Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/210/185
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Just had gravy... how bad?

I have been doing really well the last 7 days that I have been on the Atkins diet, but today I ate at work and had some salisbury steak (sp) with some mushroom gravy. It was dark and it didnt taste sweet at all... did I just screw up my diet? It was only about 3 or 4 tablespoons of it but I am still worried. I also had a small salad with blue cheese dressing. Anyway, give me some good news guys.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 14:51

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Gravy is normally thickened with corn starch or flour. Both no no's on the induction diet.

No telling how many carbs, because you don't know what they used or how much.

Drink lots of water to help flush it out of your system.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 15:00

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Question Salisbury Steak?

The Salisbury Steak, while yummy I'm sure, may also not be the best thing. I dunno how they make it where you ate, but generally it is made with bread crumbs or some other type of extender. Don't mean to rain on your parade by any means, but it may have some of those pesky hidden carbs, too.

Congrats on being halfway through induction!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 15:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

How bad? The worst - simply awful - horrible. Feel better now?

While not an 'optimal' LC meal it is also not the end of the world. One meal in a future of LC doesnt amount to a hill of macadamia nuts, so to speak. Drink your water, and then some extra and be on the look out for any cravings or feelings of hunger that often accompany things like hidden sugar or flour - eat protein if you feel this way, it helps with the cravings.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 15:12

BF:
thanks for the input guys. I will do a Ketonic test tonight and see if it made a difference. Last night I was at "moderate" on the scale...almost dark purple.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 16:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Bad for you..

Man..

And here I am sweating about the carbs in my latte that I just had...of course I had it with half n half watered down..and our college guy is sweating over salisbury steak...amazing how we worry about such different things. I would much rather have the latte' than the steak...does that mean I am a Starbucks addict?

Laura
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 16:51

Stats: 194/174/120
BF:
Progress: 27%

Starbucks addict? If you are, I am too!

Decaf, of course, for now.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 16:55

BF:
Default Addict

*Sigh*,

Guilty as charged.. I do make my own when I can..but there is just something about Starbucks..
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 20:05

BF:

ahhhhhh, my Ketogenic level is down to "Trace". This sucks, I feel so disappointed. I am drinking so much water and I worked out for an hour and a half an hour ago. Hopefully that burned off all the carbs. I HATE CARBS. I'll check in the morning and see if my extra efforts this evening helped.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 21:08

BF:
Default Trace

I didnt think there was much wrong with trace..I am not usually much over the one above that..I thought it was okay if you were in trace....and sometimes..there are people that still lose that never show anything at all...so dont despair..

Laura
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 21:18

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Smile Trace is good

Quote:
Originally posted by collegeguy
ahhhhhh, my Ketogenic level is down to "Trace". This sucks, I feel so disappointed. I am drinking so much water and I worked out for an hour and a half an hour ago. Hopefully that burned off all the carbs. I HATE CARBS. I'll check in the morning and see if my extra efforts this evening helped.

If you've been drinking lots of water, that will be part of the reason why the reading is trace. Dark purple means you are dehydrated, so drink up the water every day.

Water will help with the halitosis that accompanies ketosis. Check out this recent thread for more info.

Of course, I'm making an assumption a young college guy won't want to have bad breath .

Please don't hate all carbs. You need your veggies; and of course eggs, bacon, cheese and a lot of other good LC food has some carbs. Your (and our) biggest battle will be hidden carbs. You can ask to have salisbury steak (or anything for that matter)with no sauce, or sauce on the side. Then you have better control over what you eat.

Good luck
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 21:27

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I have some canned beef gravy here and it has 2 g carbs / 50ml (about 1.5 ounces) so the gravy might not be too bad. The salisbury steak could be worse! Oh well, what's done is done! I have never been above trace level on the ketostix either.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 21:38

BF:

again thanks. It probably wasnt as bad as I thought, but I was just really worried about it. I dont want to screw this diet up.... Oh and yes, bad breath is not something that I would like to have. I brush as much as possible so it hasnt gotten bad...according to my girlfriend.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 07:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by collegeguy
ahhhhhh, my Ketogenic level is down to "Trace". This sucks, I feel so disappointed.

Collegeguy, Ketosis is Ketosis is Ketosis. It doesnt matter the colour - it's all a sign of fat burning. Darker usually means you're dehydrated - BAD bad BAD! Drink the water and dont worry about those little stix. They are more of an idicator of stress than fat burning

Nat