search by the phase that you are on. Treats are a little limited in the first 14 days but after that it's pretty easy to find something good.

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:40

Oh Jenn, YOu are aGod send..Thanks for saving me..
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:48

Ok so I want to make a chocolate mudslide and it call for heavy cream and vanilla and cocoa powder..Can I have that on the induction phase and is it a tiny amount? I don't see them as one of the ingredients on the induction list..
Michelle
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 17:07

BF:

If it's on the atkins site and has the little square for phase one I would say go for it. Just don't eat it by the gallon or even daily for that matter. Keep it a treat. I know some might disagree etc. but when I was induction I used the atkins site a lot. I watched and measured my portions too. But if I found something like that where it wasn't in the book yet it was listed I assumed that since it was the official site, it was fine. You are losing weight just fine. Use your own judgement. If you notice a difference after eating it take that into consideration. Induction is 2 weeks so if you are beyond that point I would highly suggest adding some new foods. It's so worth it being able to expand the foods. It makes it more of a way of life than a 'diet.' It also might save your sanity. You will have to let me know how it turns out. I myself am craving the savory pumkin bake ahhhhhhhhhh tomorrow it's all mine!!!!! hehe

Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 17:21

I'm headed to the store to buy whipping cream sugar free chocolate syrup..I'm also going to get some atkins bars..It says that you can have up to one a day as snack or meal replacement...I emailed the atkins people a few days ago and that was in the response..
Though it may cause weight loss to stall in some people., but it's better than eatiing a chocolate donut from the store.
Michelle
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 17:37

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

A great Induction legal treat is sugar free jello and whip cream. You can add a packet of splenda to the whip cream and it's really yummy! I also made whip cream with a packet of splenda and 1/4 teaspoon of cocoa powder, made a choc. mousse. Not sure if cocoa is legal, but it helped me curb the chocolate cravings!

Good luck on your low carb journey.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 19:56

BF:

Watch out for those bars.. you might be spending the afternoon with a terrible belly ache and not being able to stray far from your toilet. I think they should have been labeled laxative bars myself.

Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 05:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
Progress: 46%

Be careful!!!! Seriously, the Atkins induction list is there for a reason, to teach new eating habits, portion control and eating real, whole foods! And please don't fall into the LC bars, and lc treats trap too early - this is still not recommended on induction, and could slow you down.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 06:41

BF:

Mommy- if you have Dr. atkins New Diet Revolution ......... under page 129 there is a paragraph on convenience foods (thats the induction section of the book) Also on pages 232 - 235 is atkins very own recommended induction menu. It DOES include controlled carb shakes. **But he only has you having 2 of those in a weeks time. **So maybe use that as your guide and save your shake/bar for days you are on the go and really can't grab a snack from the kitchen.

Jenn
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 06:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
Progress: 46%

I agree that as an emergency measure they are better than eating foods not on induction, however, as I said earlier, the important thing is to really try to eat as many whole, nutrient rich and natural foods as possible.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 07:29

Yes, I agree with all of you..I'll save the bar for the emergency..
It's the TOM well it should be coming soon and that's when I want sweet things.
Thanks mIchelle
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 07:37

BF:

Don't get discouraged if you suddenly see you are up a few pounds during that time. My scale ALWAYS went up but about a week later I would get back to normal.

jenn
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/181/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default treats

Now that I am out of induction my favorite treat is fresh berries with splenda and heavy cream. If you noticed in the book the cream actually masks some of the impact that the natural sugars have on your glucose levels. Target has a seasonal chocolate bunny filled with peanut butter. It is a to die for special treat especially for tom but watch out cuz if you get used to these treats you tend to get back into the old WOE.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 13:13

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%

I also get temptation and I've tried to stay below 20-30 which is Atkins-PP induction/phase1 limits.

I bought a bag of Russell Stover's LC mini peanut butter cups. .5g per cup. I don't eat one everyday, only occasionally when the temptation is just too strong. I found that my desire to stay LC stops my sweet tooth from taking control of my eating habits.