Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi Lucille, we're still around. I wasn't near the fires. Only thing that affected me was the smoke and the boil water advisory. I had encountered at work a lot of people who were evacuated and/or lost their homes. It was tough hearing some of their stories.

As for atkins...I'm still on it. I've been staying the same weight the past couple weeks. It's starting to get frustrating but I'll keep it up.

Don't worry about not keeping up during this time. I can see how the stress could get to you. That fire is unbelievable. I'm sure you can get back to this WOE.

Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 15:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Okanagan Low Carbers..

Hi Everyone, just been reading your posts and wanted to introduce myself. I have just moved to the Okanagan area and have been looking for low carb grocery places. I read your tips re: springfield and save-on.. thanks a lot!

I was in the low carb centre in north van a month or so ago and think that it would be great to have one in kelowna. There seems to be lots of low carbers in the area. I found the items quite expensive.. but I guess that's the cost of being slim! what do you guys think? Maybe we should open one

Anyway, I'll check back later.
Have a great day! Sarah
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 22:26

BF:

hi Smiler...I haven't been doing as well with my low carbing since my grandfather passed away but I plan to get back on the wagon shortly. I really haven't been here much lately either...maybe coming back here will inspire me to get back to LC.

You're right...LC products are quite expensive. Seemed like I was spending sooo much more on groceries. I'm going to try to stay away from the so called LC products out there that cost an arm and a leg. I'll stick to the more natural foods this time around.

Hope all goes well.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 185/154/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi all you Okanaganites

I just recently joined this forum and found this thread. I just read all the posts, so I thought I should introdouce myself too. I live in Westbank, and have been on Atkins since June. I've lost 30 lbs, but have been stalled there for the last month or so. I got as high as 32 lbs. but keep bouncing up and down. I'm pretty sure my problem is the treats I'm having. My New Years Resolution is to go back on induction and lose the 20 lbs to reach my goal of 135.

Some of the places I shop for low carb are:

Sweet Solutions (on Pandosy across from Lakeview Market) for lots of Steele's products; Sunshine Market (4600 Lakeshore Dr.) for all kinds of low carb foods.
and of course those that have been mentioned here as well. I found the cheapest Atkins bars at Superstore, and almond meal at SaveOn.

BTW - I hope you've all signed the petition to McNeil foods for the return of liquid Splenda. I'm fortunate in that I know some people in Oroville WA, and I just ordered some from lowcarber.com (along with some wheat protein isolate) but boy, it's not cheap - 2 8oz. bottles of 0carb syrup base (liquid Splenda) and 5 lbs. of WPI cost me $104 Cdn (including $18 US shipping charges). They don't ship to Canada, which is unfortunate but understandable.
When we picked up the package at our friends, we didn't even bother opening it, other than to slit the tape and remove the packing slip. We delcared it at the border and the customs officer took a look at it in the trunk and asked "does it always come like this?". Of course we didn't know what it looked like, so we just said yes. We had to take it into the customs office, and when we looked at it, there was a clear plastic bag full of white powder, with a knot tied in it and no label. (We found the label later in the packing slip pouch) Fortunately for us, the guy inside must have seen it before, because he asked if it was a flour substitute - to which we anwered yes - and pushed it across the counter to us and said "Have a good one".

Somebody mentioned some "Frisk" candies in an earlier post. Can you tell me where to get them?

Has anyone heard any more about the low carb store that is supposed to be opening here in February? I read about it in the paper a couple of weeks ago - a company from Vancouver is supposed to be opening a branch (franchise ?) here.

Well, enough of my rambling. Nice to meet all of you, and looking forward to continuing conversations.

#35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 01:14

BF:

hi PurpleRain...Nice to see someone new from the Okanagan. Aren't those treats just evil. I'm going back to induction myself for New Years. I was really pleased with the way things were going and want to get back to it. I'll have to go check out those shops you've talked about. Have you found anywhere that sells DaVinci syrups here? My mom sent me some lemon tea for xmas and it's soooooooo good. I didn't know there was a LC shop coming here. I can't wait for it though.

sounds like you had quite the adventure coming across the border. I haven't been down to the US yet but when we head down to Vancouver for my husbands birthday we'll probably take a day trip across to check stuff out.

Well, nice to meet you. I'm going to try to get in here more often.

Allison
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 16:08

Plan: my own off and on
Stats: 244/193.4/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 79%

hello everyone im in vernon and though id say hello since we are neighbourds and all
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 21:31
Registered Member

Stats: 185/154/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Allison;

I'm pretty sure that I saw DaVinci syrups at the Sunshine Market. You might want to give them a call to confirm as I'm not 100% sure that's where I saw them. They have the most varied selection of LC products that I've seen anywhere. They have nice meat as well - cut on the premises by their own butcher.

Lorraine
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 23:38

BF:

Welcome thenicestp...Glad you could join us.

Thanks for the tip Lorraine. I'll probably go check it out tomorrow.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 12:30

Plan: atkins( induction)
Stats: 252/124/115 Female 60in
BF:55%/19%/15%
Progress: 93%

Hello
I am also from Kelowna and live a lc life. NIce to see more people on this forum that are form the okanagan. I hope you are all doing well !!!!! Good Luck Lynn
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 22:38

BF:

Still haven't made it to check out Sunshine Market. Soon hopefully.

Hi Smuffy. Wow, you've done so well! awesome job
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 23:09

It has been a long hard road but very much worth it. I am finding Kelowna more and more accepting and helpful with this wol. BUT 2 years ago it was dam hard now more people are finding this wol works so it is good now. Good luck Lynn
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:58

BF:

I can imagine it was tougher 2 years ago. I remember thinking people were crazy to give up bread and potatoes and pasta etc. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be and now there are so many options becoming easily available (like LC bread and atkins products, and LC menu options, etc). I still don't buy many of those because of $$$ and slowing weightloss but it's nice to know they're out there.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:59

They totally slow weight loss for myself so I stay away from them but I will be at my goal soon so i am sure I will try to interduce them to my diet. I just hope they don't make me gain as I am so sensitve to carbs. Oh well we will see then. Lynn
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 15:17

BF:

Kelowna Costco finally has Atkins Endulge bars... Caramel Nut Chew or PB cups for $19.98 a box. They've had the Advantage choc lovers packs for a while but this is the first time I've seen the Endulge. Bought a box today and put them in the freezer for yummy treat once in a while
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 22:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone...

Purple Rain, do you remember where you saw the ad/article of the Vancouver LC store coming here? I am seriously getting close to opening my own LC shop in Kelowna just for you guys!!! Gotta check out the competition!

Was it an ad? or article? I did an archive search online for the Daily Courier and didn't find anything. If you remember the date.. I would really appreciate!

Cheers, Smiler

Smiler