Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 17:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Unbelievable. Amazing.

I put the coconut oil on my scalp a few days ago and for the first time in a LONG time....my scalp doesn't itch AT ALL!

I've reached up once or twice out of habit...caught myself and said "hey!....it doesn't itch!"

Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 17:18

Plan: self directed
Stats: 209/169/145 Female 5"6"
BF:
Progress:
Question

Can someone please dumb down the subject of coconut oil for me? I'm new to this and it seems worth trying.

Which brand of coconut oil worked for you?
What type and size do you buy (gallon virgin, 8oz cold, etc)?
When you're applying it to your scalp how much are you using at a time? Does all the hair need covering or just the scalp?
For those that take it orally, how are you doing so, just a measured quantity taken like a shot? Added to food or drink? How much per day?

Thanks for any direction!

Last edited by helev : Sun, Nov-25-12 at 17:20. Reason: change email notifications
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 03:31

Plan: paleo
Stats: 220/220/150 Female 5`-7"
BF:
Progress:

Hi helev,

As a long time sufferer of SD, I hope to be able to give you some info on what I use and my routine, because I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to understand all the abbreviations and verbage if you are seeking homeopathic help for the first time.

I, too, have tried the steroidal creams, the cortisone creams and cortisone liquid (could only get that via Rx). I always hated using the steroidal creams especially, hated the harsh chemicals I was putting on my face, but what choice did I have? The alternative was not using it, and my face literally looked like it was burned. Red, Scaley, Flaky... and on top of all that loveliness, my face was working so hard to correct itself, that I would get cystic acne which caused scabs. I still have pictures so I could email them to my dermatologist.

For me, I always got the worst of it, when the weather changed from hot to cold or cold to hot. I dreaded winter...

I stumbled upon Coconut Oil at a Hawaiian festival (my DH is Hawaiian ), where they advertised it as helping with Psoriasis, Eczema and SD. I figured it was only $8.00, so if it didn't work, I wouldn't be out much money.

It's a cosmetical grade liquid, meaning that the base "unscented version", has been refined so much, there is no more coconut smell that you smell in a container of the coconut oil that you cook with. It comes in a blue squeeze bottle with a black cap. They have so many scents you can add, but I usually stick with the unscented version because DH is sensitive to scents.

* I took it home, parted my hair in sections (just pretend you're dying your hair), and squeezed the contents into my scalp, into and around my ears, along the hairline, and combed my hair through.
* Put my hair into bun, and let it sit all day, while DH and I watched movies.
* About 12 hours later, I washed my hair with just conditioner (I use Wen but only cause I love his summer scent, smells so yummy!), you can use whatever paraben and sulfate free shampoo/conditioner you like.

I noticed immediately that the scabs on my scalp, the redness, and the dreaded flakes were gone. Best thing was that my scalp didn't itch anymore (hooray! ). I still do this 1x a week although, now I only do it for like 4 hours. Usually on Sundays when hubby is watching (errr, more like yelling) at the football game, and I'm doing chores around the house. The only thing I have added now, is I add macadamia nut oil (found at your local whole foods or Amazon), after the coconut oil (macadamia nut oil will pull the coconut oil into the scalp even more, since it's so close to our natural oils) but the macadamia nut oil is for shine and nourishment to the hair shaft.

For my face, I wash my face with a gentle exfoliant cleanser, and put the coconut oil onto my chin, around my nose, on the cheeks, and always around the hairline. I do this about 3x a week.

It's been 6 mos and I haven't had an outbreak since... and let me tell you, it's unseasonably cold for us right now, as I type this, it's 37 degrees outside and has been cold and raining for much of the week ... no outbreak at all! Seriously, I am so happy to have found a solution, and an all natural one at that.

So, where do I buy these products you ask? Well, I highly recommend the cosmetical grade oil. Do a Google search for "coconut hut beauty" and you'll find it.

FWIW: I have run out and have had to use the coconut cooking oil you buy at the local whole foods, etc., and it does work but it's just a pain in the ### because it's a solid, and after you melt it down in the microwave, you have to work fairly fast to get it on your scalp before it starts to harden (it doesn't harden on your scalp, because your head is warm enough, and keeps it from hardening).. BUT if you use it in a squeeze type bottle for faster application, it will harden in that bottle, and if you try to use the oil the next morning for spot treating, you'll have to thaw it out (running it under hot water will do the trick, but the cosmetical grade just makes it easier)

I realize I just wrote a book, and for that I apologize. If you have any questions, pls don't hesitate to reply back. Good luck and let me know how it's going!

Last edited by poseysmom : Mon, Dec-31-12 at 03:37. Reason: updating email notifications
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-13, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Great info!

I wonder if I have seborrheic dermatitis in my eyebrow? About 6 months ago , I began noticing a patch of dry flakey skin in one eyebrow that gets red and itchy. No amount of moisturiser or oil has soothed it. I'm going to try coconut oil and see what happens.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-13, 20:16

Plan: self directed
Stats: 209/169/145 Female 5"6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseysmom
Hi helev,

As a long time sufferer of SD, I hope to be able to give you some info on what I use and my routine, because I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to understand all the abbreviations and verbage if you are seeking homeopathic help for the first time.

Thank you so much for this valuable information! I really appreciate the detail.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-13, 12:46

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
Great info!

I wonder if I have seborrheic dermatitis in my eyebrow? About 6 months ago , I began noticing a patch of dry flakey skin in one eyebrow that gets red and itchy. No amount of moisturiser or oil has soothed it. I'm going to try coconut oil and see what happens.

Coconut oil will do the trick for it!!! Just try it out!!! I use the "regular" coconut oil, and it doesn't bother me that it is hard when the temps are below 24 or 25°C. I just scrape out a wee chunk and rub it in - as soon as it gets to your skin, it melts anyway.

It might be a wee bit of some kind of yeast infection - the spores are in the air all the time and they can land where they like!

Keep using the oil and it'll keep it at bay because the yeast will be killed off by the coconut oil.

Amanda
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-13, 03:04

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/165/165 Male 178 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Late to the party confirmation

Hello!

Since I was around 16 (26 now) I've been struggling with the redness and flakiness on my face, especially around the nose area, scalp flakiness and a really bad rash after shaving. My weapon of choice was using various moisturizing creams and I have to admit it was a losing battle, but I couldn't really think of anything else to do.

Then I stumbled upon this thread last Thursday after performing various google searches concerning "seborrheic dermatitis". Decided to go for it - why not? And holly cow! Five days later I can already see a vast improvement! Haven't used any cream since starting out with coconut oil. It almost seems like some miracle cure.

So I just wanted to say thank you Thank you guys for this thread and for the information. Only made an account to post a reply expressing my gratitude and to say that this really really works! Woohoo!
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-13, 14:10

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

That's great news!
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-13, 14:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco-nuts
Hello!

Since I was around 16 (26 now) I've been struggling with the redness and flakiness on my face, especially around the nose area, scalp flakiness and a really bad rash after shaving. My weapon of choice was using various moisturizing creams and I have to admit it was a losing battle, but I couldn't really think of anything else to do.

Then I stumbled upon this thread last Thursday after performing various google searches concerning "seborrheic dermatitis". Decided to go for it - why not? And holly cow! Five days later I can already see a vast improvement! Haven't used any cream since starting out with coconut oil. It almost seems like some miracle cure.

So I just wanted to say thank you Thank you guys for this thread and for the information. Only made an account to post a reply expressing my gratitude and to say that this really really works! Woohoo!
Its good stuff isnt it!

Jo xxx
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 17:16

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Hey gang!

Wow! I just read through the whole thread and am truly humbled by the number of people who have been helped by my simple stumbled-upon experience with coconut oil for my "seborrhiasis" (seborrheic dermatitis that acted like psoriasis by migrating to different parts of my scalp)! Amazing!

Thank you to all who jumped in and helped others while I was not here on the forum!!

My scalp is still clear, btw, and the only thing I do differently now is I started using BAQ Henna to color my hair 6 months ago after developing a (thankfully) mild allergic reaction to boxed/chemical hair coloring.

Someone asked a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago (sorry I missed the post at that time!) about what shampoo I use(d): At that time, just regular shampoo - pretty much whatever was on sale! lol I currently use only sulfate/paraben free shampoo and Wen as my conditioner (along with some Moroccan Argan oil as a leave-in - smells AWESOME!).

Again, I think it is simple amazing that something so simple was able to help so many!

Much love,

Ellen