Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm interested in hearing more about this :-)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

Yes I am also I lost 4 k in the first 3 weeks and nothing since. This is the end of my 7th week and have not lost any weight or measurements since the third week.
I have not had anything I should not have and am still keep my carbs between 20 and 30 mostly at the 20 end of the scale. I do have a fair amount of cream cheese cheese and cream but do not go over the recomended amounts on most days.
I have to add I am feeling really good and worried if I go off even for a meal I may not be able to get back to this WOE.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 21:11
Pending Member

Stats: 282/222/200 Male 6 foot
BF:not sure...lots?
Progress: 73%
Default Pizza Pigout

My wife and I did a Pizza Pigout, followed by Baskin Robbins. I gained 4 pounds overnight...but I dont mess around! When I crash I go hard.
I lost 2 back by this afternoon, but we are back to straight induction. Gotta get more greens in the diet.
I will keep posting the results of being off for a night.
Luke
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 07:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'd like to echo the question above about refeed principles.

Is there any hard evidence regarding exactly WHAT a refeed should contain? I mean, would it be SUGAR, (the enemy..), ALSO?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:12

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I plan to endulge on carbs when I'm in Cancun next month, hopefully that will jump start some weight loss for me!

I'm losing like 1/4 lb a week, or nothing
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 00:04
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Here is what works spectacularly well for me.

Essentially, I stay on induction all the time.

Every other weekend(or every third weekend), I break it hard, starting on Friday night. Actually, I nuke bomb it. Gut grenades galore. Dr Peppers, peanut m&m's, cheetos, mcdonald's french fries, you name it......... even beer.

On these "breakout weekends"(ALWAYS planned well in advance) I behave until Friday night. At that point, it's time for the fun to start. Saturday is absolutely sinful. I indulge like a total pig. This keeps up until sunday afternoons, at which point I will eat some more sugar, but no more carbs.

Monday morning, I'm back on induction hard core.

I have been on atkins for two months now, and have lost 40 pounds.

TC
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 00:43

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Reading this and the attending articles has been very informative. Tomorrow is Sunday, and I think I'll eat whatever comes to mind. Since I haven't been eating more than a thousand cals a day, or more than 25 carbs, it might shake up my metabolism some. Then on Monday, do a Body for Life day, then go back to Atkins induction, just to see what happens.

Thanks for all the good information.

Deb
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 00:53

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

deb.. just be careful i did this tooo and got back on induction for about two days then i fell off the wagon... ... and ive been off the wagon for 2 wks now... yes you get a woosh but is it worth falling off ???

please be careful
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 01:12

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Hi LuddyBell, I promise I'll be careful. This all makes sense to me, but my son is getting married on the 14th and I can't afford to go high carb for too long. Just want to see what the overall effect will be on me, and if the BAD cravings come back. If they do, and I start roaming the kitchen, I'll eat some protein and be back on track. Thanks for thinking of me.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 01:26

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:

no problem you have a better will power than i do.. bc after bingin on doughnuts and doritos...i kinda lost track LOL... and now im up 6 lbs!! ugh...
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 01:52
Registered Member

Stats: 216.4/188/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

The links listed above in Post #9, by Groggy60, explain everything very well. Here is a very brief excerpt from the second one in reference to leptin:

"What I am now going to suggest that the dieter should do may appear, on the surface, to fly in the face of common sense. In order to keep fat loss going, the dieter needs to eat MORE, not less. And, I do not mean having a slice of pizza or eating maintenance calories for a day. I am talking about what is essentially pigging out for 12-48 hours -- and, to top it off, most of your calories will come from the evil 'carbohydrate'.

Last edited by Mellow : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 02:00.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 00:40

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120

Hmm. I wonder if that isnt what Ive been doing with the nuts. Ive been too busy and stressed to cook much, and those bags o' macdamias have been available, every time. -last thurs I was up two lbs. AHH!

I felt like a lightbulb went on when someone said "Thyroid slows down after a couple of months" . ZOWIE! I feel like I hit a wall after 2 months! Lower energy, irritability. This might just be the ticket-if used wisely.

BUT-thursday is my big day. You know, Ive stayed with my limits on the carbs since last Thursday (ok, maybe up to 30 g, and the extra cals have been burned, no question). IF, I find Ive stayed the same or dropped fcome THIS thursday, I will know if refeeding will work.

Thursday and Friday are BIG days for me-three clients on Th, two on Fri plus two classes. I can see prepping for it by refeeding wednesday and thru thurs. quitting Thurs night. Id have the extra carbs and calories when I NEED them.

Everyone keep your posts up, Id love to hear how this works out.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 08:01
Registered Member

Stats: 261/200/175 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I'm not sure I really believed the "re-feeding" stuff. I'd been "stalled" for a month or more...though wasn't bothered by it. When with some buddies to a couple of baseball games...had to have a couple of dogs and nachos...a few beers!!! "gained" back a pound...but now am two pounds down from my weight before I pigged out at the old ball park. Now I'm a believer. I am from Missouri afterall and we are the "Show Me State".
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:12

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I've been following this thread with much interest. It seems to me that the people who actually benefit from a brief carb binge may be those who have slipped into "starvation mode" without ever noticing. A brief (1-2 day) carb binge may be what your bodies need to convince them that it's actually "safe" to continue depleting your stored "reserves" (fat cells).

If that's true, there could be two possible reasons that some do not restart their metabolic engines: either you weren't really in survival/starvation mode to begin with (your body was simply "pausing" to adjust to past losses) or...you were in survival/starvation mode, but you didn't present your body with enough carbs to "convince" it that metabolizing your reserves (fat cells) was safe.

Is this all making sense?

The key would seem to be to find a way to be sure that you were actually in survival/starvation mode. Once you've identified the problem, you can work toward developing a solution.

Has anybody got any idea of how to know if you are in survival/starvation mode for sure?
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:17

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

gee it all seems like a licence to eat carbs,,, where do I sign up and how much does this licence cost? ..... I decided to look up this part of the forum IN CASE later I stalled ( well we all do),,,, the last thread I read was to eat only eggs, cream and butter and thats it,,this thread said to ``bring on the carbs``... hmm,,, wonder if its going to be best of 3 threads for me,,, All the best guys....