Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-00, 14:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

FMS - Fibromyalgia Syndrome CFS - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Many practitioners are recommending a high-protein, lower carbohydrate diet for managing symptoms of these two debilitating illnesses.

(1) Fibromyalgia: A Comprehensive Approach and The Fibromyalgia Relief Book by Miryam Williamson,
http://www.mwilliamson.com/regimen.htm

Until late in 1997 I ate a what I thought was a very healthy diet: about 50% complex carbohydrates, 20% proteins, and 30% fats (avoiding hydrogenated and saturated fats as much as possible.) . . . . . Now I am on a high protein, low carbohydrate diet consisting almost entirely of animal proteins and vegetables, no starches and no fruits. . . . . . . To my surprise, I find the diet quite satisfying. I have lost all interest in sweets. I am no longer overweight -- by my standards, not the insurance company charts. (If I weighed what the charts say --and I have, in earlier times -- I'd be gaunt.) I have more energy than ever before in my life. The reason: in my case, insulin turns carbohydrates into fat instead of energy. This, I believe, has been the cause of my fatigue in years past. The condition I've just described is called insulin resistance.
. . . . . . The way I eat now (I don't consider it a diet in the weight-loss sense) is based on Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution by Robert C. Atkins M.D. I count carbohydrates, not calories. I maintain my weight at 40 grams of carbohydrates a day. A typical slice of bread contains 20 grams of carbs, which gives you an idea of what this way of eating means. It's worth it for me. If you try this, you must drink at least eight 8-oz. glasses of water a day

Copyright ©1999, Miryam Ehrlich Williamson - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
--------------------------------------------------------

(2) Reactive Hypoglycemia (RHG): FMS&MPS Complex Perpetuating Factor . .. . Dr. Devin Starlanyl,
http://www.sover.net/~devstar/hypogly.htm

People with reactive hypoglycemia (RHG) are often over~weight although this is not always the case. Those that are overweight are usually unable to lose the extra weight. A fat pad develops on your belly, and it won’t go away no matter what you do. The often overlooked factor about eating carbohydrates~ is that they stimulate insulin production. Insulin enables blood sugar to move to our biochemical “factories” in the cells, where it’s burned as fuel for your body. If there’s already an excess of insulin in your blood, and you eat a high carbohydrates meal or snack, the excess carbohydrates~ are stored as fatty acids in fat cells. If you have excess insulin in your blood, when you need more fuel your brain will tell your body not to use the stored fats as fuel. You become hungry for fast energy, so you eat more carbohydrates. You not only gain weight as fat, but you are also prevented from losing this fat.

RHG is common in people with FMS and FMS/MPS Complex. In FMS, it is enhanced by dysfunctional neurotransmit~ter and hormone regulation and other systemic mechanisms. Growth hormone, for example, is important in the regulation of glucose (Cryer, 1996), and yet it is often deficient in fibromyalgia (Crofford, 1996). Estrogen irregularities can affect glucose metabolism. With FMS, you crave carbohydrates but can’t make efficient use of them because of an electrolytic imbalance and other biochemical imbalances in your body. We produce adrenalin even when the blood sugar doesn’t fall. We know that the conversion of glucose into energy is abnormal in fibromyalgia (Eisinger, 1994). You crave carbohydrates, because you need energy. Since your insulin level is high, you take the carbohydrates and store them as fat, often around your belly area. Fortunately, by eating a balanced diet, you can teach your body to eliminate your excess fat by using it for energy.

Weight loss on a high carbohydrate diet is mostly water and muscle loss. Any subsequent weight gain is fat gain. The more carbohydrates you eat, the earlier adrenalin is produced as the blood sugar goes down. Blood sugar swings are more extreme and faster the more carbohydrates you eat.

Serotonin regulates the appetite for carbo-rich foods. This is influenced by our darkness and light cycle. Often carbohydrate cravers overeat only at certain times of the day. The rate of conversion of tryptophan to serotonin is affected by the proportion of carbohydrates in a person’s diet.

Barry Sears wrote a book called “Mastering The Zone”. It explains in detail why a ratio of 30/30/40 (the ratio of protein to fat to carbohydrate) is the healthiest for many people. . . . . This is one tough diet, because if you need it, you really crave carbohydrates. You have to try it for only a few days before your body informs you, “Yes, this is what you must do!” because you are attacked by whopping headaches and extreme fatigue as soon as your body begins its struggle for balance. Your excess fat will start to break down, and release large amounts of toxic substances and waste material. It is not fun. But diet alone is a treatment that works.

You must learn to eat moderate amounts of fat. Fat with your meals will decrease the flow of carbohydrates into the bloodstream and decrease your “carbocraving.” Cut down on the amount of carbohydrates you eat. Eat protein as part of your meals. It helps use up the fat stored in your body. When starting a meal, it is wise to eat some protein first. That allows its products reach your brain first. Exercise regularly to decrease the amount of insulin in your blood. Be sure to drink at least 8 ounces of water or a sugar-free decaffeinated beverage with each meal or snack.

Thanks to Drs. Lynne August, Barry Sears, Paul St. Amand, Janet Travell and David Simons and the Wurtmans for the basic research.
------------------------------------------------------

(3) DIET AND FIBROMYALGIA -- From FIBROMYALGIA - NUTRITION RESOURCE CENTER 1-800-229-3376

Fibromyalgia patients should eat a balanced, whole foods diet to provide the body with the nutrients it needs to function well and to replace the nutrients that are depleted on a daily basis. Many of those with Fibromyalgia are high sugar eaters, and therefore every effort should be taken to minimize sugar intake as it an adversely affects energy levels when taken excessively. . . . .Try eliminating common food allergens such as milk, corn, wheat, eggs, and nightshade vegetables such as tomatoes, potatoes, pepper and eggplant.

Adequate protein is also important because it is used for tissue repair, in particular ligaments and tendons which are largely protein. Protein deficiency occurs in the diet when it is deficient in food containing the essential amino acids, or from an inability to digest food properly.

Sufficient Essential Fatty Acid in the diet also appears to be important, especially if it contains Gamma Linolenic Acid or GLA. In a study of 63 patients with post-viral fatigue, and myalgia, Essential Fatty Acid supplementation resulted in improvement in 74% of patients after 1 month and 85% after 3 months.
----------------------------------------------

(4) What your doctor may NOT tell you about fibromyalgia R. Paul St. Amand M.D.'s strict diet for hypoglycemia and weight reduction
http://www.guaidoc.com/PAGES/hypoglycemia.html

Hypoglycemia, low blood sugar, is .... an illness with many complaints. It represents a syndrome better defined as "carbohydrate intolerance." It is expressed by the inability to use certain carbohydrate loads effectively without adverse consequences. Some hypoglycemics suffer simultaneously from another condition, fibromyalgia, an illness that causes chronic symptoms similar to hypoglycemia. Simply put, the fibromyalgic has a deranged metabolism inducing contracted muscles, ligaments and tendons, which constantly burn fuel. Energy deprivation occurs system- wide. For those with a predisposition, yielding to carbohydrate craving provides the final push to induce hypoglycemia. These are ill patients who suffer overlapping symptoms of combined diseases. No compromise is allowed with the carbohydrate intolerance syndrome. One eats correctly or the illness continues. The reward is great, however, since well-being is exhilarating when contrasted with the disabling symptoms of hypoglycemia. It is yours to control.

Only a perfect diet will control hypoglycemia. It is not the food one adds but what one removes that determines recovery. Patients must eat no table sugar, corn syrup, honey, sucrose, glucose, dextrose or maltose. All heavy starches must be avoided including potatoes, rice, pasta etc. (see below). Excessive fructose is provided by the several pieces of fruit needed to make one glass of juice. Caffeine intensifies the action of insulin and is also forbidden.

Each hypoglycemic's tolerance for foods will vary. Judge your tolerance level by how you feel and adjust your intake of foods accordingly.

"It is not necessary for anyone to load their diet with carbohydrates, because the body can easily manufacture all it needs. Despite this fact, it is common for people to consume carbohydrates in the belief that they will be superenergized."

[Edited by doreen T on 27-11-00 at 16:32]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-00, 15:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Great collection Doreen! I think we should add this to our "Studies" section?

Wa'il