Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default have posted many times about a stall, has anyone else had a long stall????

Hi, I have wrote in since August, about not losing. I have been on since June 16th, and I lost 35 pounds in the first 2 months, and since August nothing. I have tried everything, I started back walking thinking it would help, but it's not. I will continue to walk cause I know it's good for my heart. I stop drinking(alcohol,low carb beer). For awhile now. I stopped the Atkins candy bars, I'm not going to quit cause when I even cheat I gain 5 pounds the next day, and no I don't cheat all the time I did once. I was frustrated. Still am. So now I'm into my second month of not losing, has anyone else had this problem. I have gotten advice about what to do and I have done all of it, drank more water,got more calories, cut out some calories, take vit., exercise, ate more green veggies. So I just want to know if anyone else has had a long stall. I can't get past 185.I started at 220. Please let me know. I'm sorry to keep writing about this, but I'm not moving.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:55
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

I've been (or am, I'm not quite sure yet..) where you are, I didn't lose that much at first. I've been stalling at 9 lbs for 7 weeks, looks like the stall is broken as I'm down 2 more lbs as of last Monday......

I made a few of my forum friends go through my Fitday.com (a nightmare to keep but an absolute must to keep track of what you're eating)

Turns out I did not eat enough carbs OR calories. My balance between fat & protein was also far off. I changed what I eat (still working on it) and whoops 2 lbs down right away. One thing fitday can't do: deduct fiber from carbs to get digestible carbs (to count when doing Atkins) but it's dead easy to do the deduction yourself. Acc to Atkins, you should eat at least your body weight (in lbs) x 10 or 12 in calories. The perfect calorie breakdown is:

4 -10% should come from Carbs ( no more than 20g of Carbs)
25 - 30% should come from Protein
65 - 70% from FAT

If you eat less of carbs and cals, your body goes into starvation mode = stall. A stall is (acc to DANDR) a period of 4-6 weeks without any movement on scale or measurements.

Basic FAQ tips for stalls:
- up the calories (if too low - based on your weight in lbs etc)
- lower the calories (if too high - " )
- drink more water, drink more water and some more water
- cut down on salt/sodium
- skip any kind of sugar alcohol/fake sugar, even Splenda. as it can send confusing "sugar"-signals to your system
- make sure you're not eating foods with "hidden carbs". Use Fitday scrutinously.

I got a very informative e-mail from Atkins support during my stall, if you like I can mail it to you, send me a PM with your e-mail adress as it's too long (4 pages) to send in a private msg

From one of my forum buddies Becky160 I got this link. She successfully broke her stall with "refeeding" I think she did this for a weekend. You can read about the leptin hormone and refeeding here:
http://www.theministryoffitness.com...s/article18.htm

You can also check directly with Becky160 what she did and how it affected her.

Good luck to you, hope you break your stall !

Last edited by Nille : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 09:04.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:15

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have lost a total of 25 lbs in almost a year. I had stalled for five months of that year. Atleast, I call it a stall because I did not take any measurements during that time and I do not know if I lost any inches. A true stall means that not only has weight loss stalled ( I think that has to be in a total of 6 weeks ), but there has been no loss in inches either. I did not like the fact that I had stalled but I continued to plug through this "diet". Then in August I had lost 5 lbs. I think that it was because we bought a new home that has 2 flights of stairs and that its where my exercise came in. I am hypoglycemic and peri-manopausal so that has to be computed into the weight loss, or lack of.

In my opinion, it is more important to stay consistant so that your body can get a clue as to what you are doing. If you make too many changes, that could be more detrimental than a cheat. Every year, I make the resolution to lose atleast 20 lbs. Therefore, 25 lbs is more than what I could have ever hoped for in the past. I have set up goals with Atkins WOE and I have discovered that I have expected more from this diet than what my body is willing to respond to, which isn't fair to myself or Dr. Atkins. My final goal is to weigh 125 lbs. I will get there whe I get there.

Black57

To be successful in anything, one must be consistant.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:20

Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default ok

Hi, ok I don't understand the refeed thing. But I think I'm getting enough calories.I wear I should be. I don't know hwat to do, I 'm getting really frustrated. I'm not losing inches either.

Last edited by Lacey O : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 09:22.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lacey, pauses in fat loss are normal and as you're finding out, unavoidable. Your body is really in control here. This is when we need to focus on other aspects of our lives and our new WOL. Yeah, it would be nice to have it all come off a little at a time, every week, but it just doesn't seem to happen that way. And from personal experience, I can tell you that the one time it did, it all came back on a few months later.

Most of us didn't watch the scale or use a tape measure when we gained the weight - so we have no clue where we stuck on that journey. Fat loss (and fat gain) is never a constant one way slide, there are pauses and stops.

My suggestion is to take this time to become an expert on Lacey and LC. Enjoy your new size and wardrobe. Enjoy your new healthier lifestyle. Your body will catch up. The next few months are going to pass by regardless of how we eat or what we do - all we can control is how we face that time. It helps to think long term, IMHO. I am a LCer, I will be eating this way for the rest of my life - the fat can't help but come off.

Cheers,
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:38

Stats: 220/193/154 Female 5'6"
BF:

Well Lacey, you're ahead of me! I was just this minute lamenting on the fact that I'm stalled for the past 8 weeks - truly stalled - Have been faithfully following the low carb eating and, to add injury to insult, I have been going to work out (Curves) 5 times a week (upped it from 3 times a week thinking that it would help break the stall). Well, I GAINED 2 lbs. the first month (I know that old 'muscle weighs more than fat' but I ain't buyin' it - I'm not 198 lbs. of muscle!

I started at 220 Feb 24th so, according to my path, you're ripping along! Wish I was at 185...

I also am frustrated - to the point of thinking of switching to another type of diet. I'm going to stick with this through December though; If I'm still stalled by then, I will reassess (and probably get a dr. app't to check my labs...).

My husband is down 50 lbs; sucks to be me!

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:43

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

i've been stalled for 2 months now, but it is my own fault.
(coffee, random cheats with sweets)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:18

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

Lacey O-Congrats on your success so far and I just wanted to tell you not to give up!

Last spring, I was on Atkins for four months and felt great, lost inches and 15lbs, toned my body and became a perfect size 6.

I became a little lazy about meals and started to eat sugar alcohols and bars and eventually they got me craving processed foods and really high carb food.

I went off of Atkins for three-four weeks after having so many bars and eventually eating pizza and pasta! I gained back all of the weight and inches! I totally regret giving up because all of my hard work went down the drain. I am now starting over bar and sugar alcohol free and will never go off this lifestyle again.

You have showed great willpower and strength and stick with it. Don't give up. Before you know it you will get over this hump but it may last a little while so try to be patient. You body just doesn't want to push yet but it will when it's ready! Good luck and I know you will meet your goal!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I had a 16 week stall during the spring/summer. While there are things that I could guess caused the stall, I really don't know the whyfore of it. I have since lost 13 lbs. without changing anything significant.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:34

Stats: 138/133./107 Female 57.5
BF:37%/27%/?
Progress: 16%

Hi Nille,
Thank you for the informative post. I just had a question about the % breakdown:

"4 -10% should come from Carbs ( no more than 20g of Carbs)
25 - 30% should come from Protein
65 - 70% from FAT"

What does the "4-,25-, 65-" mean? and shouldn't 10% + 30% + 70% add up to 100% or am I reading it wrong?

Linda
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:38
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Stuck here with you Lacey, haven't moved anywhere in months now. I wanted to get to my goal weight by Christmas, use to think that would be no problem. The stuff was just falling off! Well, times change, but my body hasn't since the begining of August.

Don't try the refeed thing, that much I know! Sure, so people are lucky, and whoosh! All it did for me was set me back. Took a week to two weeks to get back to where I was.

Guess there is really nothing I can do but go on, and be happy for where I have gotten so far. Easier said than done. On the up side my husband has been stalled longer than me, and not he has lost 5 pounds in two weeks. (I hate him ) Guess I can always hope some of that fairy dust will rub off on me.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:42
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

By the way Great advice Natrushka !
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

Hi Lacey O:

My friend Nille wrote me to come over this thread and see if I could help you out. she has done a GREAT job explaining you the most important things to know during induction.

In order to be able to help you, I need to see your Fitday.
Do you have a Fitday Account?
How long have you been in Ketosis?
Are you still in Ketosis?
How many calories a Day are you eating?
How much fat do you eat?
Do you skip any meals?
How much water do you drink?
do you measure yourself?
Have you lost any inches since then?

Please answer these questions...From here I will be able to help you out. Believe me! But I need your cooperation.

See you soon.

If you want you can send me a PM.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 13:03
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Stick with it Lacey! Imagine where you'd go back to if you quit this WOE now. You are doing so well! It's totally normal to stall like this, although it makes you want to pull your hair out. I stalled for about 6 weeks after Induction, but then one day the weight started coming off again. I didn't change my eating habits, and I didn't try a bunch of radical things to get it going again — my body just started losing again on its own. It will happen for you, just keep at it!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 13:21
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Default Hi Linilinda !

About the breakdown - it's all down to maths. Carbs, fat and protein procentage of what you're eating will always be 100%.

This is the formula: fat x 9, protein x 4, carbs x 4 = amount of calories.
(as 1g of fat has 9kcal and protein & carbs have 4kcal/1g)

From my Fitday the other day:

Total: 1429 Calories
Fat:108 970 69%
Carbs:40 75 5%
Protein:90 360 26%

It all depends on what you eat. Other days the procentage can be different, more fat, less protein, but it will always end up 100 % total.

I don't like Fitday, but it helps me to keep control. Most of us does not eat enough of one or the other (fat, carbs, protein).....In Fitday the other day I found I was way under in carbs that day. Through the programme I found out I could meet my target by eating a tomato etc. It's all a learning process, and it does not work for everybody. But it helped me and it might, just might, help somebody else. We're all different, but when you've stalled for a long time, it's better to try other ways of doing stuff instead of giving up. I wish it was more simple......

About the refeed, - as I understand it, it can be done in different ways. It's about finding the method that works for you....and if refeed is for you at all. The same as for any other advise. I agree with Nat, learn to be an expert on yourself, what makes YOU lose or stall.....like I said it is a learning process. I'm still a novice and learning every day.